IANTD vs. ANDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Questions, I have lots of questions...

blacknet said:

Sounds like they used a partial pressure setup for the tanks and didn't want the cleanliness ruined by your non-o2 cleaned regulator. Don't feel bad I would not have you use my o2 clean tank with your non-o2 cleaned reg either.

-and-

The only thing that needs to be o2 cleaned on the regulator is the 1st stange and the hoses, NOT the second stage.

How does a regulator (being downstream and all) contaminate a tank?

Why clean the first stage and hoses, but not the second stage? If the pressure drop through the first stage is sufficient to reduce the combustion risk to acceptable levels, then why do the hoses need to be O2 clean?

Does the ANDI standard for fills require the fill station operator to investigate the O2 status of a divers regulator, as well as his tank?

If yes, once determined to be clean, do they mark the regulator or otherwise note on it that it has been accepted?

Will they accept an O2 prepped regulator from, for instance, Apeks without further inspection/cleaning/upgrading or is in-store service required?

Also, do the more limiting standards that ANDI requires have anything to do with their "SafeAir" which is mixed as high as 50% O2 instead of the usual 40% limit for recreational nitrox?

Thanks!

Hello,

Some clarification

Say you have a contaminant in the loop and you turn high pressure on that it will hit against the wall and could cause a fire. It has happened before. Or you put some contaminants on the valve from your regulator then you have shop A fill the tank and the next tank they fill will get the contaminant in their system.

Why clean the first stage and hoses, but not the second stage? If the pressure drop through the first stage is sufficient to reduce the combustion risk to acceptable levels, then why do the hoses need to be O2 clean?

Well the cleaning standards states all high pressure (anything over 200 psi) must be o2 cleaned, since your intermediate pressure is under this there is 1/2 the regulator that technicaly needs to be cleaned. Since you can not clean half the first stage you clean the whole unit and the hoses connecting to the unit. Once the gas flow reaches the second stage it's considered low pressure

Does the ANDI standard for fills require the fill station operator to investigate the O2 status of a divers regulator, as well as his tank?

This is just a CYA procedure that will help save your life. You can't trust just anyone that comes into the shop with a said 'o2 clean unit' and think it's 100% clean, you don't know how it's been treated, stored, cared for, handled or cleaned, or when it was cleaned for that matter. Or what method it was cleaned in. You have alot of yahoo's out there who thinks just using simple green is all there is to o2 cleaning.

I don't know about the standards but where I fill my tanks at I show them my tank log book. In this log book I list everything that was done to the tank, who filled it, their signature, the date, the mix and what method was used. I also have the same for my regulator. BTW I use DIN exclusively on my nitrox setups because I don't want some yahoo to goof and put their non-o2 clean regulator on my tank or put my o2 clean reg on their tank. Just another safeguard.

Will they accept an O2 prepped regulator from, for instance, Apeks without further inspection/cleaning/upgrading or is in-store service required?

Shops will see alot of 'o2 clean' crap that is actually that, crap. They are running a huge risk by filling your tank so I can understand all the safeguards. One shop in particular gave me the 3rd degree about filling my tank so I picked up the phone and called my buddy rainreg who took care of the situation. My tank was filled and not to my specifications so I won't be using that shop again.

Even if you look at apeks they will tell you to have the regulator o2 serviced BEFORE using it, even tho it's 'o2 clean'

Also, do the more limiting standards that ANDI requires have anything to do with their "SafeAir" which is mixed as high as 50% O2 instead of the usual 40% limit for recreational nitrox?

Basicaly when they partial pressure blend you are working with o2 HIGHER than 200 psi and thus requiring o2 cleaning. Even if you look into the noaa manual you will find reference to cleaning *ALL* mixtures over air that exceeds 200 psi.

Also note the current edition of the NOAA manual contains alot of errors, ranges from simple math errors, table errors, false data, and so forth. After a long conversation with the production manager at NTIS I was informed there is another publication in the works to correct the many errors that has been found and to update the outdated information in the manual.

Basicaly from my observation and experience, when in doubt o2 clean it. This may be abit drastic but I personaly would rather be safe than sorry. O2 cleaning is rather cheap, economical and cost effective and does *NOT* need to be recleaned yearly. Personaly I don't see what all the hype is about not doing the cleaning.

Ed

For the benefit of any new arrivals to this board, we really went through O2 cleaning quite extensively about 8 months ago in the following note: http://www.scubaboard.com/t4305/s.html

If you're going to get into the technical side of things, be ready for arguments, and O2 cleaning is always a good one... :)

Ed may allude to boom and gloom stories of cylinders blowing up because someone ate a greasy pizza in the same room, but he can back none of it up. We have one Ti regulator blowing up for unknown causes, a compressor letting go down under from unknown causes and the rest of the stories are about hand warmers in hyperbaric chambers and hydrogen oxygen mixtures. Even when it came to what he claimed was a “true story” turns out no one in the area where he claimed that it happened had heard of it.

