I need a good gun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49:
No way Chad. I bought a set of irons and a driver like Tiger's and I'm shooting in the high 60s now. :D

Hey Hank, is that a good score? I don't know squat about golf! :D

I'm sure Tiger could destroy me on a golf course using the grounds keeper's tools. You probably could too.

But I'll give you and Tiger a good run with any spearguns, slings or poles you choose, with or without tanks! :D:D

Chad

Chad Carney:
Hey Hank, is that a good score? I don't know squat about golf! :D

I'm sure Tiger could destroy me on a golf course using the grounds keeper's tools. You probably could too.

But I'll give you and Tiger a good run with any spearguns, slings or poles you choose, with or without tanks! :D:D

Chad

Tiger = Indian, GP tools = arrow. I agree with your statement and also that you would smoke me spearfishing.
60s is a great score and I'd never shoot that .....even with Tiger's clubs (it IS the Indian)....oh well,....:D I did shoot a 74 once though......And since you appreciate the finer art of spear fishing, you would probably appreciate sticking a 5 iron within 8 feet of the pin from 200 yards. That's probably why Tiger likes spearing too. :D

Hank,

You lost me right before "I did shoot a 74 once..."

I've had one chance to dive Belize so far and the damn boat, a ship actually, blew it off because they said 2'-3' seas was too rough! Truth was they wanted to party in Cozumel that night.

If you ever get to Tampa Bay look me up, I'll take you spearfishing... and stay far from any golf course!

I think I'm probably lucky Tiger probably doesn't view SB, or I could be in trouble.

Peace~

Chad

I have an aimrite as well as a wong, I would have to agree with chad's advise I would say 54" gun no less than 50" and depending on if you want to spend the money and buy high end is up to you, my first gun was a 57" wong mgs and I am totally happy with that gun and it has a lifetime warranty too. beautiful craftsmanship and accurate as hell, my aimrite gun is also a really nice gun it is a 50" railgun and they are priced in the 320.00 range plus shipping. my wong ran me about 800.00 and is an enclosed track and has taken down fish 50+ lbs and as small as mango's and triggers. the gun has killed a ton of fish so price isn't a big deal once you factor in all of it's successful hits on a fish. my thinking when buying a gun was do I want to be successful on the bottom when I pull the trigger considering all the expense of going diving and your limited time on the bottom to get the job done. I have stoned fish at 25 feet with my wong, I can say a smaller gun could not do that.

Chad Carney:
If you ever get to Tampa Bay look me up, I'll take you spearfishing... and stay far from any golf course!

Peace~

Chad

I just might take you up on that Chad. I'd love to see some of those monster hogfish and gags you guys post on Spearboard.

Chad Carney:
But I'll give you and Tiger a good run with any spearguns, slings or poles you choose, with or without tanks!

And just like golf courses, if you "played" the spot many times and know where the "hole" is and what the structure is like, you then have a ton of local knowledge versus the people who also get dropped in the sand hoping to drift into the wreck site but miss it completely.

There is so much that goes into spearfishing, that I actually feel sorry for those new divers who jump off a boat with a brand new shiny gun, and proceed to chase fish all over the place, run out of air, then place all the blame on the gun (or golf club) saying that it is a piece of junk!

Johnoly:
And just like golf courses, if you "played" the spot many times and know where the "hole" is and what the structure is like, you then have a ton of local knowledge versus the people who also get dropped in the sand hoping to drift into the wreck site but miss it completely.

There is so much that goes into spearfishing, that I actually feel sorry for those new divers who jump off a boat with a brand new shiny gun, and proceed to chase fish all over the place, run out of air, then place all the blame on the gun (or golf club) saying that it is a piece of junk!

Johnoly
It appears to me if the new Spearos are dropped into the sand that shows fault on the Capt. Any decent boat drops a marker and most take pride in hitting the wreck with it. With that said I don’t think you will find to many shops that will turn a new Spearo loose like that I would hope they wouldn’t anyways

Granted Chad may have the knowledge of the structure first hand which would give him a edge sure enough, but as old Chad is trying to get his prize on the stringer a smart stalker will lay await to see just what shows at a distance watching old Chad there stringing his buddy with his back turned. Team shooting sometimes has it’s benefits. But this also needs to be talked about beforehand and not for a new Spearo till he learns control and shot placement. As far as shooting with Chad well I don’t know about that, that man knows no bottom don’t get me wrong he knows what he is doing and trained at what he dose it’s just that some of the depths he play at send a chill to my bones just thinking about it :xyxnervou

As far as the golf goes heck I’ve shot in the 60's a lot even in the high 50s then I got smart I waited on summer it was warmer :rofl3:

I have a rear handle, the gun alone is pretty manuverable but once you add extra shafts and a light to it, it becomes pretty bulky, If I am diving a wreck where I know I will be shooting mango's that are darting in and out of spots I chose to take my other gun, if I am diving ledges or culvert piles I take the MGS it can take down most fish easily at 20 foot but I have stoned fish on longer shots than that. I use 2 bands usually but you could jack it up even more with a 3rd band but I think that is not needed in most cases. the gun is pretty easy to load too. a rear plus is probably pretty tough to load I think but you do get more power out of one. I bought a quiver from chad carney and I took one of my bent shafts and bent the end for a tickle stick it is mounted right on the side of my gun so if I see bugs it is right there for me to use. I am now not carrying an extra shaft and am using the gun with a line unless I am diving middle grounds in which case I was using or carrying all 3 shafts on the gun. I have lost some prize fish freeshafting so I have went back to a line for the time being. I like the mgs it is very versitile and durable gun. the recoil isn't that bad because the gun is internally weighted to counter the recoil.

Ironhed:
I have a rear handle, the gun alone is pretty manuverable but once you add extra shafts and a light to it, it becomes pretty bulky, If I am diving a wreck where I know I will be shooting mango's that are darting in and out of spots I chose to take my other gun, if I am diving ledges or culvert piles I take the MGS it can take down most fish easily at 20 foot but I have stoned fish on longer shots than that. I use 2 bands usually but you could jack it up even more with a 3rd band but I think that is not needed in most cases. the gun is pretty easy to load too. a rear plus is probably pretty tough to load I think but you do get more power out of one. I bought a quiver from chad carney and I took one of my bent shafts and bent the end for a tickle stick it is mounted right on the side of my gun so if I see bugs it is right there for me to use. I am now not carrying an extra shaft and am using the gun with a line unless I am diving middle grounds in which case I was using or carrying all 3 shafts on the gun. I have lost some prize fish freeshafting so I have went back to a line for the time being. I like the mgs it is very versitile and durable gun. the recoil isn't that bad because the gun is internally weighted to counter the recoil.

Pay no attention to me over here drooling on my keyboard over your Wong gun. If it wasn’t for sleeping in the doghouse I would be tempted to get one. I seem to recall I think it was Bluedog over on spearboard said that Daryl was backed up at the time on orders. Sure shows how well liked his guns are, I’ve been looking at the hybrid real hard

Back
Top Bottom