I wanna do it all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You still need OC skills before running off with a RB.

When it breaks, you're back to switching gases and juggling stage/deco tanks.

I like how you said "when" it breaks and not "if" it breaks.....very key piece of info right there.

Like PfcAJ said, you need the OC skills to be solid for WHEN you bail out to OC

I have 2 "Y" Valves for sale.
While I agree that certain instructors are a better bet for quality training, I disagree with only looking for one that has been diving/teaching cave diving forever....

Remember that there was no such thing as a cave cert when these guys started teaching cave...they made it up as they went along...just like every other niche in diving.
Look at wreck diving: 20 years ago you would be called suicidal to run a line inside a wreck.

If you know where to get good y valves(the ones with actual knobs), please post a current link. I haven't seen one on the market in ages.

---------- Post added December 17th, 2014 at 05:47 PM ----------

DiveRite?
I know where there is a barely used Full Electronic CCR for $2500 right now. Add in full retail price on training and you could be diving CCR for 4k. Oh, and eCCR rebreathers come with a computer.

My buddy bought his rebreather for less than 4k. My last two rebreathers were less than 4k. You just gotta know where the deals are.

Last guy in our dive group who converted to CCR snagged a gorgeous rEvo II hybrid with cooper hoses and some other goodies for $3k even. I paid $4500 for mine and thought I got a good deal. If you really want to spend $10-$15k on an eCCR, you certainly can...but it's by no means 'necessary'. If you want a mCCR, you're talking significantly less.

You still need OC skills before running off with a RB.

When it breaks, you're back to switching gases and juggling stage/deco tanks.

agreed, this wasn't really about training, but rather gear. But I agree

So the conclusion is that OP should buy a breather? :D

I think everyone should buy a rebreather. LOL
The conclusion is...
The OP should get into a good group of mentors who can help with training and gear and remember that slow and steady wins the race.

The OC stuff you need to start diving a rebreather consists of what? An AL40 and a reg for his current level of diving? I'll sell you an AL40 and Reg for $200. Next question.

He's diving now, so I'm assuming he's got Mask, Fins, Etc.

The OC stuff you need to start diving a rebreather consists of what? An AL40 and a reg for his current level of diving? I'll sell you an AL40 and Reg for $200. Next question.

He's diving now, so I'm assuming he's got Mask, Fins, Etc.

OP is talking about doing 200ft dives and caves.

Would you want to sign up to do a deep dive with someone who has literally zero open circuit decompression experience? I wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom