I was scratching through an old dive box....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

widget

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
.....last night and I came across this "White Elephant" of a demand valve. :D

Anybody remember them.? Anybody dived one.? I remember I used it a few times just to see how it worked,....... it didnt really, but thats another thread.

I picked it up one year (many years ago) at Dema. I forgot about it cos it never made our market, but I just wondered if anybody still has one.?

Attachments

• octo.jpg
    octo.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 129
It is called "air buddy" something and they are still made. Do a search as there seemed to be quite the discussion on them recently.

Last edited:
It is called buddy something and they are still made. Do a search as there seemed to be quite the discussion on them recently.

Wow, I didnt know they were still available. Is that to the mass market or is it very niche.?

I did a search but I couldnt find much, maybe my search skills are a bit tatty, I'll keep trying.:D

The product is the Air Buddy and if you would like to see one here is the Leisure pro SKU and a short description. More info can be found on Leisure pro's webpage. SKU:AQUAASP "Air Buddy" Alternate Air Source, without Hose (screws directly into 1'st stage)
Air Buddy is the modern alternate air source. It is the smallest, safest and most convenient alternate air source on the market today. First introduced in 1996, it has become widely used by government agencies, sport divers around the world and commercial diving entities. The Air Buddy gives you 20% more breathing time on a bottle of air than any other alternate air source.

There are three versions of the air buddy on Leisure Pro just type in Air Buddy into the search window and you can view all three.

Sincerely,

Leisure proski

How does it give you 20% more time? It looks like a giant monkey **** that you put in your mouth (before I get modded, I'd love to know a more PC term -- I asked my instructor and he suggested "dog ****", which doesn't really help the issue).

Yeah, I think the %20 savings is pure hype. However, it looks less likely to freeflow.

Yes, I never had a fee flow issue and obviously there is no purge issue, but I too cant see there can be a 20% saving in air.

It also takes a lot of getting used to as you basically have to bite down on the mouthpiece, which move's the internal lever and opens the seat to allow air to flow, then you release the bite and exhale into the water, my biggest issue was lack of flow under even reasonable working conditions, this is not a demand valve I believe you can use under hard working conditions, like swimming against a strong current, doing physical underwater work, assisting a panicing diver etc the breathing manner is not natural and there is simply not sufficient air flow.

I wouldnt use this as an octo for regular recreation diving either, divers are not taught to breathe on these demand valves under normal training conditions, so a diver in a panic will not think to bite and release to get air, and the reduced airflow will be an issue in my opinion.

Good input about the device. Thanks.

......quickly put that Air Buddy thingy back in Pandora's Box where it and all the other 'special ed' dohickys belong...some things should never see the light of day!

Back
Top Bottom