Suggestion I have to tell you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
M

MikeFerrara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
and it's meant to be constructive but the pop up adds that flash in my face when I post or something are about as irritating as a thing gets. I suppose i'm sensitive to things like that but it's about like geting poked in the ribs over and over and I'll make it a point not to buy anything from some one who pays to have something like that flash in my face.

Check your computer for Adware and Spyware. We don't allow or use pop-ups on our server. The pop-ups AREN'T from us.

Switch to Firefox or get the Google toolbar for IE.

I'm using Firefox and have never seen a popup from scubaboard. :eyebrow:

Those pop-ups aren't from ScubaBoard.

You have some program running in the background generating those. Download both Ad-Aware and Spybot Search And Destroy from download.com

Between these two programs, you should be able to find and [automatically] clean your system. Some can be tough, so you might have to reboot into Safe Mode (Press F8 as soon as you see Starting Windows or whatever on the black screen, right after the BIOS on startup) and run them in Safe Mode to get rid of it all.

Definitely not from SB though.

The add I'm talking about is a scuba toys thing and I have a whole IT department whos supposed to keep the spy ware out...but who knows.

MikeFerrara:
The add I'm talking about is a scuba toys thing and I have a whole IT department whos supposed to keep the spy ware out...but who knows.
Speaking as one of those IT guys, spyware is virtually impossible to keep off of systems. Unlike viruses, they get installed through legitimate programs, trusted web pages, etc. There's no good way to catch them at the router or firewall level, as of yet. The only good solution is to periodically run spyware detectors on your system, but that's very time intensive and costly for the staff, so few places do.

It's odd that the popup ads are from Scubatoys, but I promise they are not coming from SB.. they are coming from a spyware program.

Mike:
The scubatoys ad is a banner at the top of the page. Is that what you're talking about?

Is that the banner add or a pop up? I've only seen the banner ad myself, but you could be seeing something else alltogether.
For anyone using IE, I highly recommend the Google Toolbar. I haven't seen a pop up add in years.

Natasha:
Mike:
The scubatoys ad is a banner at the top of the page. Is that what you're talking about?

No this flahes up lower on the screen and then goes away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom