ID Help, Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rainmaker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This photo was taken mid-morning in Nov. 2008 about a half-mile off the west coast of Jamaica near Negril, depth was about 50 feet.

Attachments

• 176.jpg
    176.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 75
Creole wrasse?

I think you are right. I just looked up the species in Paul Humann's "Reef Fish Identification" book and it states that the snout is usually dark purple (all of them in the photo have purple snouts), and the older ones can have some yellow to reddish areas on the lower rear body. Also, the shape of the tail is right.

Thanks!

it states that the snout is usually dark purple (all of them in the photo have purple snouts), and the older ones can have some yellow to reddish areas on the lower rear body.
The colour variations on these things confuse a lot of people. I have a real hard time teaching new reef fish students how to ID them. The fact that they don't stay put very well also makes for poor ID's.

I've always wanted to see an adult school of these in an aquarium. I'm sure someplace must have this...

They are Creole Wrasse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom