Ice Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It still comes down to a knot or splice either if not done right could let you down, or keep you down.:( WOW 3/4" line do you guys need weight belts?:D

He he, yeah
this is why some guy treat it as a cave dive -:) #24 line weights much less :D

We typically do 3 divers in a hole at the same time, and one safety diver per hole (we do large group things here). If there's an emergancy in any one hole, that diver goes in, everyone else on site comes up, and the first safety diver to have his group out ties onto the safety diver's line in the problem hole and follows him in.

We typically do 3 divers in a hole at the same time, and one safety diver per hole (we do large group things here). If there's an emergancy in any one hole, that diver goes in, everyone else on site comes up, and the first safety diver to have his group out ties onto the safety diver's line in the problem hole and follows him in.

We also use a similar procedure. The 1st Safety is tied off to the end of the safety line on a harness and the 2nd safety diver is on a running loop.

I'm glad I started this thread. It's almost an ice diving class.:D:popcorn:

Yes, do not try ice diving without the proper training from an instructor. Internet diving does not count.

Oh, and when you get your ice diving cert, its great to use it on your tropical trips. Most people in the tropics never even seen snow, so they just stair at you.

I can recommend a book "ICE Diving Operations" by Hendrick/Zaferes I have not seen many of the books on the topic neither we had any PADI material during our course but that's a great book covering many topics on how to do it properly.

Yes, do not try ice diving without the proper training from an instructor. Internet diving does not count.

Too late I've done that for years. Except for the basic cert all my training for diving has come from doing. Wreck, night, ice, decom all by doing and enjoying hundreds if not over a thousand of hours of diving. Keep your head, use your head. Common sense goes a long way. If it doesn't feel right it ain't, don't do it, has kept me alive and safe for a long time.:wink:

Too late I've done that for years. Except for the basic cert all my training for diving has come from doing. Wreck, night, ice, decom all by doing and enjoying hundreds if not over a thousand of hours of diving. Keep your head, use your head. Common sense goes a long way. If it doesn't feel right it ain't, don't do it, has kept me alive and safe for a long time.:wink:

:shakehead: the saying "you don't know what you don't know", and "ignorance is bliss" comes to mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom