I want to see a clownfish!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AtomicZ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an obsession with clownfish and am looking at taking a week long dive trip in the next 3 months. Are there any places that someone can recommend for this that doesn't break the bank?

The local Aquarium!

Seriously, I saw several in the Philippines. The diving there is real cheap (about $20 per for a boat dive, includes air gear if you need & a drink after). Unfortunately the flight will cost around $1,300 and consume the better part of a day!

Last edited:
IMO, a week is not worth going anywhere you will see them unless there is a species native to Hawaii. Both times I've seen them (Thailand and Tonga) involved about 20 hours on planes each way. I won't do that for less than two weeks and prefer three weeks.

I think Nemo, which is what most people seem to be interested in these days, was a percula clown. There are many different species.

I have an obsession with clownfish and am looking at taking a week long dive trip in the next 3 months. Are there any places that someone can recommend for this that doesn't break the bank?

I love them too but didn't see my first one until a few years ago!
Here's a little video I did of them: http://www.vimeo.com/1258534
These are anemone fish, not the little orange Nemo fish.

No, there is no place to see clownfish and anemonefish are, outside of an aquarium, that won't be expensive. Sorry! They are pretty common in Fiji, Palau, Philippines, Indonesia, Great Barrier Reef: all of the south pacific area.
The least expensive place might be Fiji, but that is still a bit more $$$ than you may want to spend and all travel will be at least a day to get there if not more.
check out Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations for trips to that area of the world.

Hawaii does NOT have any type of clownfish BUT they do have lots and lots of cool fish. So if you can wait to go on one of those bigger, more expensive trips, go to Hawaii where diving is easy and you can get some dive time under your belt. You are probably too new to diving to worry about doing more than that for now. The Caribbean is much cheaper, depending where you are flying from, but no clownfish.

If you haven't already, go out and buy some Fish ID books. The series by Paul Humann are excellent. YOu can start to familiarize yourself with all the amazing creatures in the ocean all over the world. One of the first things I did when I got certified was to buy some of these books. I love them and refer to them often, trying to pick out new fish I have never seen. :D

Just my 2 cents.

robin:D

I'd put in a plug for the Philippines for a bargain; Puerto Galera to be exact. I just came back from a two week trip there that cost me about $2500 for two weeks. Half of that ($1260) was for airfare from JFK. Be prepared for a long plane flight and overland travel and a ferry to get you there.

The diving wasn't the best I ever had, but was good by any standards. Clownfish, frog fish and Lionfish all over the place and everything else in some of those reef ID books. DM's (Nilo in particular) are very good at finding all the little stuff.

I stayed at Boquete Beach Club and dove with Sabang Divers. It's not the Taj Mahal, but then neither is the price. The place is adequate and clean. The chef is superb so the food is what I consider good and reasonably priced at about $7 per meal.

You can look it all up at Diving with Sabang Divers Puerto Galera Philippines and make your own decision. PM me if you need any details, but if so be prepared for some long dissertations. Unfortunately my video housing sprung a leak so I can't furnish good video at this time. Guess I'll have to go back for that.

Barry

I want to see a clownfish!

Here you go...

...you're welcome:D

But seriously now, to the best of my knowledge all 28 species of Anemonefish are Indo-Pacific species and Hawaii might be Pacific but I doubt it has enough Indo to qualify:wink:

You might want to consider the Red Sea. It's a bit closer than south east Asia and while I haven't dived there, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't struggle finding Anemonefish in the Red Sea. It's meant to be a pretty hot diving spot anyway so a week spent there might be very rewarding. I certainly wouldn't mind a week in the Red Sea right now.

You could always come to Japan- in the southern islands of Okinawa we have various species of "clown fish" to see including Nemo and many of his cousins. We have both beach and boat diving available and it is not as expensive as many people think- and much easier to get to than some of the places in the this area of the world. Delta has a direct flight from Atlanta to Tokyo and than a 2 hr hop to Okinawa and you are diving- no little puddle jumpers to deal with so taking your dive gear is no problem.

Japan-Diver is right. Less that 5 mins walk from Reef Encounters (Japan-Diver's shop), you can get in the water at Sunabe and see a bunch of clownfish. I see a couple of them everytime I dive there about 40 yards from the entry point.
There is also a specific dive site you can go to and see about 10+ different types of clownfish. It is fantastic! Come to Okinawa and check it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom