I just don't log dives,why not?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep it is an Ozzie liability thing. They will accept a digital log. The places I have had to show my log book have been in Queensland. They have a lot of regulations there and the dive ops are afraid of the consequences if they get caught breaking the rules. I guess there have been too many incidents with the number of divers that go there to dive the GBR.

I guess the devil is in the detail and it is always a good idea to check about any additional requirements when you book.

As far as indicating on SB my dive count. :idk: Doesn't seem an issue to me. People can say whatever they want about their dives and skill. I think in the end people will come to their own conclusions based on posting patterns anyway! IMHO the only sure way to know is to dive with a person or have the word from someone whose judgement you trust about their in water skills. I don't see the point of talking up or down my dive competence. I dive for my own enjoyment and to share the experience with my buddies not to impress someone I will likely never meet in person :)

When I look at the number of dives a poster has it doesn't indicate to me his level of skill but it may help put into perspective the post. And there are always lots of variations of posters. There are posters with thousands of dives that I think are idiots and others with less than 500 dives that always have thoughtful answers.

I do not have a log book.

What I do have is a very good memory.

Also, I have a number of "dive guide" books, marine charts etc. which I keep notes on and or stuff literature into. These act as a reference for future dives, gps numbers, hotels I might have liked, boat ramps. Of course Google Earth made some of that redundant.

As to tracking weights and suits and all of that, meh, of no use to me. I have multiple different rigs and suits and so does my wife and somehow we just seem to manage.

N

People faking dive logs to do dives that they aren't qualified to do? I think that's an urban legend...

Ive witnessed someone buy a dive log book and sit at a cafe filling in a few dives to a certain depth to prove they had the "experience" needed to escape a scuba review and easier first dive before walking into a dive centre that requested it. Dive logs prove absolutely nothing. They're worthless as a tool for that.

The easiest way to assess a divers competence is give them a tank, BCD and regs then say "OK, if you just set your kit up i'll be back in 2 minutes with a briefing".
If they do it without issues they'll be fine in the water. If you return and they're standing there still holding the BCD whilst staring at the tank or has the BCD on sideways/regs on first they'll likely be useless in the water. That and/or they trained in the Caribbean where they never have to do it themselves.

One of my instructors lost a decade's worth of simple, convenient paper logs in Sandy last year.

I don't understand. Isn't that what I was recommending? Storing the data on your hard drive?

Yeah, but my recommendation was a bit more than "hey, we should use this because it exists".

Amen, brother! :)

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2014 at 11:39 AM ----------

People who join an online forum, and who read and respond to posts are the ones who care, evidently. Because sometimes people read stuff here and change the way they do things, right?

I mean, if it's all just "do what you want, there is no right answer, do whatever works best for you" then why DO we have scubaboard...?

Dive count means jack sh1t! I have read better post by noobs than some seasoned 1000+ dive gods here on SB. So what's your point?

I think it all depends on the individual. I got cert in NJ (1997) and they were meticulous and methodical. My GF got certified when we were in St. Lucia (2011) at a resort (yes, an "expedited" course you can say). I do feel that they did cover all of the material but can see your point that "customer service" could make a diver lazy and possibly incompetent. But my GF can setup her own equip without assistance and controls her buoyancy like a pro. She had a learning curve with the typical issues all new divers have - but took it serious and we would verbally rehearse certain things before her dives to prepare her to do things right ! Now she is awesome - we are both AOW - and I don't have to baby her anymore ! She is an excellent dive buddy - very attentive and good communicator. But these things take both a little time and a lot of interest. Some people have years of experience doing things the wrong way. And some people soak it up like a sponge ! I think SB is reflective of the diverse skill set and opinions that you see on the dive boat ! That's why - even though SHE is my dive buddy - we still occasionally have to look after other divers on occasion.

Quick story from Last Month: We found one diver who got separated from his group - just wandering care free like he was in a pool and it was normal - never checked his gauges - not aware of his surroundings - never seen me approach him - tapped his shoulder and made him come over and join our group. Signaled the DM who was so shocked it was hysterical (yes you could tell under water). And this guy still didn't understand he had to say with our group. Out entire group caught on to keeping an eye in this guy. He was clueless ! And from what I was told ............ Yes,......... He has numerous dives under his belt ! I still worry about this guy - that's bad !

doctormike:
One of my instructors lost a decade's worth of simple, convenient paper logs in Sandy last year.

I don't understand. Isn't that what I was recommending? Storing the data on your hard drive?

Yeah, but my recommendation was a bit more than "hey, we should use this because it exists".

Amen, brother!
icosm14.gif

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2014 at 11:39 AM ----------

People who join an online forum, and who read and respond to posts are the ones who care, evidently. Because sometimes people read stuff here and change the way they do things, right?

I mean, if it's all just "do what you want, there is no right answer, do whatever works best for you" then why DO we have scubaboard...?

Dive count means jack sh1t! I have read better post by noobs than some seasoned 1000+ dive gods here on SB. So what's your point?

I agree with you!

I also have no idea what your comment has to do with my previous posts, which were basically that if you DO want to keep a dive log, a digital log has advantages, and that to say "who cares" and "do what you want" are pretty pointless responses to any discussion in an online forum.

If someone isn't interested in logging dives, they shouldn't do it. If they aren't interested in people's opinions in an online forum, they shouldn't participate. But getting angry because people have opinions and express them here, or implying that all options are the same and do whatever is best for you doesn't make a lot of sense to me in this context.

I think we are talking about diving rather than postings on SB aren't we, a good diver might be a bad poster but that doesn't detract from their diving ability? I disagree that dive count means nothing. If a person has done a real 1000 dives, and another 20, I would suspect the person having done 1000 obviously has more experience. That's not to say the 1000 dive person is a great diver, but simply by experience, they should be better than the one who has done 20 dives, however there are always exceptions to the rule. I think if you took 100 divers with >1000 dives, and 100 divers with say 50 dives, on balance, the >1000 dive group would be better divers. There may be exceptions but as a group they would be better.

Now if the argument you are trying to make is logging means Jack Sh@#, well that's up to you. I log because I like to see what I have done and sometimes need to look back for detail. It seems apparent to me you don't, and that's your choice. It doesn't mean you are better or worse diver than me, just I log and you don't. I would have my personal opinion on that but that's only my opinion and nothing more. Some people log for their reason and some don't. If you need a log to prove diving ability to a LDS and you don't have it, that's your problem on the day. Can logs be faked, yes they can. Do we want to make the system so draconian that we have to have the stamp of god on your dive log each time or the dive doesn't count? I would say probably not. What we have is what we have.

If some people want to be dive legends in their own mind, good luck to them. I have an opinion as to how good and bad I am as a diver, but would always say the real proof is in the eating of the pudding (doing real dives), not the writing of the recipe (logging). The writing part is administration work, get it wrong and who cares. The diving part is the real acid test, get it wrong and others read about you in the next days news.

I think we are talking about diving rather than postings on SB aren't we,

There are two different questions that have been addressed in this thread, causing some controversy when they are confused:

1) Why do some people select the option "I just don't log dives" when completing their ScubaBoard profile settings?

2) Do you log your dives?

Some people who choose that setting might log their dives, or not, or might just not want people to judge them by their dive count...

I'm lazy. That's why I don't log them.

When I look at my old log books I regret that I didn't log more of my dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom