Icon HD review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seano- how were the maps? Accurate? Details? True to life?

Thanks
Dennis

the maps are a cool feature. what i've done is scanned all of my paper or hand drawn maps into the the right format and then transferred them all onto my icon. It makes it very easy to lead underwater dives with customers.

Why would a dive computer that advertises itself as HD have a display that looks like something out of a 1980 Atari 400? Where are the 3-D look and feel? Is this even HD resolution?

Do they have air integration where I can tell it to start monitoring a sensor from a certain tank? If I am carrying 20 tanks, and air integration is only for 1 tank, then their mixed gas and air integration capability falls short.

The display is the forte of this computer. While not high def by computer standards, compared to dot-matrix black LCD dive computers this display is much higher resolution.

As far as monitoring different tanks my understanding is that you get up to three pressure modules and switch to monitor one of the three. If you're carrying 20 tanks you're beyond the capability of rec computers. Are there other AI computers that allow switching among 20 tanks?

The display is the forte of this computer. While not high def by computer standards, compared to dot-matrix black LCD dive computers this display is much higher resolution.

As far as monitoring different tanks my understanding is that you get up to three pressure modules and switch to monitor one of the three. If you're carrying 20 tanks you're beyond the capability of rec computers. Are there other AI computers that allow switching among 20 tanks?
What I am saying is that they got this lighted color high resolution screen, and all they do with it is make these really blockly and squarish views. They could have given the compass a 3D gauge look, the deco depth in color gradiant getting darker toward the bottom to signify it inidicate depth. The depth dial could have looked like a real dial, etc. I know other modes has fancier graphics like map or graph mode, but one is rarely in those modes. It might make it more useful, or it might just be esthetics. I know when I use my computer and it goes into some weird mode that I rarely encountered, I would get confused since I have rarely or never seen it. I guess a similar situation with this computer is the missed deco mode where one doesn't know if they should go back down, deco at this level or continue up, something more descriptive would probably be good.

Even with its ability to switch between 3 pressure modules, you are pretty limited on the kind of deco dives.

That is mutch to often! Specialy when the charge connector is that bad.
Is it changed already?
There's now also an air integrated one, anyone experiance?

I have upgraded my Icon for the replacement with trasnmitter and it works perfectly. Pairing was instant and it gives clear indication of air pressure in cylinder and current air consumption.
I had a problem initially when after my 3rd dive the Icon warned me of low battery in the transmitter. This was due to the transmitter having been packed in the same case as the new Icon HD replacement talking to each other. Mares sent me a new battery FOC.
At the end of a dive the computer will tell you the starting pressure, air used and final pressure. Also average air consumption.
An excellent product and well designed.
With regards to charging clip, I have had no problems.:)

I just recently purchased the Icon HD Net Ready. The transmitter stopped working after about 4 dives. The computer continued to function but I wasn't getting any air pressure reading. I didn't get a low transmitter battery warning, but I replaced the battery on the hope that was the problem and sure enough, my air pressure readings came right back. I also found the compass was right on the money (although I still don't trust it because it's digital.)

I just recently purchased the Icon HD Net Ready. The transmitter stopped working after about 4 dives. The computer continued to function but I wasn't getting any air pressure reading. I didn't get a low transmitter battery warning, but I replaced the battery on the hope that was the problem and sure enough, my air pressure readings came right back. I also found the compass was right on the money (although I still don't trust it because it's digital.)

Sounds similar to the problem reported by Kink123 and one other, that when the wrist unit and transmitter are packed closely it can activate the transmitter and run down the battery.

Adam

Anybody has experiences with the new Icon HD net and MAC Software/Divers Diary? Trying to download from the website only gives a meaningless text file (RTF) with 10 lines at the size around 5,6 mb. The old version for the old Icon don't seem to work. The new software works for PC but it is cumbersome to ask somebody else to keep my dives on hes computer.
As others have noted; to get connection you have to position the four connectors very precise. It would have been better to make the computer with some kind of sliding guide

I have a Mares Icon computer and I'm about to change from single tank to twin tank. Will the computer still work with twins?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom