I Have Found Where I Want To Be As A Diver In The Future... Technical Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You left out "with a boat."
Yes, on a boat. Thanks. :wink:

image.jpg

Well you are correct, you probably don't want to get bent 100 miles offshore, then again if those guys get a little bent, I would presume they are going (back) down with some oxygen.

My point is as follows.. In my opinion, there is a pretty wide variance in the ability of different people to offgas. There are obvious factors like age, cardiovascular efficiency/conditioning, how fat they are etc. If you are around serious scuba spearfisherman, you may find that they are doing some pretty aggressive profiles. Many times 3-6 hard dives per day. A good percentage of people would not be able to do this without getting hurt (I think). So the population of these divers is not representative of the general diving population and it self selects for "robustness". Even issues like sinus congestion and the need to clear your ears so many times, can become significant limitations for some people.

There is also the issue of PFO. Before you get your heart set on following this kind of aggressive activity, you might want to make sure you have what it takes (whatever the hell that is). I am being serious and I know it sounds macho, but there are divers who are not in great shape, not young and can seemingly push some pretty aggressive dives many times without getting hit. There are others (who may have a PFO) who clearly are more vulnerable.

I had a friend who used to get elbow hits pretty frequently, doing nothing stupider than the rest of us (and he was a jogger)... although it was in the forearm/elbow which he clutched his gun with on deco. We started doing deep stops and he started moving around a little on deco and seemed to avoid those, somewhat frequent minor hits.

I've been bent a little a few times myself ( I think). Spearfishing is such a unique activity and technical spearfishing is even more unusual, so I am not so sure the normal tech diving lessons are the best. I personally have zero tech training, but have been around spearfishing for a long time. In my opinion, you will be best served by diving with good spearos, for a while in progressively more challenging sites rather than immediately taking a a loooong string of technical classes.

FYI Chad Carney lives on the east coast now, not sure if he is still active in teaching technical spearfishing, but he would be a good person to talk to about your goals. He is a nice guy and a good diver, although I personally have only been snorkeling with him.

Lastly, the guy who just gave that talk is NOT normal. Sorta like going to hear a world record holder in ultra marathon running or something, and deciding you want to do the same thing, when the furthest you have jogged is twice around the block.

Last edited:
@dumpsterDiver You definitely put some excellent perspective on this. I hadn't even thought about maybe having a doc look at my heart. I'm 35, in good shape. I used to do cardio and lift weights 5 days a week, until my son was born three years ago. Now I'm lucky if I can workout once a week. Lol. But I'm finding myself getting back in the groove, especially pool workouts. Fortunately my better half supports my love for the ocean so my time isn't restricted out there on the weekends.

I appreciate hearing from you and the other spearos who have contributed, because I believe you're absolutely right that spearfishing is unique and technical spearfishing even more so.

I'm certainly going to follow you and others advice and dive as much as possible and reevaluate at the end of the season where I think I should go from there. Although tempting, I don't want to push it too far, too fast. I'll call Chad too. I got excited when I saw we share the same area code on his phone number, but yeah, it appears he's moved to the other coast. I'm planning on making a few trips your way this year. I may attend Blue Wild and also planned another trip in May so I'll be in touch.

Btw, it's my understanding, although rare, IWR is what they do out here.

I don't really know that they do it or not,,,.. Ask him at the Blue Wild. However, I do know some divers who self treat DCS cases that they consider minor.

We had to call in for a USCG evac 90 miles out and it was more adventure than I appreciated. It is a lot windier, louder (and scarier) 75 feet under a big chopper than it looks. Our crew member is using a walker now.

As for cardio, I don't do near as much as I should, but I think it would be unwise to pursue really aggressive diving if you aren't doing 20 minutes or so, 3 times a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom