I think something is wrong with my Proton???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speardoggin

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Proton mr32t that may have 5 dives on it in 1 year. It was recently serviced by Diver's Direct and they said everything was in spec. I breathe on the reg and it feels like I am have to suck the air out of it. This is the only Mares reg I have ever owned and do not know if this is normal. i breathed out of my buddy's brand new old style Abyss and it is awesome compared to mine. I don't know what is wrong.

My proton octo actually breathes better than the Proton metal second stage.

Almost every major regulator problem that I've ever had showed up right after service. Send it back.

Did it always breath like that? When you purge your reg by pushing the purge button firmly, do you get as much flow as your buddy's reg gets? You could have something impeding the air flow so cracking pressure and even flow with low demand may look OK on the bench. But you may not be getting the volume of gas that you need. This is not the kind of problem you can just throw another service kit at. You are probably going to have to find a good tech and talk to him about it. I don't know anything about DD but you might as well start out by talking to them since they just serviced it.

I'm sure that Zack will pick this thread up and have a solution.

Zak has far greater technical knowledge than I do (which is why I never try to answer tech questions).

If you want we can contact DD for you, or we can have you send it to our service center to check it out. There is no reason it should breathe the way you describe.

Let me know,

Phil

I agree with Phil, uh that is I have far greater technical knowledge. Uhhum :) Kidding aside, your regulator should provide unrestricted effortless flow. Clearly something is not set correctly. I suggest you follow Phils advice and either take it back to DD service center, or utilize ours. Did you purchase this regulator from DD? The store you purchased it from should attempt to help you get this sorted out. Does the store feel it is breathing correctly? If it is as new as you describe, you are well within the warranty period and we'll make sure you happy with your purchase.

Keep us posted.

P.S. I'm travelling this week and response will not be as prompt as usual.

I agree with Phil, uh that is I have far greater technical knowledge. Uhhum :) Kidding aside, your regulator should provide unrestricted effortless flow. Clearly something is not set correctly. I suggest you follow Phils advice and either take it back to DD service center, or utilize ours. Did you purchase this regulator from DD? The store you purchased it from should attempt to help you get this sorted out. Does the store feel it is breathing correctly? If it is as new as you describe, you are well within the warranty period and we'll make sure you happy with your purchase.

Keep us posted.

P.S. I'm travelling this week and response will not be as prompt as usual.

Thank you guys for all the responses. After breathing out of my buddy's Abyss it seemed so much easier. I have read that my reg should breathe about as effortless as the Abyss, so I know something can't be right.

I realized the people at Diver's Direct are morons who don't care. They think it is breathing correctly because they don't want to deal with it. I don't trust them anymore and will not send anything to them as of now. What do I need to do to send it to you?? Is it covered under warranty to send it to you???

Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff,

Send me a PM with your contact info (Phone, e-mail). Our Customer service department will give you a call and issue an RA number and give you shipping information. This must be put on the outside of the box as well as inside with the Reg.

All you need to do is ship it to us. We will inspect, adjust at N/C and ship back at our cost. Please make sure to send via a trackable service (UPS, Fed Ex Ground) do not use the Post Office. If it is lost and we have no way to track, we will not be able to verify that we received it.

Best regards

Phil

Jeff,

Send me a PM with your contact info (Phone, e-mail). Our Customer service department will give you a call and issue an RA number and give you shipping information. This must be put on the outside of the box as well as inside with the Reg.

All you need to do is ship it to us. We will inspect, adjust at N/C and ship back at our cost. Please make sure to send via a trackable service (UPS, Fed Ex Ground) do not use the Post Office. If it is lost and we have no way to track, we will not be able to verify that we received it.

Best regards

Phil

I shipped it this past thursday!

Back
Top Bottom