Ice diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am already dry suit certified. You handed me the card on Sunday. Did I forget something? What is next week?

You need a hood and gloves as well as drysuit undergarments, many layers of warm clothes, 2 pair of non-cotton thermal socks etc. It is actually more freezing to stand outside on the ice all day waiting to dive - the dives are only 15 mins each but only 2 divers go down at a time. Hoboken's trip is great- last year they rented a bus and all stayed at an ice diver-friendly lodge on upper Lake George. You can get Ice Diver certified with them (PADI) if you take one class and then do all 3 dives over the 2 day weekend for at least 15 mins each. It's about 4 hours drive from the city.

Here's an idea to help with the cold feet- We stood on a thick board which didn't conduct the cold and kept our feet off the ice when we could. I have no idea where the board came from but it worked!

Hey Jersey Girl!! Yup, there is a bus (and keg) this year as well. Except it will be to Winnapasaukee instead of Lake George. So far about 30 people have signed up... so many loonie folks around here I guess... hehe. I'm still debating going or not. Warm weather is calling my name though....

ScubaK-Dawg:
Does anyone know of any Dive shops/instructors that are planning to offer an ice diving course in the PA/NJ/NY area this winter (assuming it get's cold enough and the ice is thick enough)? Call me insane, but I'd like to try it. Also, what additional diving gear is required that is specific to ice diving? I already am diving in a drysuit, doubles, and high performance cold water regs, anything else ???

O'Donnel diving in Norristown has a great trip, we're going up on the 30th I think it is around $300.00 for two days of diving.

www.odonneldiving.com

he also is at Dutch about every other weekend, out on the peninsula with a big trailer, grill / hot food, hot tub, lots of equipment air etc. And he teaches anything you want whatever the class size anytime. Great setup.

No... I don't work for him.

ScubaK-Dawg:
Does anyone know of any Dive shops/instructors that are planning to offer an ice diving course in the PA/NJ/NY area this winter (assuming it get's cold enough and the ice is thick enough)? Call me insane, but I'd like to try it. Also, what additional diving gear is required that is specific to ice diving? I already am diving in a drysuit, doubles, and high performance cold water regs, anything else ???

The SCUBA Connection is doing an ICE Diving class the last weekend in Feb.. I Did a class with them a couple of years ago and it was very cool, no pun intended! Go to there website for details, they always keep it updated.
http://thescubaconnection.net

For people interested in ICE Diving I saw that The SCUBA Connection is running a trip the last weekend in Feb. they do one every year. I took the class a couple of years ago, it was great!! Just go to their website for details. www.thescubaconnection.net

Pan Aqua is offering a course in February. They have locations in CT and NY. Dives are in upstate NY.
nystore@panaqua.com
www.panaqua.com

Ice Diver Course
New York Location
Dates: 1/28 Dives in CT on 2/7 & 8

Hey guys, i'm finally on the board! The dates for The SCUBA Connection's course are Feb. 27,28,29. Class starts @ 6:00p.m. Dives are on Lake Champlain. See www.tscscuba for details!

RiverRat:
Pan Aqua is offering a course in February. They have locations in CT and NY. Dives are in upstate NY.
nystore@panaqua.com
www.panaqua.com

Ice Diver Course
New York Location
Dates: 1/28 Dives in CT on 2/7 & 8

Yep... I was there... well, actually I had no idea that Pan Aqua was "running" the show, since I was with Scuba New York, and I was under the impression that it was to be the Scuba New York thing running the show; but whatever... There were so many Pan Aqua's people that we (Scuba New York team) had to cut another ice-hole and do our thing. It was great though! I did my three dives and got certified! I actually can't wait to do the ice-diving dives again,.. and next time, I am bringing my camera!

Back
Top Bottom