I just don't log dives,why not?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I use it to answer such on a regular basis.. I dive wet and dry, with and without camera, with different undergaments, with different tools, etc..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

If I were in your position I wouldn't log dives, either. For those of us who aren't living next to an ocean and diving nearly every day, diving may still be enough of a novelty to make the time worth while.

That's kind of where I was going with it. For me, logging is a form of diving related entertainment. Much like participating on scubaboard. If I could go diving every day, I would prefer to do that. Since I can't I do things that keep diving in my mind.

Dennis, explain to me why a dive professional "needs" to log dives. Your reply is very narrow, and not at all representative of why I don't log dives.

When I was doing scientific diving and government diving, keeping a log was requried by the diving manual. We were required, for example, to make 12 dives per year, at least one in the last 6 months, and annually had to dive to the deepest authorized depth to maintain that certification and so on. That made for a simple dive log, one line per dive listing date, location, buddy, time of dive. Pretty simple. Yet, when I stopped scientific diving I stopped logging dives. I still dive 10 to 15 times per year, most of it in Alaska, sometimes more if I make a trip Outside. When I go Outside, I keep a journal of my activities including my dive times and locations.

Dive logs are the original, low tech, social media of scuba. I dived with people who would go out to lunch after a morning of diving. I would often skip lunch because I wanted to get an early start on the one hour drive back home. I recall one conversation where one of the buddies was concerned about the dive counting because I was not there to sign the log book. These folks were very disciplined in keeping detailed logs and celebrated various milestones in the dives they logged. For them, keeping a log and sharing it was a personal and social experience that added greatly to diving. It is not for anyone.

As far as diving internationally, I have been to Oz, Cocos Island, Bonaire, Galapagos, Canada, Mexico and a few other places and pretty much everywhere in the US except the northeast and never have I been asked for a logbook. I get by with my delaminating basic diver card issued by PADI in 1984. I have been questioned about experince. When asked in Australia what my recent dives were, I replied that I did 10 boat dives and eight shore dives the year before. When they asked me where, I replied, "Prince William Sound and Resurrection Bay, Alaska." That was pretty much the end of the questioning as it provided what bona fides I needed to prove I was a diver. Must have been by big knife strapped to the inside of my calve as well.

I never got into the whole paper logbook thing...my computers keep track of all my dives....I download them once or twice a year....and I have all the info I would need once I download them .

I know how much weight I wear with different suits and different tanks , I don't need to look at a log to "remember"

Also,I'm in Mexico now and Ive been doing 2 to 3 dives a day every day for the last 2 months....I just cant be bothered to write them all down on paper.

#1 I'm LAZY

#2 I very often make pretty much the same dive, with the same person. I could write interesting things about each and every dive and 99.99% of the time I enjoyed each and every dive, but.... see item 1.

I didn't log dives until 4yrs ago when my GF got certified. And I've met many divers who still don because the computer downloads !

Either way I wouldn't judge you !

As far as the sport/hobby thing, logs serve different purposes, keep track of cool things you see, the journal aspect, and keep track of pertinent data, i.e. depth, SAC, temp, etc. this is the statistical side of things.
Right now, my log serves two important functions for me, beyond - and IMO more important than - the weighting/gear/SAC data masturbation:

1. As a learning tool: I keep track of my skills development and whether or not I did things I shouldn't have done, or could have done better or differently.
  2. As a diary/record of new dive sites. Last summer I was boating around with a guy who still logs dives even if he certified some 30 years ago, looking for places to dive. "That site? Hmmm... (checks log). Nope. Flat bottom, mud, nothing to see." The entry was several years old, and he probably wouldn't have remembered the conditions if he hadn't had his log.

I HAVE been asked on a number of occasions to show my logbook. Some places DO require it and if you can not produce one you will not be able to get on their dive boat! Their boat, their rules, their liability :idk: Cop an attitude .. it won't change a thing.. no log book, no proof of recent dives.... no diving. I would suggest before traveling that you check about this requirement. If you find having to show a log book to prove your RECENT dive history insulting.. you will likely find the resultant requirement to take a "skills refresher course" with the Operator's staff even more insulting!

I HAVE been asked on a number of occasions to show my logbook. Some places DO require it and if you can not produce one you will not be able to get on their dive boat! Their boat, their rules, their liability :idk: Cop an attitude .. it won't change a thing.. no log book, no proof of recent dives.... no diving. I would suggest before traveling that you check about this requirement. If you find having to show a log book to prove your RECENT dive history insulting.. you will likely find the resultant requirement to take a "skills refresher course" with the Operator's staff even more insulting!

Must be an Oz thing ... I've never, anywhere I've traveled in the world, been asked for a log book. It's good to know that if I should come to your part of the world I might be asked for one, so I could avoid the dive ops that would require it. And although I could easily fire up my laptop and show them my dive history, I doubt I'd be comfortable with the "my rules" aspect of such a dive op. If they should care about my abilities, let's get in the water ... any dive guide worth the name would be satisfied in less than a minute.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes I agree I have been asked a few times as well, have also been threatened to have to show a dive log but then after filling out the paperwork, there was no issue. I take a log but only because I log, not for any other reason. I laughed once where I took my log and it was a new one with nothing in it, all it had was my latest dive number, and all my stats on deepest, coldest, no of deco dives etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom