i need to float

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve1962

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm an AA male and I need to past my float test, the best I've been able to do is 3 mins. If I stop moving I sink like a rock. Are there any tricks that I can use to help out. Why is the 10 min float a necessary skill??

I don't understand what AA male means? But I found and enjoy just doing floats is either just laying back and just chilling. Or my fav is doing a cross county ski move. Opposite hand opposite foot and just doing that, just like you are sking. Like you, if I just stop moving, I am at the bottom. The ski move takes almost no energy to keep it up.

Sorry, forgot to add that when doing the ski move, I body position is like I am sitting in a chair. Bottom down toward the bottom of the pool.

Last edited:
Fill your lungs, and lay on your back, then breath slowly without emptying your lungs completely. You can still slowly move your arms & legs if needed.

Hey man, I would practice relaxing on the surface, floating on my back, inhaling and holding that breath, exhale and repeat the process for time. Move your arms and gently kick making a circle or square. As your comfort level grows, again repeat the surface work. Relaxing is the key, have a timing device on your wrist to view. Practice and repeat these steps till your comfort level increases. Oh yes, do not eat large meals before you practice. There are other float secrets, try this one first.

Another technique is called drownproofing. Rather than try to explain it I suggest you google it.

Why is the skill necessary? What happens if you fall off a boat?

If you are like me, drown proofing is the ONLY way-- in FRESH water (there may be some who can't float even in SW I guess). Simple-take a breath (big if you like) and let your body do what it wants. Your head/face will go under but the air in your lungs will make you float effortlessly, with the upper part of your back at the surface (assume it's the same for everyone?). When you need to, just kick a bit and raise your head for another breath. For the DM test you have to float 15 mins., the last 2 minutes with your hands out of the water. The chances of me doing that...........I practised and practised--every sort of arm/leg movement with no success until hearing about drown proofing on SCUBABOARD. Then it was a piece of cake, though you tend to spin a bit in the water. Perfectly legal (at least with PADI) for the test. Some think drown proofing means you touch the bottom at some point, which is "illegal"--not true. Instructors should make a point of mentioning drown proofing. I ramble on, but get frustrated when people think there is another way for us guys to float when there is not. And it's more practical than treading water no matter what your treading method, because for all practical purposes you can do it forever without any effort to speak of--and that's the point in case you do fall off a boat, no? Of course if you do fall off a boat, what's the boat doing while you float for 10 minutes?--unless you (and buddy?) dived with the boat unattended--but that's another thread.

The treading water test can be done successfully doing the egg-beater tread (legs only). It requires decent technique and a fair amount of physical conditioning, though.
Some OW students do a scissor-kick with arm motion to tread water. That should be good enough to help you fulfill the certification requirement.
The conditioning aspect can be achieved with hard work and practice.
Drown-proofing should be even easier (with face in the water). TMHeimer described it well.

One thing you should keep in mind is that your lungs are a buoyancy control device. Use them.
What happens when you inhale maximally and hold your breath? You should float.
You should be able to roll onto your back, inhale deeply, and remain at the surface.
On a side note, it would be useful to figure out how much residual volume in your lungs is required to keep you at the surface. Moreover, you should know that one can breathe differently in order to remain more positively buoyant (shallow breathing at the top of the lungs?). FYI, it wouldn't be advisable to do this for sustained periods because it would lead to CO2 retention...but it will work in the short-term.
Something to think about at least...

I should mention that I obviously didn't know about drown proofing when I took OW. But I did manage to do the 10 minutes just treading (we weren't ALLOWED to just float, which I THOUGHT I could do because I could float on my back in SW). I made the 10 minutes by doing the egg beater (I think) and kicking like Hell--I even made the 1st 13 mins. of the DM one that way--until the hands had to come out! Don't want to try that again now--gettin' older..... I am not at all critical of the several good suggestions you've received--in fact one may work for you. There are some that think drown proofing is "cheating", or cutting corners to get certified. No one on this thread has said that, and it's not true.

aa male is african american male. If I stop moving I sink, even when lying on my back. I can float pretty good in the ocean, but not too good in a pool. The instructer said I exert alot of energy just to last those 2 mins. I thought about what if I fall off the boat and have to stay in the water for 10 or more minutes, I've got some real problems to worry about. I'll practice the drownproofing. I was under the impression that you had to keep your head above water the whole time. I'm also was going to work out on the ski machine, but had a little accident and broke my ankle, and just got able to get back in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom