• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

I want to murder my computer and feed it to the fishies!

Discussion in 'Mares... Just add Water!' started by melanie., Aug 20, 2011.

1. Hatul

Hatul Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I wonder if the clearing of the 10 foot deco time has to do with the computer adding a safety stop to the deco time? In my Vyper the Ascent Time in deco mode includes time to ascend to the ceiling (at 33 ft/min) + time at ceiling+ a 3 minute safety stop + time to reach the surface from the safety stop. What you're seeing as the deco time may include all those times, with the largest addition being the 3 minute safety stop.

According to my Suunto manual (which is probably the same for Mares) they recommend doing the 10 foot deco deeper than 13 feet to make sure the waves do not lift you above the 10 foot ceiling. Remember the deco depths are ceiling depths, that you're not allowed to go above. It's OK and desirable to stay below because you're still decompressing, just a little slower. Another explanation for increasing deco at 10 feet is that you went above the 10 foot ceiling and the computer penalized you.

As far as the ascent rate, it may be that your computer if it goes into deco mode expects you to ascend faster than 30 ft min in the deep part of the dive until you start to offgass (the floor).

I wonder why the technical computers don't include a safety stop? It may be that after doing a long deco the extra 3 minutes makes little difference or that the deco times already have that safety margin built into them.

Adam

2. Hatul

Hatul Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    A good book that teaches how to calculate how much gas you need on a planned dive so you don't run out is

The Six Skills and Other Discussions ... by Steve Lewis. He's a good guy who reveals the technical "secrets". He'll even autograph the book for you.

Also useful for working out the size of pony tank to make it to the surface.

http://www.techdivertraining.org/OrderBook.html

Adam

3. DuboisP

DuboisP Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    the good technical diver knows a lot about deco and doesn't need to have a safety stop on his computer.
    he planned his dive with security and can decide later if he will add or not some minutes of deco, depending the dive.

if you take the 2 following plans, you see 17 min deco more in the 2nd, for the same dive, by modifying the conservatism (security).
    the 2nd is yet secure, so, adding 3 minutes....

VPlanner VPM B + 0
    out at 140 min

VPlanner VPM B + 4
    out at 157 min

ianr33 likes this.
  4. ianr33

ianr33 Solo Diver

I think you might be onto something there. :wink:

Tortuga68 likes this.
  5. melanie.

melanie. Barracuda

I don't know, because with the Mares as soon as the deco obligation is done it starts counting down a 3 minute safety stop. Did another simulation, and the time to ascend does not include a safety stop. ie I had 6 mins of deco, and it said time to ascend was 7 minutes.
    As well, time to ascend while in safety stop is nothing.. so I am assuming that means 0 :D

6. ianr33

ianr33 Solo Diver

Maybe the safety stop time is only included if it's an obligatory safety stop as opposed to an optional safety stop? :D

7. Cave Diver

Cave Diver Divemaster

It's likely including time for a safety stop, even though you've completed deco stops. I've had a computer that did that.

8. Cave Diver

Cave Diver Divemaster

If you had 6 minutes of deco, say at 10', that 7th minute is probably time to surface. i.e. you should take one minute moving from your 10' stop to the surface.

9. melanie.

melanie. Barracuda

I thought all safety stops by definition are optional?

Either way, if it wanted me to do more time, why would it not just add more minutes to my obligated time? Trying to "hide" it in there just seems pretty useless and inconvenient to me.

10. melanie.

melanie. Barracuda

Well yeah lol.
    Interesting though that when I am at the same depth and its counting down safety stop it doesn't give me a minute to ascend.