I need a new knife, any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zoomerwit

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ive been looking for a new dive knife and have been flooded with options. I need help narrowing it down. I want a a leg mounted knife that isn't to bulky but is still functional. I also want one handed or one finger extraction. ( Ive ran into models that are one hand squeeze and the other pull... not a fan) I also am trying to figure out if a blunt tip or pointed tip is better.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Some say a point is not needed for a dive knife.Mine has one, no biggie.I personally dont want the drag or entanglement issues that leg knives have.I have a small scubamax sheath knife ziptied to my lower shoulder harness and a spare z-knife[linecutter] in my thigh pouch.To me a leg knife is just something to have to deal with suiting up .

I have the scuba.com titanium blunt on my leg. It is a great deal. Also it is very well made.

I've heard more problems than advantages to the leg-mounted approach, so I've discontinued it, personally. Instead, I have an Aqualung Mini Zac mounted on my low-pressure inflator hose, that works really well. And the Mini Zac is one the small knife I have found that has the best handle, so you can grip it securely.

For a few thoughts on the whole entanglement issue of leg-mounted knives, check out this thread.

If I were to carry only one knife it would be a medium-sized steel tool with a blunt end. It would have a line-cutter notch in the blade and a serrated back. It would have a sheath from which I could extract it with a minimum amount of trouble, yet it would be secured from accidental loss. I would carry it on my waist strap.

A blunt end is useful as a screw driver and as a pry-bar. If you hunt, you may prefer a knife with a point. I have never found another use for one.
A line-cutter notch is useful for quickly cutting wreck or cave line as well as monofilliment and can also be used to open bottles of your favorite beverage.
A serrated blade is often, but not always, better to cut larger diameter line. I like to have both a smooth, sharp edge and a serrated one.
The placement of a knife on the waist keeps it out of the way, yet in a position in which it is easy to access with either hand.

Ive been looking for a new dive knife and have been flooded with options. I need help narrowing it down. I want a a leg mounted knife that isn't to bulky but is still functional. I also want one handed or one finger extraction. ( Ive ran into models that are one hand squeeze and the other pull... not a fan) I also am trying to figure out if a blunt tip or pointed tip is better.

$4.18 for 12 at Sam's Club. Just break off the end to an appropriate length.

It's very sharp, stays that way and doesn't rust.

I can't find a picture right now, but there are a bunch of places that have the sheath for it.

0040639791819_LG.jpg

Terry

I love my Underwater Kinetics Blue Tang, it is has a low profile sheath and the knife comes completely apart for cleaning. It is light in weight and comes in several variations to include a blunt tip or shart point.

$4.18 for 12 at Sam's Club. Just break off the end to an appropriate length.

"Betty Crocker" knives are nearly ideal for cave divers who dive in warm water but are deficient in many respects for most other divers.

Divers who dive in cold water need a knife with a large enough handle that it can be manipulated with gloved hands. Especially when wearing dry gloves, it is important that the knife will not slip from your grip and cut yourself.

Divers who dive in open water, especially around wrecks, need a knife that is large enough to cut more than cave line which is little more than string.

Divers who dive in and around wrecks frequently need to use their knives as pry-bars.

The holsters that are made for "Betty Crocker" knives do not securely hold the knives in place and are difficult to reinsert the knife into after use, especially with gloves on. While I know that many divers advocate just throwing the knife away, if you need it once you may well need it a second time.

"Betty Crocker" knives are nearly ideal for cave divers who dive in warm water but are deficient in many respects for most other divers.

The Op only asked about a knife.

I do cold water wrecks dives and carry the Betty Crocker knife as well as a line cutter (small for wet-glove season, large for dryglove season) and a pair of shears.

Nobody is supposed to even touch the wrecks, so I'm not sure what you're prying.

Terry

Get the cheapest, most disposable knife that does what you need. I've found that they're easily lost, and so should be easily replaceable. Also, if you drop a $5 steak knife, you're much less likely to take an additional risk swimming down to try to retrieve it than if you dropped a new $80 titanium knife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom