I own an Oceanic FDX 10 First & EOS Second: What should I have for spare parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaHowie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I purchased a used FDX 10 First Stage and EOS Second Stage from a friend a couple years ago. He sold it to me after only using it for his certification and then deciding diving wasn't for him. I've been on 3 dive trips with this setup and at first, since it was new, I didn't really worry about needing spare parts on hand. But now that it's a little older and I am a couple years wiser, I would like to look into getting some "must have" spare parts to keep in my dive bag so I don't have to scrap a dive because my regulator isn't working.

I have been looking online and searched the boards a little and I can't find any recommendations on what to keep on hand. I figure O-rings and probably a spare battery for my computer, but can a seasoned diving veteran tell me what they keep in their dive bag for their regulator, computer, camera, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Divegearexpress has a GREAT link here about what O ring sizes/types you should have in your save-a-dive inventory:
Oxygen Compatible O-Rings, Lubricant and Tools - Dive Gear Express

I have a VERY comprehensive save-a-dive kit, way too long to spell out everything here, but aside from O-rings in all sizes, you will need picks/adjustable wrenches/screwdrivers/allen wrenches. Spare batteries for lights/computers (and any specialized tools to remove batteries).

Cristolube.....I bring an entire spare BCD inflator assembly, and a spare bottom wing pull-dump valve. Spare HP and LP hoses. Also bring 2 complete reg sets, so if a reg fails I switch to the back up reg, OR I can cannibalize the back up reg for any needed parts.

Spare mouthpieces/Zip Ties/Zip tie 'tightener tool'

If you're looking for a REALLY high-quality adjustable wrench:
Home | Seaspanner (I own 2 of these and they are well worth the $, as it's a real challenge to find tools immune to salt water corrosion)

When the 4 of us travel, I carry 1 complete reg set and 1 computer as spare. Never have to use them so far, but I do test our gears carefully before we leave. Month pieces and fin straps are the only field replacements I had ever done, maybe once or twice.

Most of the time, equipment failure is not catastrophic. One time, the CO2 nipple of my SP Stabilizing Jacket broke and left a hole the size of a quarter, BUT the BC still held air in the swimming and upright position, so I didn't even really noticed it until we came back.
:D

but can a seasoned diving veteran tell me what they keep in their dive bag for their Eos/FDX10 reg set?

How about an answer to a question that relates to this forum and the reg set in question!

I have not been paying close attention to Oceanic, because they pissed me off with the release of the EOS/FDX10.

I got the previous top of the line Oceanic reg set; Delta 4/CDX5. I bought it for and particularly like the swivel at the second stage. I also then bought the EOS/FDX10, and while I like both sets, I am no longer an Oceanic reg fan.

When they released the EOS, with the swivel, because they only had a license for one reg to use the swivel they had to discontinue support for the Delta 4 swivel. Even though they likely had thousands of replacement hoses in inventory, we can no longer purchase a swivel replacement hose for the Delta 4.

To satisfy the license agreement they changed the threads on the EOS body, so an EOS second stage must have the EOS replacement hose. In contrast, the Delta 4 had the same body threads as the rest of the Oceanic line, so a stock second stage hose, without swivel, will work, after buying the appropriate Oceanic body fitting. Going forward; I see no reason not to expect the body threads to again change and replacement EOS swivel hoses may not be available, so I would say that is a good part to have, although mine would (will) be in my parts bin at home. But I will find those swivel hoses "used" and not give Oceanic any money for these planned obsolescences.

:shakehead:

I purchased a used FDX 10 First Stage and EOS Second Stage from a friend a couple years ago. He sold it to me after only using it for his certification and then deciding diving wasn't for him. I've been on 3 dive trips with this setup and at first, since it was new, I didn't really worry about needing spare parts on hand. But now that it's a little older and I am a couple years wiser, I would like to look into getting some "must have" spare parts to keep in my dive bag so I don't have to scrap a dive because my regulator isn't working.

I have been looking online and searched the boards a little and I can't find any recommendations on what to keep on hand. I figure O-rings and probably a spare battery for my computer, but can a seasoned diving veteran tell me what they keep in their dive bag for their regulator, computer, camera, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

How mechanically-inclined are you? For the type of diving you do, how much "time" do you have to fix a problem that may occur as you are setting up your gear?

The reason I ask: I do recommend carrying a basic save-a-dive kit, with common o-rings, mask strap, lube, a few basic tools, etc., to the dive site.

Now, having spare o-rings, batteries and enough parts and tools stock a dive shop repair bench is great (and I have gone to dive sites with my full tool box and rebuild kits :wink: ).... But what is the likelyhood that you'll be able to repair your equipment without missing the dive completely or seriously frustrating your dive partners as you fiddle with your equipment while they overheat in their wetsuits?

I've never had a serious pre-dive equipment issue.... But as insurance I now carry a complete backup regulator set in my bag for dives I don't want to miss (in addition to my basic tools and spares). If have regulator problem, you can quickly "deploy" your backup set, do the dive, and deal with the "problem" regulator later on when there is no rush.

Best wishes.

An IP gauge and the willingness to learn what it tells you.

How mechanically-inclined are you? For the type of diving you do, how much "time" do you have to fix a problem that may occur as you are setting up your gear?

The reason I ask: I do recommend carrying a basic save-a-dive kit, with common o-rings, mask strap, lube, a few basic tools, etc., to the dive site.

Now, having spare o-rings, batteries and enough parts and tools stock a dive shop repair bench is great (and I have gone to dive sites with my full tool box and rebuild kits :wink: ).... But what is the likelyhood that you'll be able to repair your equipment without missing the dive completely or seriously frustrating your dive partners as you fiddle with your equipment while they overheat in their wetsuits?

I've never had a serious pre-dive equipment issue.... But as insurance I now carry a complete backup regulator set in my bag for dives I don't want to miss (in addition to my basic tools and spares). If have regulator problem, you can quickly "deploy" your backup set, do the dive, and deal with the "problem" regulator later on when there is no rush.

Best wishes.

I would say overall I am well above average when it comes to being mechanically inclined. I have taken apart nail guns and rebuilt them, and in the business that I own, we use several different kinds of machines that I do most of the maintanance on. With things like regulators, I am pretty good about figuring out how to do things fairly quickly, especially if I have done it once or twice before.

When I go diving it is on a trip with the purpose of diving as much as possible. So, unless it's the very last day, it won't be the end of the world if I have to skip one dive. My purpose in wanting to have a save-a-dive-kit isn't necessarily to save one dive, but more to save an entire dive trip. I have heard experiences of people that have gone to remote areas to dive and had they not had all the spare parts they needed, they would have been screwed. However, I am pretty sure that if I had a problem with a reg, I would know fairly soon after getting on the boat. I always get my equipment setup as soon as possible and make sure everything is working properly. I haven't been on a dive trip yet that there hasn't been at least a 30 minute ride to the dive sites. I would think that would be ample time to replace an o-ring or to replace a battery in my computer.

Also, one of the guys I always go diving with usually brings his wife's regulator as a spare (unless she is with us, of course), so worst case scenario, I would use hers and then fix mine during the interval or at night when we are back at the hotel or where ever we might be staying. Plus we usually take very good care of the dive master, so I am sure we could get them to help us if need be.

Besides, I don't know what kind of people you dive with, but the people I dive with wouldn't be frustrated if I was having a problem with my regulator. We would all work together to fix the problem.
:yeahbaby:

I always bring a basic save-a-dive kit to the dive site. The only exception to this is when I go diving in Bonaire. When I'm there, any reg/BCD/other gear issues get fixed back at the condo and no tools/spares are left in the truck while diving. I do keep a few -014 yoke tank valve o-rings and a wooden toothpick in the truck, though.

If I want to make sure that I don't miss a dive because of a reg issue...I'll bring a backup reg set. There's something to be said for full redundancy.
FWIW, I don't want to be taking apart a reg on a rocking boat, so I'm not going to bring reg tools and rebuild kits in that kind of a situation. The only time I'd consider bringing all that stuff on-board a boat is on a multi-day liveaboard trip.

I always bring a basic save-a-dive kit to the dive site. The only exception to this is when I go diving in Bonaire. When I'm there, any reg/BCD/other gear issues get fixed back at the condo and no tools/spares are left in the truck while diving. I do keep a few -014 yoke tank valve o-rings and a wooden toothpick in the truck, though.

If I want to make sure that I don't miss a dive because of a reg issue...I'll bring a backup reg set. There's something to be said for full redundancy.
FWIW, I don't want to be taking apart a reg on a rocking boat, so I'm not going to bring reg tools and rebuild kits in that kind of a situation. The only time I'd consider bringing all that stuff on-board a boat is on a multi-day liveaboard trip.

Everything is a balance, along with certain basic tools and generic supplies (O-rings) I bring 2 complete reg sets, but I will never bother bringing hard-core reg repair tools or rebuilt kits, that's going overboard...too much of a good thing. Remember, it's a matter of probablities (of failure) and weight/bulk. There's only so much stuff one can carry on an airplane, so I prioritize what I bring. So far, my save-a-dive kit and 2 complete reg sets have covered every contingency I've faced so far. In the real world, in the middle of a trip to a remote place, the most practical thing is to use one reg set as a parts bin for the other reg set (or, of course, just use the alternate set in the first place). If, for example, a 2nd-stage starts acting up, I won't attempt to tear into it for repairs, I'll either switch to the alternate reg set or swap complete 2nd-stages from one reg and move it to the other reg.

Back
Top Bottom