I need better top side audio quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill Fisher:
Even when I get the location tracks for the highest budget TV spots, the location audio is almost always "not so good".
And there it is.

Which is why many European films (where they do a lot less looping) have such lower audio quality. Just try to cut together a bunch of takes with ever-changing nat sound. Which is why, even with the videos I produce with budgets that are infinitesimal compared to Mr. Fishers, we loop as much as we can and add stock foleys, or send it to a professional audio tech. Pro Tools won't make a bad audio good.

That said, your problem of, "camera handing noise, wind noise, boat engines and people talking behind the camera" can be helped by getting a prosumer level mic like some that were suggested, and absolutely use a shock-mount and a windsock. Get the mic as close to the subject as possible. Record some nat sounds, without specific sounds like people talking or engine noise, and lay a continuous track over the final cut to create some audio continuity.

And then think, Blair Witch Project... Blair Witch Project...:wink:

Rick Inmans suggestion of getting natural ambient backround noise without voices is a GREAT suggestion. If you have any type of audio mixing capabilities on your computer this will help immensely when editing your video. I use this technique all the time in post-production. Follow the other suggestions posted here, they're all helpful...and you'll be on your way to better top-side audio.
Bill

Like Dr Bill was saying "a wireless mic" - I think he's probably referring to a LAVALIER mic. Which for those who don't know what a LAVA is : it's the little mic you see anchor people or tv talk show guests wearing on their lapel. They are NOT by any means used for live concerts, since they feedback so easily, they are good for people talking, and make good topside audio mics, if you're taping a person.

Like Rick Inman was saying... Get the mic as close to the subject as possible. A windscreen will also help to get rid of wind.

Bill Fisher speaks about post-production with your audio... Adobe makes a program called "adobe audition" it used to be called Cool Edit, before acquired by adobe. It's reasonably priced professional audio editing (like pro-tools, only easier).

While I do not do audio for TV professionally, I did do Live Concert sound for 15 years.

This is my 2¢

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom