I Want A Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manogr

Reaction score
Ok..I know that everyone wants one :) and here are some of my requirements...If anyone has the time to give me some suggestions I will be grateful, as always !!

1)It should support both Air and Nitrox diving
2) I am a relatively new diver but I want it to cover me for a long time even if i will not use all the features now.
3)I don't really care if it will be air integrated (if it is i prefer a hoseless one)
4)It should have conservatism & other settings (cold, tired, altitude etc)
5)I want a nice log feature probably with PC support BUT keep in mind that I will always keep my traditional paper log, this is my important logbook.
6)I am confortable with computers, displays etc
7)It should continue operating between dives for surface intervals, flight time etc...it should be smart even when I am not diving, even when I dont ask it to do anything :)
8) SOS: It should provide decomp information, times etc if I do something wrong...
9)It should provide a sense of security...
10) User changeable batteries

All the above are some things i need from the computer I will buy...Of course feel free to provide recomendations for a computer not meeting all the above if you think that it is worth mentioning... I read many gear reviews etc but I believe that your opinions and experience is by far the best source for such a buy !!!

Thank you all

Manogr

I dive with the geniuses ReAct and I like it very much. I don't need to describe this computer as that you have already done that in your question. Well that’s about all I have on this. What I would do is a search on the board for this computer and you will see a few threads that have discussed it and others. Hope this helps.

The Suunto Vyper meets all of those requirements (I have one and am happy with it). Do a search on this board and you'll find plenty of info, opinions on this and other computers.

I too have the Genesis ReACT and find it very capable and fits all of your criteria.

It is very easy to use, is almost fool proof (you still must activate it prior to submerging), logs plenty of dives that you can scroll through, and about 36 hours of diving for download.

The download info is pretty basic and limited to the info that you see on the display, but viewing the depth profile can be pretty interesting.

If you like, I can send you screen shots of what the download info looks like.

From my experience here, the other computers I would have chosen would be the Suunto's, mostly due to their continued research into deco algorithms, and design.

Those that read my message first please note that I add to the message one more necessary requirement (10) that is User changeable batteries...

Thanks for your replies so far...and...keep them coming !!

Manogr

It's the best computer around.
I'm not sure if the batteries are 100% user changeable, but when you buy new batteries, ask the people you buy it from to install it. safer. I know with certain computers, changing batteries is a pain in the ass(uwatec for example). with SUUNTO it's way easier.

I use the Aeris 500AI the hosless version is the 750GT

here is a link to the site I really like this unit.

http://www.DIVEAERIS.COM

I paid less than 700 for the deluxe unit so give me a jingle if you are more interested. or questions

I've owned an EON, and the an EON Lux (which is for sale) I now have the Cobra..........beg bang for the buck, I really like it, uses the RGBM algorythym (the latest in bubble theories) has 3 modes, Air, Nitrox and Gauge, user replacable battery and very ergonomic. The down load is excellent, and produces a very nice log book. Again alot of bang for your buck, in the under $1000 cdn range.

john

I also use the Genisis React. I like the fact that the display is simple and easy to read at a glance. It has all of the features that you mentioned and is simple to download past dives to my pc. I got it because of the reasons that you stated, I'll "grow up" with it and all of it's capabilities.

Later, Hawk.

Back
Top Bottom