On the other hand we have the WKPP mixing using hundreds of uncleaned cylinders without problems every time they do a weekend dive. This is beyond my comfort level, but it's one heck of a datapoint.

Read the note pointed to above and make your own informed decision, it's a very complete debate.

Roak

Ps. For voodoo mixing and chickens, see: http://www.scubaboard.com/t4727/s.html

The chemistry and physics of the matter is clear. Pre-blended mixes, up to 40%, have no problem going into even non-cleaned tanks. There is no real dnager it this and if partial pressure filling is not used, you have to be really naive to even consider the fact that this is really a liability issue. I still beleive that this is primarily a money issue.

Altough I know that this matter was beaten to death in the past, I am still happy that we can have a lively discussion.

Windknot and Yoop, I will be happy to go diving with you next time in MI, you just have to promise me that I will be able to get my tanks filled, even without getting my reg O2 cleaned.

Ari

Originally posted by Ari
Windknot and Yoop, I will be happy to go diving with you next time in MI, you just have to promise me that I will be able to get my tanks filled, even without getting my reg O2 cleaned.

Ari

You go it!

:thumb:

Mike

The reason you were turned down is because ANDI believes any percentage of oxygen greater than 21% should be handled as pure oxygen. The entire rest of the industry that handles oxygen including industrial and medical usage says that 40% or less can be treated as 21% air.

Some people think that the reason for the standpoint that ANDI makes is because the CEO of ANDI is also the inventor and patend holder for the only pure oxygen compatable compressor available. so it makes you think that if your treat everything over 21% as pure oxygen then you are going to need a compressor ca[pable of pumping out pure oxygen [even if you are only using it for 32% nitrox] so if you need this compressor were do you buy one. from the CEO of ANDI.

I recomend that you take you tank to any other scuba shop and get it filled.

This is just my opinion on not the opinion of any agency I am connected with, and most of this is third hand hear say. but it is what i hear

Third hand or not, Aquatec, that is interesting.

Roakey seems to have a grip on things. Otherwise, also interesting. I had no idea that divers would become oxygen paranoid. Reminds me of the "Nitek" discussion in the computer room.

The only way a regulator would contaminate a clean tank and hence, the shop fill whip, would be if there was a dime sized glob of silicone on the regulator inlet. If they're that worried the shop monkey could wipe the connector off once in a while. Get real Andi.

Originally posted by reefraff
Questions, I have lots of questions...

blacknet said:

-and-

If yes, once determined to be clean, do they mark the regulator or otherwise note on it that it has been accepted?

Thanks!
ANdi's term safe air refers to gas that meats ANDI's gas purity standards. which are considerably higher than grade E and what many other agencies allow for use doing PP blending.

In many contries anything the comes into a higher percentage of o2 than air is supposed to be clean.

I teach for TDI, and ANDI, padi, and I can relate a few personal experiences I have seen...

I have seen a non cleaned reg burn up at at 36% mix (actually it was the spg the case melted)
most likely a runaway combustion will not occur with less than 40% but thats not the big issue, with any gear that has hydrocarbon residue there is a chance of undetectable combustion.. what can happen is that the minute traces of oil can combust, since the o2 concentration isn't very high a o2 flash fire doesn't occur but what does happen is that small combustion that occured created CO in the breathing mix, and at deeper depths it can be a problem since once CO attaches itself to hemoglobin the bond is unlikely to break until the cell dies...

getting regs o2 cleaned during service isn't a big deal it should only add a few $$ to the service.. using crystolube(which by the way improves reg performance) instead of silicon and replacing burna nitrile o rings with viton.. If a store is charging more than a modest ammount, you should find another store.. if you reg is not o2 clean and you bring it in for cleaning you are going to get a full overhaul-(which you should be doing at least 1 time a year) if you lds charges say $75 for normal service on average you shouldn't pay more than $15-$25 more (some regs will cost more, but thats really reg specific)

I have seperate sets of regs, 1 set that I use for non o2 compatible air, all my other sets are o2 clean..

I only get gas that I know what the quality is... Your local ANDI dealer MUST get his gas tested quartely(and meet ANDI's standards) and results submitted to ANDI, or he looses his facility license.

I wouldn't have gone as far as asking to see your regs to rent a tank, but if you were requesting to use it on a boat that is operated by the dive store, or within an ANDI program, then I would deny your use..

The rule that ANDI enforces within its programs stating when more than 1 gas mix is used all second stages must have the contents of the gas clearly visible.. It make is very clear when following buddy procedures and doing a gas switch that your buddy can verify you aren't breathing a dangerous mix..
ALL my 2nd stages have a tag that I always update.. Its a good preventative measure to get into..

Originally posted by AquaTec
The reason you were turned down is because ANDI believes any percentage of oxygen greater than 21% should be handled as pure oxygen. The entire rest of the industry that handles oxygen including industrial and medical usage says that 40% or less can be treated as 21% air.

Some people think that the reason for the standpoint that ANDI makes is because the CEO of ANDI is also the inventor and patend holder for the only pure oxygen compatable compressor available. so it makes you think that if your treat everything over 21% as pure oxygen then you are going to need a compressor ca[pable of pumping out pure oxygen [even if you are only using it for 32% nitrox] so if you need this compressor were do you buy one. from the CEO of ANDI.

I recomend that you take you tank to any other scuba shop and get it filled.

This is just my opinion on not the opinion of any agency I am connected with, and most of this is third hand hear say. but it is what i hear

Not really true

ANDI does not require the use of a compressor that can pump 100% oxygen, in fact most ANDI facilities use PP blending with o2 (not through the compressor). But if you have an o2 compatible compressor you can make the nitrox on the fly pumping o2 directly into the compressor..
Even using a membrane system is not against ANDI policies as long as its done right.. in the case of a membrane you should be using an oil free and o2 compatible compressor. Most of the compressor fires I have heard about involved menbrane systems using standard compressors and a few of them were on liveaboards.
ANDI requires that the gas before it come in contact with an area that can get exposed to 100% oxygen be o2 compatible gas.. This requires sereral filters, and requires them to be changed on time.. I am sure about the standards because I'm setting up my own facility.

a new oil free compressor from RIX cost around 60K, ANDI has some RIX compressors that were rebuilt and converted for true o2 service for about half that.. When the head of ANDI had his own shops he had probably the best gas around and lots of it.. his main storage bank was 12 cylinders at 4000 cuft a piece.. He even had trimix banked..

If you pump alot of gas getting a true oil free compressor will save you money in the long run but the initial layout is substantially more.

Originally posted by Rick Murchison
Aside from ANDI, all recreational Nitrox certifying agencies, NOAA, OSHA and the United States Coast Guard "allow gas mixes with oxygen up to 40% to be handled as if they were air."
NOAA Diving manual 15.11.4; OSHA 29 CFR 1910.430; USCG 46 CFR 197.452
If you believe all these folks, ANDI's position is without basis.
Rick
My earlier message didn't mention the Navy standard that ANDI uses for their justification. Here it is:
------------------------------------------------
"10-8 Change A U.S. Navy Diving Manual—Volume 2
10-9 EQUIPMENT CLEANLINESS
Cleanliness and the procedures used to obtain cleanliness are a concern with NITROX systems. MIL-STD-1330 is applicable to anything with an oxygen level higher than 25 percent by volume. Therefore, MIL-STD-1330 must be followed when dealing with NITROX systems. Personnel involved in the maintenance and repair of NITROX equipment shall complete an oxygen clean worker course, as described in MIL-STD-1330. Even with oxygen levels of 25 to 40 percent, there is still a greater risk of fire than with compressed air. Materials that would not normally burn in air may burn at these higher O2 levels. Normally combustible materials require less energy to ignite and will burn faster. The energy required for ignition can come from different sources, for example adiabatic compression or particle impact/spark. Another concern is that if improper cleaning agents or processes are used, the agents themselves can become fire or toxic hazards. It is therefore important to adhere to MIL-STD-1330 to reduce the risk of damage or loss of equipment and injury or death of personnel.
10-10 BREATHING GAS PURITY
It is essential that all gases used in producing a NITROX mixture meet the breathing gas purity standards for oxygen (Table 4-3) and nitrogen (Table 4-5). If air is to be used to produce a mixture, it must be compressed using an oil free NITROX approved compressor or meet the purity requirements of oil free air (Table 10-2). Prior to diving, all NITROX gases shall be analyzed using an ANU approved O2 analyzer accurate to within ± 0.5 percent."
-----------------------------------------------
Now you have both sides of the coin - authorities who embrace the 40% rule include Dive training agencies (except ANDI), NOAA, OSHA and the US Coast Guard; authorities who embrace oxygen cleaning and service ratings for all Nitrox are ANDI and the US Navy.
Me? Well, I'm USN(Ret) and an SSI instructor. I'm also cheap. I'll go with SSI and the 40% rule crowd.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom