Ice Diving Speciality - Recommendations for PADI Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmcdarris

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I live in North Carolina and am interested in an Ice Diving Cert - not that I need it here, but I am interested in traveling North for some good cold weather diving in the winter (and yes, my wife thinks I'm nuts, but I have always been interested in ice diving). I am a PADI DM and am dry suit certified, as we do dry suit cold water quarry diving in the winter. I would like recommendations for a PADI shop in the northern US or east coast of Canada. Any suggestions?

not sure of any specific ones, but I know Bryan at @Lake Hickory Scuba goes up and does ice diving every year. That'd be a good start

@cmcdarris, as @tbone1004 stated, we go up every March and Ice Dive in Lake Champlain and Chazy Lake, in the Adirondacks Mountains, in upstate New York. We can teach the class through SSI, PADI, PDIC, SEI, and CMAS. Ice diving is a very unique type of diving, but like cave diving and technical diving, there are more risks involved than just regular recreational diving. With this being said, we tend to do a 3 month program starting in January, where a student will make at least 10 dives in water colder than 50 degrees, usually here in our lake or a local quarry, to help prepare them for the extreme temperatures they will feel while up north. Just as a reference, water temperature where we dive in New York, is 34 degrees and air temperature ranges from below 0-20 degrees. The classroom portion isn't that bad, roughly 10 hours of class, but we have to make sure all students can handle the environment and the basic skills they learned in Open Water, but at depth, in 34 degree water, and under a canopy. During the 3 month prep diving, students will primarily focus on mask removal and replacement, while being tended on a line, and with a simulated canopy over top. The target time frame for us, is either the first or second week in March, all dependent on how fast the lakes freeze up north. In the event a student is unable to budget the cost of the class and trip, we can do it here, as standards only require a small canopy of ice, and not the 2-4 feet of ice we cut through up north. That being said, our lake very rarely freezes over. Here is some of our recent trips up to Lake Champlain.

He may be already booked for 2018, but @abnfrog (Stephen Simpson) puts on a fantastic program in Temagami, Ontario, Canada. It is quite a bit of travel, and in the middle of nowhere, but that is all part of it. @lowviz also made the trip for a session too. Both of our write-ups are here on SB.
ice dive stuff 042.JPG

Last edited:
ice dive = best dives ever. you have to do it!

Dive Utah in utah has two locations, both absolutely superb, and do ice diving in the Scofield reservoir during the winter. Bonus points you'll be in the best snow in the USA on the Wasatch range if you enjoy skiing or snowboarding.

Double bonus every dive in utah is atleast 2000ft above sea level so you can easily pick up an altitude diving cert concurrently.

The shop where I used to DM has a course--usually in March I believe. Torpedo Rays Scuba Adventures of Dartmouth/Halifax, Nova Scotia. "Atlantic Canada's largest recreational diving facility".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom