Ice Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNScuba

Reaction score
Here I go again!

OK, I'm definately interested in trying Ice Diving (I live in MN, so it's about half the diving here!) Anyway, what's the general feeling as to whether or not the actual Ice Diving course is necessary? I am planning on doing my training through AOW, and probably the first aid/rescue course but probably any farther as it seems it's just a way to spend more money.

But, if it is highly recommended then I probably will take it.

I took the class. But I knew the instructors (there were two). They were both people I knew to be very knowledgeble, good instructors, and safety-minded, and had done a LOT of ice diving. That made all the difference.

is that if you are an individual that wants to learn ice diving and would be diving with strangers then the course would be a good idea. If you are a member of a club that is actively ice diving then I would think that you could let one of the members mentor you in that area.

In either case I would think that you would want to be comfortable with the person who was going to teach you.

There are some very important things you should know about ice diving. You may or may not get it all from a layperson. IMO, if you must ask if you need a class before doing it then you answered your own question.

Answered my own question? How do you figure?

I am asking because I've never done it. I really don't think I need a class, but I ask the question because perhaps someone who HAS done ice diving could explain why they would recommend it.

If all a class does is tell me to use a rope and that the water is cold, then no... I don't need a class. If there are specific procedures and safety concerns outside the normal realm, then I probably do need one.

From what I have heard, it's not THAT big of a deal... yes it can get cold and you don't do it alone and you always have a nice thick rope connecting you to the surface among other things that I can learn without a class.

I am not ice diving certified. I treat ice diving like an advanced wreck penetration -- with a lot of consideration. Do not take ice diving lightly. The cold water and single exit is not for the inexperienced or ill equiped divers. In PADI's ice course, they pretty much make it so you would have to have a really bad day not to live through just about anything -- which is good. I don't particulary care for all their techniques and whatever, but considering the type of divers they are letting take the class, I don't blame them for taking any precaution possible.

I'm not going to tell you to take the class or not, but if you don't, you'd best have your ducks in row because you will die if you don't. You can't sugar coat this stuff.

Mike

Murdock325,
Sorry didn't mean to rub you wrong. Let me rephrase. There are specific procedures for things like lost line procedures for the dive team and the safety divers, site preperation, line tending and signaling. They are not rocket science but you must be familiar with them. A class with a good instructor may be the most foolproof way of insuring that all the bases are covered. Note I didn't say the only way I said most reliable. IMO of course.

Ahhh, that's better! Sounds like the course might be worth it to a certain extent... I guess I have lots of time to think about it anyway.

Thanks for clarifying!

One more thought on this subject. Since you have not done this type of diving, you need to be aware of the support team needed. If you do not have experienced buddies in ice diving, taking a class will teach you all the necessary steps, team members and equipment needed. You may also have an opportunity to network for diver buddies and you see if they are competent for this type of diving. Just my $.02.

Down here I find that Ice diving is done better in a 160quart cooler than a 48qt cooler. You atleast have room for the tank in the 160. Like Ferra said Sight prep is important. If you forget to prop the lid open with a 2x4 the lid could close on you and you would be done for. So take the class a Dive shop and instructor needs the business not the mortuary.
Just like to put some humor in things sometime hope you dont mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom