IANTD's Essential's Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure you pack a snorkel ;-)

Ha ha ha, they relaxed that one a long time ago, even the dive buddy requirement. But a new LG still stopped me and my bud back in July (same beach as Laguna DIR day will be at) because we were the first DIR configured divers he's seen and thought we didn't know what we were doing so wanted a snorkel.

After convincing him that we're going SCUBA diving, not snorkling, he finally relented with a monotone "be safe and make sure you're DAN coverage is current".

Ha ha ha, they relaxed that one a long time ago, even the dive buddy requirement. But a new LG still stopped me and my bud back in July (same beach as Laguna DIR day will be at) because we were the first DIR configured divers he's seen and thought we didn't know what we were doing so wanted a snorkel.

After convincing him that we're going SCUBA diving, not snorkling, he finally relented with a monotone "be safe and make sure you're DAN coverage is current".

To this date, all Laguna Beach City Dive Ordinances remain fully intact, including the infamous "snorkel law". The only recent changes have been in the diligence in which violations are enforced/prosecuted.

To this date, all Laguna Beach City Dive Ordinances remain fully intact, including the infamous "snorkel law". The only recent changes have been in the diligence in which violations are enforced/prosecuted.

I seem to recall an explicit announcement regarding snorkle requirements that caused me to sigh relief and finally stop bringing them without fear of retribution. I don't know, that was a long time ago. But in the past 250 dives at Laguna it's only been brought up once but not enforced.

I can find only one link and it is cached that mentions that we are no longer expected to have a buddy or snorkel. Whether the law is still there and enforcable, I dont know. But it does not seem to be enforced as I have never been mandated to carry one, and not everyone uses one that I dive with, either, and haven't been harrassed over it but once.

OCdiving.com - A Message from Laguna Beach MSO and Lifeguards!

I seem to recall an explicit announcement regarding snorkle requirements that caused me to sigh relief and finally stop bringing them without fear of retribution. I don't know, that was a long time ago. But in the past 250 dives at Laguna it's only been brought up once but not enforced.

I can find only one link and it is cached that mentions that we are no longer expected to have a buddy or snorkel. Whether the law is still there and enforcable, I dont know. But it does not seem to be enforced as I have never been mandated to carry one, and not everyone uses one that I dive with, either, and haven't been harrassed over it but once.

OCdiving.com - A Message from Laguna Beach MSO and Lifeguards!

The article that you linked clearly corroborates that fact that "(existing city ordinance) has not been removed, and is still very enforceable". The article only refers to a recent policy change in how City Lifeguards and Marine Safety Officers enforce the ordinance. It should be noted that these are not only organizations authorized to enforce the ordinance.

You may have lucked in you recent dives only because onesie-twosie infractions are not worth the trouble. But a beach full of snorkeless longhosers is easy money. After all, times are still tough. Even in a GOP stronghold like the OC ;-)

You may have lucked in you recent dives only because onesie-twosie infractions are not worth the trouble. But a beach full of snorkeless longhosers is easy money. After all, times are still tough. Even in a GOP stronghold like the OC ;-)

Well then I chose an ideal diving style as there are very few minimalist and long hose clad divers on the beaches. But there are many colorful snorkel bearers out and about.

:confused:

:eyebrow:

:cheers:

GUE fundamentals and PDIC Tek Prep changed my diving forever. I was also lucky to take them back to back with two training directors (Bob and Trace)! Even if I had not passed the time in the water with these two was worth it. :D

Superlyte27 Bob is an absolutely amazing Instructor seen him teach a number of times. You can't go wrong with his classes his ability to fine tune peoples skills is outstanding. If you go GUE go with Bob. He travels all around so he may even be doing some in the future local to you.

Even if I had not passed the class, [added for clarity] the time in the water with these two was worth it.
That means it was a good class because it REALLY IS about the Education, Not the card!

Superlyte27 Bob is an absolutely amazing Instructor seen him teach a number of times. You can't go wrong with his classes his ability to fine tune peoples skills is outstanding. If you go GUE go with Bob. He travels all around so he may even be doing some in the future local to you.

To be clear, there are great GUE instructors at the fundies level of education in Florida too, and in cave country no less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom