I Need Your Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

My name is Ocean Cohen (yes really) and I am currently conducting researching at the University of Central Florida on the Pink Barnacle, also known as the Titan Acorn Barnacle. Unfortunately, I do no know where these barnacles are located as they are invasive to the southeastern United States including Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas. They are native to the coast of California all the way down through Ecuador. I was wondering if any of you divers have seen these or if you could keep an eye out for them as you explore your dive sites. Any help and information would be much appreciated, I can use all the help I can get. If you happen to stumble across these or have any information about where I can find these then please contact me at my email OC31089 at aol.com. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached three pictures and more information about the barnacles can be found below.

Thank you in advance for all your help,

Ocean Cohen
University of Central Florida

The Titan Acorn Barnacle (aka The Pink Barnacle)
• Not harmful to people
• Often grow very large (2 inches in height and width)
• Often found in large numbers
• Most likely found on jetties or newly formed structures
• Defined pink structure
• Is made up of 6 “plates” that come to a point at the top
• Enjoy high salinity (up to 40ppt)

Attachments

• PB1.jpg
    PB1.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 33
  • PB3.jpg
    PB3.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 40