I Have Found Where I Want To Be As A Diver In The Future... Technical Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks @bamafan. You make some good points. I realize most technical diving here in Florida is centered around caves. To be honest, as of right now I have little interest in doing cave penetrations. Perhaps I would change my mind if I experienced it, but I personally don't find Florida caves all that interesting. I understand why others do though. So why bother with going that route? I think my money would be better spent training in the ocean where I can be taught to handle the environmental issues there while technical diving.

I also realize I wouldn't be doing these dives every weekend. Especially, here on the West Coast of Florida. I imagine a situation where I work to earn a spot on the boat. Maybe fill in for someone here and there. It's been my experience on any commercial boat that if you're willing to bust your but and do work, nobody has a problem bringing a hard worker along.

As far as CCR, I only brought it up because at some point I've heard it's a wash between cost of course fees, gear and training compared to traditional backmounted doubles. By the way, it is perfectly legal to shoot fish in Federal waters on CC. Federal waters begin 9 miles off our coast.

Does anyone know someone who does technical spearfishing training? I recall reading somewhere about a few guys who dedicate training toward that activity here in Florida.

Not as easy as it seems.There is a huge learning curve in both and it is hard to find buddies who even understand what you are doing.I rarely dive past 200' partly for that reason.My group of buddies range from 4000 to 15,000 dives and most are commercial spearfishing dives and I haven't had one show any interest.I had 2 guys that dove with me but their jobs took them away.

I do see larger specimens deep in the Keys,but where I dive the bigger fish can be found in less than 200'

Sharks can be a real issue when doing long deco even if the fish are floated.The act of spearfishing can bring them in and get them agitated.

No doubt. I met with my instructor today. There's a decent core of guys he's trained/training for this type of diving in my area. Although mostly they are training on the Prism, which may be the route I go. The upfront cost is higher, but man is helium expensive!!! Wow!!! Going traditional open circuit would be really expensive for these trips. Not to mention if and when fuel prices rise again. There's a lot of things to consider. I'm going to get a decent amount of dives under my belt early this season and then do the deep diver. From there I think I really need to make the decision between OC and CC.

As far as fish, it's my understand our reef fish size and stocks blow away the east coast, especially deep... But the east coast has the viz. At least South Florida does.

Not so much .There are big fish over here and if you figure the density(pounds of fish available per square mile) in diveable waters then it's likely a wash for opportunity.There are more big fish over here though as reflected in average sizes and limits.Of course there is some pretty obvious mismanagement going on as well ARS for example.

Ask around to see how many people on the Gulf side can be found with most or all of the following minimum PBs
1.#100 black,cobia and AJ
2.#60 gag
3.#25 ARS,hog,red grouper and scamp
4.#40 AP and fireback
5.#10 mango and lobster
6.#50 cubera

Many of the guys I dive with have most if not all these or better.

You can compare what NMFS thinks of the fisheries by comparing species for species.

Gulf Stock ACL :: Southeast Regional Office
S. Atlantic Recreational Landings Homepage :: Southeast Regional Office

Keep with the training and vet anyone you're going to entrust with your life diving.I have encountered way too many kooks with awesome training and little native ability.

Do you know any commercial hunters using rebreathers??? Do you think that commercial hunters are going to ask about a certification card?

I think you should spend a year hunting the middle grounds in 130 on nitrox and then the following summer try hunting the elbow, solo in 180 on air. After that, consider what training you need..

Buying a bunch of classes may not be the shortest route to your goal. You also need to push the deco limits and see if you get bent easily, before deciding that you want to spear fish for a living in 300 ft.

Double

Do you know any commercial hunters using rebreathers??? Do you think that commercial hunters are going to ask about a certification card?

I think you should spend a year hunting the middle grounds in 130 on nitrox and then the following summer try hunting the elbow, solo in 180 on air. After that, consider what training you need..

Buying a bunch of classes may not be the shortest route to your goal. You also need to push the deco limits and see if you get bent easily, before deciding that you want to spear fish for a living in 300 ft.

I only know of rec guys doing middle grounds spearfishing on CC, not commercial. Which surprises me given the cost of these OC trimix dives. I definitely don't anticipate being questioned about a cert, but rather expected to know what the hell I'm doing and not kill myself.

That's some good advice and good points about this season and next. Can you elaborate on "pushing the deco limits"? I certainly wouldn't want to be bent way out there. How does one figure out their limit without getting hurt?

I'm itching to get back in the water. I dropped my vessel off today to have a couple repairs made and as soon as I get her back I'm going to start diving hard. Who freaking knew diving was so addicting? It's all I want to do man. This winter has sucked.

What is this thread about? A beginner diver who wants to be a deep spearfisher?

Yes, but I'm seeking guidance from those of you who have experience and have done this before me. I don't want to waste time and money taking meaningless courses, etc. I also believe hunting adds some serious risks and considerations the deeper you go. As mentioned earlier, Sharks and deco.

Nevertheless, I'll give you an example. Looking back, I honestly believe AOW was a big waste of time and hard earned money. In fact, to be frank, I feel like I'm starting to get a better understanding of the diving industry business model and it pisses me off. Perhaps there's an alternate path to get to where I want to be. Am I going to look back at the deep diver specialty after paying a few hundred dollars and say the same thing? I have no way of knowing unless I ask someone (you guys) who doesn't have a monetary interest in me.

As I've continued to research this topic I found and was referred to Chad Carney from Florida Skin Divers here in Florida. I don't know anything about him, but it appears he specializes in technical spearfishing training. Anyone know him?

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom