Ice rescue call today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg D.

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know why it seems that when people get near water that the lights upstairs get turned off.

We were called out today at 1100 to respond to cascade boat launch for a ice rescue, OK we just trained there last weekend. I arrive on scene and they are just getting a boat in the water, the ice was real thin so we could break through with the boat.

Both our rigs are in the shop mainly cause they are old pieces of sh.... But the team leader had a couple of ice rescue suits with him just in case so we both suit up and off we go. We are in with the city in their boat, to small and the engine left much to be desired. Here is where we launched......

It was slow going in the ice and hindsight told us we should have went and got the hovercraft. also we should have launched from the Old state park cause it would have been quicker. Well actually thinking about it we should have done a shore rescue from the residence OR used our hover craft.

Along the way the ice got to thick to continue so we jumped ship and hitched a ride with a deputy to the scene, just about the time we got there we were informed that the county fire guys had managed to get the man out of the water.

The victim was trying to rescue his dog, the dog went under, he of course had no PFD or exposure protection, we unless you count the carharts that made him weigh so much the two rescuers barely got him to shore.

A rescue alive, or fortuna rdp, would have been a godsend in this thin ice situation.. I recommended that we buy one just last week. would have made a huge difference today.

I would also like to know how the commissioner feels about us not being able to use our gear because both rigs were in the shop. Had they not got this guy out and had we needed to make an underwater Ice rescue things could have got real ugly.

I'm not sure of the victims condition at this point I will post when I find out, he was still conscious at the time the tied onto him but was not by the time he got to shore.

I'm not feeling real great at the outcome of all this. And wish I could have done more to help this guy. I just hope this is a big wake up call for a few people.

Greg D.:
I don't know why it seems that when people get near water that the lights upstairs get turned off.

We were called out today at 1100 to respond to cascade boat launch for a ice rescue, OK we just trained there last weekend. I arrive on scene and they are just getting a boat in the water, the ice was real thin so we could break through with the boat.

Both our rigs are in the shop mainly cause they are old pieces of sh.... But the team leader had a couple of ice rescue suits with him just in case so we both suit up and off we go. We are in with the city in their boat, to small and the engine left much to be desired. Here is where we launched......

It was slow going in the ice and hindsight told us we should have went and got the hovercraft. also we should have launched from the Old state park cause it would have been quicker. Well actually thinking about it we should have done a shore rescue from the residence OR used our hover craft.

Along the way the ice got to thick to continue so we jumped ship and hitched a ride with a deputy to the scene, just about the time we got there we were informed that the county fire guys had managed to get the man out of the water.

The victim was trying to rescue his dog, the dog went under, he of course had no PFD or exposure protection, we unless you count the carharts that made him weigh so much the two rescuers barely got him to shore.

A rescue alive, or fortuna rdp, would have been a godsend in this thin ice situation.. I recommended that we buy one just last week. would have made a huge difference today.

I would also like to know how the commissioner feels about us not being able to use our gear because both rigs were in the shop. Had they not got this guy out and had we needed to make an underwater Ice rescue things could have got real ugly.

I'm not sure of the victims condition at this point I will post when I find out, he was still conscious at the time the tied onto him but was not by the time he got to shore.

I'm not feeling real great at the outcome of all this. And wish I could have done more to help this guy. I just hope this is a big wake up call for a few people.

Makes a Rescue Alive look real cheap (inexpensive) about now.

Good job.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Makes a Rescue Alive look real cheap (inexpensive) about now.

Good job.

Gary D.

Yes it does, I'd imagine we will be buying on of those or a fortuna in the next week or so.

Thanks for the support Gary, this is buging me, probably cause I haven't heard on how the guy did or is doing. There is other factors that I will not vent here that have my mind turning circles. I know that what we did was the best we could at the time, but I still wish we could have done more.

It may be no consolation, but you can never do better than your best. I know it's frustrating. However, if you can channel that frustration into positive change everybody benefits. Good Luck!

Greg D.:
Yes it does, I'd imagine we will be buying on of those or a fortuna in the next week or so.

Thanks for the support Gary, this is buging me, probably cause I haven't heard on how the guy did or is doing. There is other factors that I will not vent here that have my mind turning circles. I know that what we did was the best we could at the time, but I still wish we could have done more.
Knowing you I know you did all you could with what you had to give him a fighting chance.

As little as 20 years ago he most likely would have submerged and floated when things warmed up. But this isn’t 20 years ago, it now. We have new techniques, better training, more knowledge and different thinking. And we do it much safer for everyone.

Who knows, 20 years from now a PSD may just have to open a fanny pack, slip on a harness, activate the mini jet pack, fly out to the victim and fly him back.

You may not ever forget this incident but you will grow stronger and learn from it.

If the guy dies it just may have been his time to go. But doing what you did may have given his family an extra few minutes to say good-by.

We don’t do this job for the victim’s we do it for the families. If they survive we did it for both. If they didn’t we put families at ease and give them closure. Either way it does a lot of good for a lot of people.

Go vent, debrief and talk it out. DO NOT KEEP IT INSIDE. You did a good job and you need to convince yourself that you did.

When I am done with a recovery I want to walk away from the scene as quietly as possible. No media, No brass, No bystanders and most of all No family.

I look at a body as a human form lacking personality. The personality is what that person is/was not the flesh and bone it’s in. Treat it with respect and dignity but mentally keep it as an object and your survival time will be a long long time. By me staying away from the families I can eliminate that personal aspect and go on to the next one.

I do grieve for everyone, that’s just human, but I try and shorten the process as much as possible and they are all different.

Good job

Gary D.

Well, no official word but I believe that the victim didn't make it. Frustrated is how I would describe myself at this point. I know I did all I could and that is also part of what bugs me, but rest assure I am not keeping it in Gary! no macho stuff with me :D

I have debriefed with the team leader about how I feel, he felt the same way. But like renpiarate stated hopefully some good will come of it. I am gonna get us some time in front of the county commissioner and pitch a fit. I am a salesman by trade and these guys need to be educated to the facts. The squeaky wheel get greased first, and boy can I squeak :D

Greg D.:
Well, no official word but I believe that the victim didn't make it. Frustrated is how I would describe myself at this point. I know I did all I could and that is also part of what bugs me, but rest assure I am not keeping it in Gary! no macho stuff with me :D

I have debriefed with the team leader about how I feel, he felt the same way. But like renpiarate stated hopefully some good will come of it. I am gonna get us some time in front of the county commissioner and pitch a fit. I am a salesman by trade and these guys need to be educated to the facts. The squeaky wheel get greased first, and boy can I squeak :D
Park a truckload of the products you sell out front during the meeting you might just get what you want. :D

You know which one it takes to get my support. :D

You know where the rehab station is over here. :D

Gary D

I need to visit that rehab station are you almost done with your 2weeks of training yet?

Greg D.:
I need to visit that rehab station are you almost done with your 2weeks of training yet?
Sunday I get back to my normal work week. Off Fri, Sat, Sun.

Good training all around. Some boring and some butt kicking but good.

Gary D.

I will be in Coeur d alene soon then! Sunday I have to take the wife skiing and the weekend following we have SAR training on Sat. maybe that sunday?

Back
Top Bottom