I need better top side audio quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for improved "top side" audio. I use a mid range Sony mini-DV camera and like all of them the built-in mic is poor, very poor. It records everything including the sound of camera controls,
camera handing noise, wind noise, boat engines and people talking behind the camera.

If I ask this question on a film-making forum I get all kinds of suggestions about pro-level audio mics and mic booms and field mixers and how I can spend $3,500 and how need someone else to hold a mc on a boom. What I _want_ is professional quality sound on a $50 camera mounted mic. OK I can't get what I want. I'll accept "decent sound".
I want to use this for hand held setup on boats, beaches and parking lots.

Any suggestions?

There are no "professional" quality sound on-camera mics for $50. Forget it. Now, if you actually want a decent on-camera mic, have a look at the Sennheiser K series. This is what I use on my camera. I also have a shockmount for mine. You are looking for a shotgun mike with a cardiod pattern. AKG makes some I think, as do Audio Technica. I prefer the Sennheisers. There are also some high end ones, but you appear unwilling to spend money for high-end gear. So stick with these names.

ChrisA:
I'm looking for improved "top side" audio. I use a mid range Sony mini-DV camera and like all of them the built-in mic is poor, very poor. It records everything including the sound of camera controls,
camera handing noise, wind noise, boat engines and people talking behind the camera.

If I ask this question on a film-making forum I get all kinds of suggestions about pro-level audio mics and mic booms and field mixers and how I can spend $3,500 and how need someone else to hold a mc on a boom. What I _want_ is professional quality sound on a $50 camera mounted mic. OK I can't get what I want. I'll accept "decent sound".
I want to use this for hand held setup on boats, beaches and parking lots.

Any suggestions?
Professional quality is indeed out of reach for $50.

You _can_ get a considerably better microphone and mount it on a flash bracket (a camera store can hook you up). The more directional the microphone is, the better.

If motor noise is still an issue, get creative on isolating the vibrations from the microphone.

Audio-Technica makes a $49 "Handheld Unidirectional Dynamic Vocal Microphone". I have never used it, but I have in the past used their lavs. (mics worn on the lapel.) Another brand that at one point, before I changed jobs, was Samson Audio. Again, I never used them BUT my mic dealer swore by them and if I had stayed with my job I would have been buying them.

One suggestion is to look in the phone book for a sound reinforcement company or a company that rents sound gear and see if they have any former rental mics that are for sale.

My previous job was engineer for a cable production department that did production for two different cable systems plus a regional sports network. I spec'ed gear, wrote PO's and then fixed it. Yes, I had a mic dealer.

I would think you want more somethin like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=ROVM&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=363083

I would advise against a handheld mic. While these are preferred for concerts, speakers, etc. I wouldn't recommend a handheld for video. The mic I am suggesting is a shotgun mic. It is highly directional (focused) where you point them.

I did concert sound (large sound systems) for over 15 years. I know microphones... I would also say that Audio Technica does make decent entry level mics... and like PerroneFord said AKG and Sennheiser are very reputable microphone companies... However, their mics generally are more expensive than AT. I will also say that I have never heard of Rode (the company who makes the mic that I reference)... It was just the first one I found.

You want to look for a "shotgun" mic, with an 1/8" jack (I am assuming this is what you have on your camera. Many of these mics will be able to attach to the accessory "shoe" on the top of your camera.

I am a professional audio post-production engineer.
I do audio for TV and radio.

Even when I get the location tracks for the highest budget TV spots, the location audio is almost always "not so good".

That's why they bring it to the studio where I can apply quite a bit of noise reduction and equalization. And sometimes it's still "not so good".

The best advice I can give is to be aware of your surroundings and the backround noise. Try to be somewhere with as little noise as possible (yeah right...)
As you know, wind is always a problem...and idling boat engines too.

Even if you got a great mic, there are still many problems you may encounter.

Just keep experimenting.
Bill

Howard, that thing looks nice. Here's another AT mic to consider.

I just wonder why some of these inexpensive mics weren't around when I was buying them... Yes, more home video cameras but man, 10 years back I couldn't find any shotgun mic for less then $400.

Depending on your distance to the subject you may need a wireless mic.

drbill:
Depending on your distance to the subject you may need a wireless mic.

drbill, remember that a wireless system is just a way to eliminate the cable. One must still decide what microphone to use. Please also remember that wireless systems are not perfect, I have seen a few get "stepped on", interfered with, by golf carts driving by. You must also coordinate frequencies so you do not interfere with another user.

I hand-hold an Audio Technica ATR55 Telemike for recording boat briefings etc. where I want to pick up the divemaster's voice. I've done interviews with it too. It's OK. If I was buying in a similar low-end category now I would probably buy the Rode Video Mic that was mentioned above. It's very well respected at the price. These mics just have 1/4" jack. They're not balanced.

When I upgrade to a Sony Z1 I'll probably buy an Audio Technica 897 to go with it. A lot of "pros" use this mic and it's significantly cheaper than Sennheiser equivalents.

I may well add a Audio Technica AT899 lav mic to my kit too.

Nick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom