Ice diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski once bubbled...
jetblast00, do you work for Cal? sorry, just sounded like. I'll be there tonight to pickup my yet another BP/Harness. I'll be sure to ask Cal about the ice diving trip. I've hear that he invested a lot of $ in the equipment to make these types of trip happen.

Yes, I'm an instructor at the shop. Sorry if my post sounded like a commercial... Just wanted to let people be aware of another ice trip. Personaly, I'd prefer this ice trip though because I do love wrecks, and this is a wreck dive as well. :D

I'm trying to manage my work schedule right now to go on the ice trip this year. I'll probably be there myself.

And yes, Cal is completely self sufficient with the ice gear, lines, tents, stoves, etc... needed. And yea, it cost probably him a little bit...

ah, ok. I've probably seen you at the shop. You guys have any set dates yet? I've heard of the dive and of the wreck, sounds like a good location. What's the cost of the trip and can Cal or you work with the club on getting us a group rate. I am not sure that the money talk is premitted here, so you can probably send me a priavate message in this regard.

Thanks,
-Vadim

You'd have to take any $ discussions up with Cal, although I'm pretty sure that the trip price is on the shops website.

We could have met before.. it's a small world. Look at the ice pictures on the wall at the shop tonight to see a colder version of me :wink: ...

you're right I'd definatelly need to clarify prices with Cal. form the Website, it looks like it's almost twice as much as Mad Dog Exp., and Mad Dog's reputation is hard to beat! ..unless it includes the lodgning?

I'll speak to Cal, but if you have some "lead ways" with him feel free to mention the Scubaboard and WV Club folks that may potentionally book his whole trip for the club dive. I am sure we can come to an agreement of some sort. Let's touch base on that later.

Spoke to Cal very briefly today... the shop was full of people and I thought he was teaching a class or something... so I didn’t want to intrude on anything and promptly vacated the premises with my new SS BP (still waiting on my harness).

He said it includes the lodging, which softens the blow of the price, which is still, I thought, is a bit high, considering the lodging is probably based on more than 2 people in the room? (Just speculating here) I didn't go into details.. Who knows, may be he also included the transportation too... I am just purely speculating at this point, but I think I am leaning towards Mad Dog at their sticker of $350 (and a choice of lodging, transportation, etc..) vs. $650. We need to compare apples to apples here, and it just wasn't enough information provided to me at this point.

Perhaps you, JetBlast, can find out the details and let us know?
I am having hard time communicating with Cal via email as it seems he never really reads my entire messages and his replies are usually a one line reply. Not sure if it's me or him.

650?? that IS a little steep. yeah the Hoboken trip to Winnapasaukee is also in the 350 range (lodging, transport incl).
I was also thinking of going up to Canada (Montreal area) to try it out as they freeze earlier.... would anyone be interested????
I do know a great shop up there and they start ice diving in jan.
(And sofi keeps pushing the canada idea with no takers.... :( )

For thoses of you who have never Ice dove before: You will probably have to make some equipment changes and also get your regs envirementally set-up. As for staying warm, the toughest thing I found was keeping my feet warm. Not only will you be diving, but tending lines and being service support and rescue divers. Depending on the size of the class, you could be standing on the ice cover for 6 hrs or more! Makes for some preety cold feet. Even having a tent with 2 propane heaters didn't help with the feet. Just a few thoughts to help you prepare........

Ice Diving? Are you guys crazy, I went today and dove waters at 50 degrees and was fine in my wetsuit, but I can see even a drysuit would make ice diving comfortable........Have fun though...

Sofie,
I would love to try Canada. Winter or Summer. I will probably be purchasing my drysuit after the new year.
Dan

Have you done the dry suit class yet???? Cause Rick is actually gonna be in the pool this Sunday with a class. We're doing the Dutch dives in January. Ya, when I get back I will look into Canada in the winter... perhaps a little ice diving before our big trip so I'm not a total newbie.
See you next week!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom