I still got cold... any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Converting an electric vest for motorcyclists into a scuba vest

This thread is more than 3 years old and I hope to bring it back to life!:) I haven't read all the posts but from what I have read nobody seems to have mentioned an electric vest. Am I right? I wear a shell trilam Bare suit, polypropylene or woolly underwear under my Bare undergarment, two pairs of woolly socks and the Weezle booties. I was OK until the temperature of the water has begun to drop into the high 40° F. I tried to put more air in the suit but it did not help me to stay warmer. Using argon is not an option because I don't know where to get it locally. My feet are now getting cold despite the Weezle booties. I cannot add more layers because there is no more room in the shell so I am thinking of using an electric vest. My buddy has one that he wore when he used to ride his motorcycle. I am wondering if anybody has an idea on how to convert it into a scuba electric vest.

ElectricVest_0112.jpgElectricVestD_0113.jpg

@ Soakedlontra if your looking for argon check with your local welding supply shop thats where I get my fills for my Al welder....and on the heated jacket....yes it will work. Im 130lb 5'4" with NO "natural" body heat. I made my own heated thermal wear....I picked up the "under armor" style base layer from Walmart and threaded about 40' of teflon wire through it mostly around the shoulders and the back of my legs and wired it to a connector that fits on my dive light batteries over top of the thermal wear I wear a 200g USIA drysuit liner that has a inside pocket to hold the battery. that and a nice thick pair of hiking socks and I actually stay really toasty for about an hour and a half till the battery is depleted but my winter bottom time is never over 50 min so it works out perfect....I did this last winter and had no problems diving the cooper @ 48 last winter and I HATE the cold....

here is the write up I followed....
DIY heated clothing

if someone is making a top and a bottom you need to connect the two with an connector...I used the same on I use to make my dive lights found at O'reillys, sold as a trailor extention plug made by hopkins pt# 47965 here
Hopkins Manufacturing 47965 - Trailer Light Extension | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Well things are not as simple as they seem. My buddy's electric vest is actually too big for me so we will have to saw the electric cable into the undergarment. We have just discovered that a Polish brand of dry suits makes electric undergarments...If only I had the money I would buy it straightaway! Now a major problem is to find a switch that is not bulky I hardly have any room left between the shell and the undergarment...

Back
Top Bottom