I want to buy Atomic reg but are they really noisy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every Atomic I (and my wife) have ever had, tend to squeal below about 1500 psi. Not even Atomic could fix them. I now happily own an Oceanic EOS.

you will not regret getting an atomic..Send it back to the factory for service and they will make sure the service is top notch and will work just like new. What other regulator makers can you send back to the factory for service.

I sent my Atomic regulator back to the factory 3 times because of noise. They replaced it the third time, but the replacement still made noise. They may breathe great, but the noise is totally uncalled for and very disturbing.
I now use an Oceanic EOS and love it.

I have a Atomic Z2 sealed reg and it doesnt have any issues with noise. It is also one of the best breathing regs I have had.

Two M1s, an ST1, a B2, and a Z1. No noise.

Reading the reports of noise, my theory is it's only the unsealed ones that have this problem, and only a small percentage of those. I have the ST1 which is sealed and has no noise.

Perhaps those who have persistent problem with noise could get theirs sealed and see if it helps.

I have 6 M1's and have never noticed any noise over the last three years. I'm super bugged by odd noises and such and would have noticed something odd by now.

6 Z2 first stages and 12 Z2 second stages in rental and more to be added. Never had one squeal. My personal T2 never squeals and none of my customers has ever returned an Atomic due to squealing. I service many Atomics owned by divemasters, world class u/w photographers, instructors and other dive professionals throughout the year and never had anyone comment about squealing. They are excellent regulators, superbly engineered, made in America, and hold up as rentals better than any other regs we have tried as rentals which usually end up in the junk parts bin.

One follow up thought. We environmentally seal our first stages, not because of the cold obviously, but because it keeps fine particulate matter such as coral sand, etc that may be suspended in the water from entering the first stage. I don't know the conditions that preceded the reports of squealing but it may be due to contamination or improper rinsing of the first stage. I have photos of some disassembled Atomics that have been worked hard and literally put away wet that will scare you from lack of rinsing and care but no reports of squealing in over 7 years as a dealer/repair tech.

Last edited:
SouthFlorida, My wife and I both (previously) had Atomics - and they were both noisy. We sent them back to Atomic numerous times and Atomic even replaced one of them. Yet, the noise continued - even in the new replacement. We sold both of them and now have Oceanic EOS's. In my opinion, they breathe even easier than the Atomic, they are far more reliable, and they are quiet.

Atomic dive equipment is like Apple computers..... After people pay double what they should for them, they are afraid to admit (or in denial) that after paying so much for something, they could have gotten something as good or better for much less.

Go with the Oceanic EOS!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom