I know I'm not the only diver in Iowa!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Blue in Mason City is OK, Bradgate is much better. I do most of my diving locally at Clear Water Beach and Banner Pits.

Hi:I'm Jeff. Not much around here. Palo 15 minutes (Pleasant Lake), Big Blue 2Hr(Free!) Pearl Lake 3Hr ($20) Wazee 3 1/2 Hr ($10). I dive Solo (murky water, can't see buddy) Wound not mind a fellow diver (share gas) to go along. I try to dive a lot. Every weekend since Ice on Palo Lake (April through June) Now Big Blue good(vis 12 to 15) Palo (vis 2 to 3, under 20feet 5 to 8) I dive Dry :D

Hey,

I have a brother-in-law in Cedar Rapids. I don't know how far away from him you are but the next time I am there to visit I will be looking to go diving. I was even thinking it might be worth going over to the Great Lakes and getting in on some wreck dives. I'll keep you in mind.

Just saying HI! I was born and raised in Spirit Lake (right next to Okoboji) but am overseas now. Never dived Okoboji but spent a lot of time in my childhood with mask and snorkel in Big Spirit - always amazed at the fish and neat things in the bottom.

Okoboji area isn't that far from Sioux City - maybe 2.5 or 3 hours? If you avoid the holiday weekends during summers it is busy but not insane and there is some relaxing stuff to do.

Congrats on getting certified - have a great time!!

My wife (non-diver) and I will be driving to Iowa (it's a nostalgia trip for her) on a road-trip vacation sometime in November. I'd love to be able to bring my gear and dive with someone local.

Speaking of gear...what do you usually dive with? I've got a 7mm which is what wet divers typically use here in SoCal. Will it keep me warm enough in lake/river/whatever waters?

If someone's interested in meeting up, PM me and we can put some details together.

Thanks,

Russell

Iowa in November: Highs in the 50s and lows in the 30s. I usually give up on midwest diving in Sept-Oct. Those who continue after that dive dry--and they have saws to cut through the ice! Let me know where you'll be, and I can point you in the direction of some dive sites.

Jafo123:
Hi everyone! I live just north of Sioux City, Iowa if anyone knows where that is. Just recently OW certified and have been doing most of my diving at Lake Francis Case in Pixtown, South Dakota. Always on the lookout for new places closer to get wet.

Jafo

I can see that, there are not to many replys from Iowa's. Last post from a week ago on this thread. I guess I just have to keep diving Solo. Just have to double check everything 2 times before I enter the water. Besides, with the Low vis (where is my buddy...Oh he is 5 feet away....Where?!?!?....) At least I don't have to worry about him, her. Just focus on myself for safty. ;-)

Jeff
dive Dry

I did a descent amount of diving in Big Blue (the blue pit) last year. It is nice for me because I only live half an hour away so it's a good excuse to go splash for a bit. Vis is generally 10-15 feet, 20+ on a really good day. Not too deep, 33' with your head in the mud so good for a beginner like me. Quite a bit of stuff to see, fish, railroad ties,rails and they sunk a small boat in there a few years back so that is kinda fun to see. They also put in an underwater platform to drop onto to keep from murking things up too bad. All in all it's a good time.

I plan on going to Okaboji next year, here's a site I stumbled on that has some things about it you might be interested in. Othrwise give me a shout sometime prob. next season when you want to come over and get wet. Always nice to have someone to go with.
Nick
http://sio.midco.net/lloydfsd/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom