I would like to make my own hookah setup....is it this simple?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not one with a compressor, just one that attaches to a tank. I do a lot of shallow diving from a Boston Whaler/ Kayak and I would like to be able to keep the tank in the boat, and just hop over with a weight belt and tickle stick. Is it as easy as just getting a 50 ft hose and connecting it between the 1st and 2nd stage? Where can I get the hose?
The hose will be easy to find on the net, either premade or custom order with the suitable connectors. I bought one for hull cleaning a few years ago but last time I checked, that site was no longer there. I never went more than a few feet deep so I can't comment on second stage performance but you can also easily adjust the second stage for slightly lower pressure.

Why restrict yourself to the boat. Try my "Dive Sled" concept. As for breathing, I generally use 100' 3/8" 300psi air hose and have no breathing issues whatsoever!!!

The "Dive Sled" is something I invented to hold three tanks on the surface which I can pull around using a tow line attached to back side of my weight belt while I am diving below. I typically use upwards of a 100' 300psi air hose attached to one of the tanks depending on depth desired. It is actually quite easy to tow and I find there is no real danger not having an air guage. When the air runs low in the tank the breathing becomes more strained but there is always plenty of air to surface safely on. The Dive Sled is an excellent vehicle to use off the beach giving the diver three tanks to use rather than the traditional one tank at a time scuba diving method. Also a Catch or Storage box can be built onto the Dive Sled.

Poor Mans Hookah

Attachments

• diivesled16.jpg
    diivesled16.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 297
  • divesledphil1.jpg
    divesledphil1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 307
  • diveseld15.jpg
    diveseld15.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 301
Attached find some photos of my "DIVE SLED" set up.
1. There are the two 50" 300psi air hoses (available from various air hose suppliers, home depot, lowes, etc.) attached together using a 3/8" female swivel connector.
2. I use another connector to go from the 1st Stage to the 3/8" hose and the same for connection to the regulator.
3. I use a 90' section of small diameter rope that attaches to the Sled and allows me to pull the sled with very little effort. The air hose remains loose and unencumbered. I feed enough of the hose under my weight belt to comfortable reach my mouth with the 2nd.

Conclusion: This is without a doubt the best Poor Man hookah system possible. The breathing is easy even down 90'. I have never gotten tangled up in the hose. I have never had a problem getting back to the surface when the air starts pulling. I have successfully caught hundreds of Lobsters using this system.

Attachments

• hose.gif
    hose.gif
    59.4 KB · Views: 291
  • hose1.gif
    hose1.gif
    68.3 KB · Views: 237
  • hose2.gif
    hose2.gif
    45.2 KB · Views: 246
  • hose3.gif
    hose3.gif
    51.3 KB · Views: 231
  • hose4.gif
    hose4.gif
    46.9 KB · Views: 229
Well I have been diving since 1972 and have probably over 3000 dives taken in numerous places around the World. I have been a DM since 1989 and have a perfect safety record. With that said please enlighten me as to what your issue with the pressure hose I am using. Is there something I am missing. I have used this type of air hose for upwards of ten years and have spent countless hours underwater using it for lobstering, hunting and Wow yes even cleaning hulls. The hose is ideal for diving use and you are misguided in your analysis. And by the way, it is PVC.

Pneumatic tool hose is pretty tough stuff. Shops around the world keep it pressurized all day long and you hardly ever see one burst. A shop environment is probably as tough or tougher than a marine environment too. Those hoses get stepped on, run over, exposed to heat and dragged across sharp and rough surfaces day after day after day.

You're breathing off pneumatic tool hose? :shocked2: Remind me never to go diving with you.

You don't really think that scuba hoses are any different in construction do you? If it holds the air at the appropriate pressure, and can have fittings to accommodate the first and second stage, who cares what type of hose it is?

I'll refrain from making any snide remarks here, however tempting it may be. Just let me say that if either of you had a clue about surface supplied air, you wouldn't advocate using pneumatic tool hose to breath with. Holy jeezus.

For those of us who are uninformed and interested, could you expound? Different polymer compound I assume?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom