"ICE" your cell phone - Worth reading...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess it'd be of more benefit to the ER staff, but with opposition seemingly so common, may well not work.

Guess I need I.C.E. info in my wallet, already bulging with all those cards. :icosm12:

DandyDon:
I guess it'd be of more benefit to the ER staff, but with opposition seemingly so common, may well not work.

Guess I need I.C.E. info in my wallet, already bulging with all those cards. :icosm12:

It's not that there's opposition to it, it's just that we don't have time to look for it when somebody is in critical condition. Our first priority is saving the life, and it often takes all the hands we have as well as our undivided attention. You don't want us looking for a phone instead of using everything we have to stablize the situation. As I said, it won't hurt anything, just don't rely on it.

There is, however, a similar project that I have seen locally called C.H.A.D. (and I can't remember what it stands for), that is a call to parents to identify their child's car seat with emergency contact information and the child's information. I believe the acronym came from a child named Chad who was the only survivor due to his car seat in a tragic car accident. His treatment was delayed because he was too young to tell the hospital staff who to contact for treatment authorization.

So, if you have kids, be sure to put identifying information on their car seat. (It can be as simple as a label under the padding.)

The contact information of CHAD is helpful, though I've never heard of the program. Any time we information is available so the hospital can call the parents is a good thing. But as an FYI, if a child is critical EMS or the hospital does not need parental permission to treat the child. It's done under "implied consent," meaning that any reasonable parent would want this done for their child if they were there to make the decision. I find it hard to believe that a hospital would delay life saving care for someone who needs it because they can't contact a parent. It's a double edge sword I suppose. If you treat and the family didn't want it, they go after you. If you don't treat and wait and the child has a negative outcome, they go after you. No wonder why malpractice insurance costs so much and adds to the overall cost of healthcare...
On the other hand if something happens at school and the child is transported and it's not a life threat, than the hospital has to wait for parental consent. But anything lifesaving may be done w/o consent.
Shane

ehfireems:
The contact information of CHAD is helpful, though I've never heard of the program. Any time we information is available so the hospital can call the parents is a good thing. But as an FYI, if a child is critical EMS or the hospital does not need parental permission to treat the child. It's done under "implied consent," meaning that any reasonable parent would want this done for their child if they were there to make the decision. I find it hard to believe that a hospital would delay life saving care for someone who needs it because they can't contact a parent. It's a double edge sword I suppose. If you treat and the family didn't want it, they go after you. If you don't treat and wait and the child has a negative outcome, they go after you. No wonder why malpractice insurance costs so much and adds to the overall cost of healthcare...
On the other hand if something happens at school and the child is transported and it's not a life threat, than the hospital has to wait for parental consent. But anything lifesaving may be done w/o consent.
Shane

I was interested in what you said *Implied consent*. If someone contacted a person via the cell phone ICE method would Implied consent also come into play and therefore circumnavigating hippa?

or you could just get a DAN tag... and insurance while you're at it...

I got an e-mail yesterday saying that this is a hoax. Take it for what you will...

ScubaTexan:
I got an e-mail yesterday saying that this is a hoax. Take it for what you will...
There are ICE computer virus hoax emails going around. Only Ice hoax I found

cdiver2:
mstudley:
or you could just get a DAN tag... and insurance while you're at it...QUOTE]

No matter what you use "is it implied consent"

you aren't circumventing HIPPA. Implied consent is there for adults who physically cannot give consent (ie. are unconscious, mentally impaired, etc) or for minors when parents/guardians cannot be contacted or delay of treatment would result in loss of life. This differs from informed consent which is voluntary.

Unless you are wearing something that states not to treat you (ie. a DNR band) and they fish you out of the sea, you are going to be treated (of course taking local protocol into account). The DAN tag will just help them in the information gathering process.

Either way, how does this violate patients privacy? By the way, for information on what HIPPA actually is/does, look here: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom