Ice rescue call today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg D.:
I will be in Coeur d alene soon then! Sunday I have to take the wife skiing and the weekend following we have SAR training on Sat. maybe that sunday?
The rehab center and the shop are closed on Sunday. Right now the diving sucks except for Pend Oreille Lake. Way to much rain and not much low snow.

Gary D.

well thats no fun, I do have a portable rehab kit :wink: but the dive shop being closed in a little more tough to handle :D I might just have to take a Friday off then!

Here is the report from the paper....

Man dies after fall through ice
Posted: Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 - 03:57 pm PST

MOSES LAKE -- A Moses Lake man died Monday, after attempting to rescue a dog which had wandered onto unstable ice behind a residence on Valley Road.

Mike McCurry, 39, reportedly fell through the ice after traveling more than 400 feet from shore to rescue the dog, according to the Grant County Sheriff's Office. He was recovered by two Moses Lake Fire Department firefighters, but later died at Central Washington Hospital in Wenatchee after efforts to revive him failed.

The sheriff's office said McCurry had been helping to remodel a house on the 1700 block of Valley Road. He grabbed a piece of plywood to spread his weight as he traveled onto the ice to recover the dog just before 11 a.m. The dog drowned, but McCurry was reportedly able to hold onto the plywood and was breathing and conscious when rescuers reached him.

Chief Deputy John Turley said frozen and frigid waters made attempts to reel in McCurry and his rescuers slow and exhaustive. The two firefighters eventually were able to make it back to shore and transport McCurry to Samaritan Hospital; he was later flown to Central Washington Hospital.

McCurry and his family had recently moved to Moses Lake from the Bremerton area.

Representatives from the sheriff's office, fire department and Grant County Fire District No. 5 all responded to the incident, and are encouraging people not to travel on to the ice on Moses Lake for any reason.

-- Staff report

So sad. My heart goes out to the family.

When I was 10 I lost a dog the same way. Me and my dog (small pekignese) were walking around a pond on the family farm. The dog runs out on the pond which was covered in a thin sheet of ice. She immediately fell through and I just stood on the shore not knowing what to do. I knew I couldn't get in the water. I ran home but by the time I got back with a family member she was under the water.

Greg D.:
Here is the report from the paper....

Man dies after fall through ice
Posted: Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 - 03:57 pm PST

MOSES LAKE -- A Moses Lake man died Monday, after attempting to rescue a dog which had wandered onto unstable ice behind a residence on Valley Road.

Mike McCurry, 39, reportedly fell through the ice after traveling more than 400 feet from shore to rescue the dog, according to the Grant County Sheriff's Office. He was recovered by two Moses Lake Fire Department firefighters, but later died at Central Washington Hospital in Wenatchee after efforts to revive him failed.

The sheriff's office said McCurry had been helping to remodel a house on the 1700 block of Valley Road. He grabbed a piece of plywood to spread his weight as he traveled onto the ice to recover the dog just before 11 a.m. The dog drowned, but McCurry was reportedly able to hold onto the plywood and was breathing and conscious when rescuers reached him.

Chief Deputy John Turley said frozen and frigid waters made attempts to reel in McCurry and his rescuers slow and exhaustive. The two firefighters eventually were able to make it back to shore and transport McCurry to Samaritan Hospital; he was later flown to Central Washington Hospital.

McCurry and his family had recently moved to Moses Lake from the Bremerton area.

Representatives from the sheriff's office, fire department and Grant County Fire District No. 5 all responded to the incident, and are encouraging people not to travel on to the ice on Moses Lake for any reason.

-- Staff report
This is one of the reasons we respond to animals through the ice. It is better for us to do a pet recovery than have to go after one or more human family menbers.

Gary D.

Well after the warm weather I dont know how much Ice we are gonna have left, But I think that we are gonna go do some Ice rescue training with our hovercraft. Which will be fun.

Greg D.:
Well after the warm weather I dont know how much Ice we are gonna have left, But I think that we are gonna go do some Ice rescue training with our hovercraft. Which will be fun.
We had one for years. They are a ball to play with but not a very good rescue tool on or around ice.

But go have some fun with it. I wish we still had ours.

Gary D.

Here is an article that was published in the Tri city Herald, about the incident...

MOSES LAKE -- From Darrin Hittinger's living room window he can see the icy waters of Moses Lake where his best friend drowned three days ago.

So he's been keeping the shades closed.

"It was too deep for him, his head was just sticking out," Hittinger said. "You feel helpless just standing there."

Mike McCurry, 39, of Moses Lake, fell through the ice about 11 a.m. Monday trying to save a dog. Hittinger was on the cell phone with his friend seconds before he hung up and went onto the ice. He arrived at the lake about 10 minutes later.

The dog had wandered too far out onto the frozen lake and was drowning. The lake had about 4 inches of ice that thinned out toward deeper water.

McCurry made it more than 100 yards out using a piece of plywood to distribute his weight, Hittinger said. But McCurry wasn't able to rescue the dog and it died.

Rescue crews and divers also got into trouble when they tried to save McCurry.

Two firefighters in wetsuits lashed with ropes fell through the ice as they struggled to get McCurry out.

McCurry's wife Teri, 44, said she made it to the lake about a half-hour after he had fallen in.

"He saw me," she said. "He waved at me to let me know he was all right."

Teri said the rescuers were ill-prepared to save her husband.

A rescue boat was hemmed in by ice, a hover craft wasn't sent and cold-water rescue divers made it to the scene after McCurry already was out of the water.

But John Turley, chief criminal deputy of Grant County Sheriff's Office, said they did all they could.

"We are very lucky that we didn't lose more people that day," he said.

Turley said cold water rescues are successful when people are reached right away. It took rescuers a while to get to the accident site because they had to drive around the lake to reach him.

The deputy warned people to stay off the ice.

"This did not have not to happen. He was begged by the (dog's owner) not to go out on the ice. He took his own fate into his own hands. As fate would have it, he lost his life," Turley said.

McCurry spent nearly an hour in the 35-degree water, friend Hittinger said.

"When he came out of the lake, he wasn't dead but he wasn't alive," he said.

McCurry died about 5 p.m. at Central Washington Hospital in Wenatchee from hypothermia and drowning, said Wayne Harris, the Chelan County coroner.

The father of two was taken to Samaritan Health Care in Moses Lake, then flown to Wenatchee where doctors tried to warm him up slowly. McCurry's heart did restart, but his lungs were too damaged from the water, Hittinger said.

McCurry had retired recently from the Navy after serving 20 years. The family had moved from Bremerton to Moses Lake in July to be near friends, work and better hunting.

Hittinger owns a construction company and McCurry worked for him. The two men were building a kitchen addition at the lakefront home where McCurry was trying to rescue the dog.

"He didn't want the homeowner to lose another dog," Hittinger said. "That's just the kind of person he was, he would try to save anything."

A few months ago, a concrete truck had accidentally killed one of the homeowner's dogs.

McCurry often helped people stranded on the side of the road and once untangled a horse from a mess of fence and, his wife said.

"It's senseless to lose him over a dog, but that was just who he was," Teri said.

McCurry leaves behind his family without life insurance.

Teri works as a title clerk for Discovery Ford in Moses Lake and said she isn't sure she can afford to keep their home. The couple's two children are Ryan Duffer, 18, and Jennifer Duffer, 15.

Teri said she met her husband country dancing. He was a skinny, strong and bowlegged bull rider who loved to hunt, fish and golf.

"He can make anyone laugh," Hittinger said.

Hittinger's wife Kim and Teri have been friends for about 25 years and their children grew up together.

"Me and his wife went and picked up his casket yesterday, which was a hard thing," he said. "It shouldn't have happened

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom