I need an answer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saltzp

Reaction score
I know I am guy and this is for women only but I needed answers from women so here I am. My wife is 4'11" and 105lbs. She would like to learn to dive but after seeing us hauling all the equipment at our OW dives, she is concerned that she won't be able to move with all the equipment on, let alone carry it to the water or boat. Does anyone have any ideas how to overcome this problem?

I am not petite or thin by any means however, I would get one of those plastic bins with wheels. most dive sites would work for them (often there is limited amonts of sand so you canbring gear down to the water and unload much of it there)
as for walking with all that equiptment on, my husband and I always put our gear on in the water. we put on wetsuits on shore, then bring down gear,one of us stays with our gear (some of smaller gear fits in our dive flag) while the other one brings rest of the gear down and can bring a bin back. then, we put our gear on in the water. MUCH EASIER THAN GEARING UP ON SHORE!!!!

My wife dives. She has had back problems in the past. her doctor has suggested a 10 lb weight limit for lifting things. She is 5'2" and 120
I carry my gear and hers, sometimes it takes two trips. She gears up in the water, even on boat dives in rough seas (against the divemasters wishes)

The toughest one for me so far was a cavern dive. We had to walk from the parking lot, up a dirt trail to the cavern and down a spiral staircase and wooden platforms to the water. It was sunny and 85f that day. I geared up, and carried her scuba unit. she carried fins, masks and the camera. It took a little while to catch my breath before making that dive!:)

When we've been at the Pool, It seems there are usually men around that like to be helpful. Chivalry is not dead! (careful guys, some women want to do it themselves)

If she wants to dive she should go for it :thumb:

There are lots of different ways to deal with the weight issue. You might point out to your wife that children as young as 10 or 12 can be certified to dive -- and many of them are small (please we don't need to discuss whether this is good or bad... it just is)....

I would encourage your wife to give it a try, and feel free to ask for help if she needs it. As others have said, donning gear in the water eliminates most of the weight issue. She may be able to find buddies who are willing to swap their physical labor (caring her gear) for other tasks -- such as rinsing and cleaning gear (or since you're a couple perhaps you can work something else out -- <wink>)

Remember that SOME of the weight of the gear may be porportionate to the size of the diver -- for instance, she will probably need a smaller amount of lead, she may prefer to use a 63 or a 50 tank which will be easier to manager.

Also, a lot of the weight management can be facilitated with leverage -- lifting and carrying in the safest possible ways.

If she really likes diving, she may decide that she wants to head for the gym to try some strength training workouts.

I think the important thing is to think of this as a problem or challenge that can be solved or managed.... it doesn't need to be a 'deal breaker'.

Good luck!

One of my favorite buddies is literally less than half my size in total mass. I am 5'8 & thick-buillt, while she is barely 5' & very slight. We both carry our own gear. We both have good safety standards, & great stamina.

Her tank is quite small, but I have seen her use an AL 80 with no problem. Her gear is definitely scaled down, & she packs efficiently so things are in compact & easily movable units. Her weight belt is very light. She can get cold easily, so she makes sure to wear a thick enough wetsuit. I never push her for second or 3rd dives if she is obviously cold.

I think you can help her most by getting her a bag that is lightweight, separate from yours. No woman wants to feel dependent unless she must in this sport. I used to have 1 bag that I shared with my husband & it was way too heavy for me to move alone (& I am pretty strong!) Now we have our own packages & I pull my own weight (on wheels, of course!) Oh - and those Trident tank carrying straps will make life easier, too!

I buddied with her in Bonaire - she's an excellent diver. She did use an AL 63 on our dives.

I'm 5'4 and 130 lbs. When I first started diving, I found the gear to be such a pain that I wouldn't even consider shore dives. However, its like anything, you build up stamina after a while. Unlike many people on this board, I find the gear much easier to deal with when it is on and I'm not carrying it.

Your wife will probably want to use 63 tanks, or even 50's. There is not much of a reason for someone that size to use anything larger, except maybe on deep dives.

There is a dive site on Okinawa that is at the bottom of about 100 or so stairs, and then you climb down rocks to finally hit the water. I walk down (and back up) in full gear including 12-22lbs of weight (depending on time of year and wetsuit) and a camera with dual strobes.

So, it may take some time and practice, but I think she will find she will be able to handle the gear with little difficulty.

Thanks for all the good info. I will show it to my wife. She hates that I have started a hobby without her especially since she has seen how much fun I am having. She loves snorkelling in the Caribbean so this will be the next step.

There are all sorts of advantages and disadvantages that comes with physical attributes. Generally speaking, women and smaller individuals may find carrying weights a greater burden and at the same time, they tend to have better air consumption. I'm 112lb 5'2 and at times, shore dives have felt like military assault courses. However, there are always ways to lessen the burden:

Travel/transport of equipment - get a very good wheeled case

Cooperation - if there's a pair of divers or a group of divers, you should help one another. It isn't a big deal helping someone kit up and most divers don't need to be asked. It's not just size but age and physical impairments can make things a bit tough. I've often helped elderly people with their equipment.

Gear donning - Use the bench on a boat, tree stumps, picnic tables, whatever is available. If the water is placid, kit up in the water (but be careful, I did sink my equipment once because I didn't inflate the BCD adequately).

Good news, you do learn techniques and develop strength. Even within a short period, you learn your strengths and weaknesses. I have a female friend (130lb) who is now diving with twin tanks. A year ago, she wouldn't even have considered it.

All the best

Kudos to you for trying to get your wife involved. It is not as hard as it might seem to deal with the gear. I am 5'3" 125lbs. I dive double 104's and I move ALL my gear by myself, always. I highly recommend investing in a personal trainer for at least a month or 2, don't go for the namby pamby sculpting crap, jack steel around. It is very empowering NOT to have to ask for help.Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom