Ice Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:shakehead: the saying "you don't know what you don't know", and "ignorance is bliss" comes to mind.

Blissful I am, ignorant I'm not, learning by doing teaches you lessons that classrooms can't and in a way that you don't forget them. Close calls? I've had a few, but then again too few to mention. I do it my way!:shocked2::shakehead::rofl3:

Blissful I am, ignorant I'm not, learning by doing teaches you lessons that classrooms can't and in a way that you don't forget them. Close calls? I've had a few, but then again too few to mention. I do it my way!:shocked2::shakehead::rofl3:

But to get training prevents you from making mistakes of the pioneers that came before (accident analysis), with the availability of training today theres just no need in my opinion. No need to reinvent the wheel, also to recommend it on a public board...

Just a few articles I found off of google;
http://www.atlantisinstructors.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=98&Itemid=2

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-21512.html

Last edited:
But to get training prevents you from making mistakes of the pioneers that came before, with the availability of training today theres just no need in my opinion. Also to recommend it on a public board...

I am one of the pioneers that came before. A rare breed a old bold diver. There was nothing beyond basic when I started and all the advanced type diving you learned by doing, if you had the testes. I wasn't about to spend my time and money after 10 years of diving to take a AOW class. I just kept diving until 1992 when various things prevented me from continuing until this year. My only regret is that I didn't log many of those dives and the log I had I can't find. I'll probably take some kind of AOW/Nitrox training so I can travel and dive. These days it seems that's the only way one can do it. Thanks for your concern but it's not necessary I do just fine for a old man.:D

I am one of the pioneers that came before. A rare breed a old bold diver. There was nothing beyond basic when I started and all the advanced type diving you learned by doing, if you had the testes. I wasn't about to spend my time and money after 10 years of diving to take a AOW class. I just kept diving until 1992 when various things prevented me from continuing until this year. My only regret is that I didn't log many of those dives and the log I had I can't find. I'll probably take some kind of AOW/Nitrox training so I can travel and dive. These days it seems that's the only way one can do it. Thanks for your concern but it's not necessary I do just fine for a old man.:D

Yes because alot of the pioneers lost their life making those mistakes we are taught today not to make. Also think of your audience is it my concern for you necessarily that made me post?

Just for the record; it's not. :)

:shakehead: the saying "you don't know what you don't know", and "ignorance is bliss" comes to mind.
You know it's bad when DCBC (the guy who doesn't think cavern training is necessary) tells you not to learn it online. :D

You know it's bad when DCBC (the guy who doesn't think cavern training is necessary) tells you not to learn it online. :D

I was joking about the ice diving class, I even said almost which indicates it's not a class. I survived my mistakes because they were small and few. Any "new" dives we made were well thought out and planned. My "audience"? This is advanced discussion my "audience" should know enough to think for themselves. I never once recommended my way to anyone. We did what we did because we had to do it that way, there was no other way at the time. I even said I was considering AWO/Nitrox training, don't you think my "audience" read that too? Geezz light up.:lotsalove:

Oh, and when you get your ice diving cert, its great to use it on your tropical trips. Most people in the tropics never even seen snow, so they just stair at you.

And, when you show it, you are immediately given a pass from the assumption that you don't know how to dive well.

That Sir is an unfair assumption, nor does it adequately portray my position. Perhaps you should invest in a reading comprehension class.

What you are referring to is a statement that I made telling a diver & his buddy (both AOW certified) that they didn't need cavern training if they were in the cavern entry with full visibility of the surface (no penetration). This is common practice for many Blue Holes and other entrances where no cavern or cave penetration is required.

I am a Cavern Diving Instructor; I hardly would go through the motions to gain such a rating if I felt that students didn't need it.

I'd appreciate it if you stop making inaccurate off the cuff remarks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom