identify Bauer compressor and help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdupreez

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I was wondering if you guys can provide me some comments.. (also posted on decostop, but not much help in identification yet)

I can obtain this compressor for about $2000 and the owner claims it was rebuilt in 2008 and ran fine in september 2009 when it came out of service.. its not connected, so I cant test it.. there's no 3 phase power on site.

here are some pics, so ANY help on identification or comments on the unit or ideas to figure out if its worthwhile buying, would be greatly appreciated.

bauerpic1.jpg

bauerpic2.jpg

bauerpic3.jpg

:)

I bought a used Bauer Jr 2 for $2500. Yours looks like a bigger model so if it's really working, it sounds like a good deal.
However, if it's NOT working, it could cost you a lot of money to GET it working. My Jr 2 was shipped here from a Caribbean dealer and didn't pump air. It cost me another $1000 to get it working.
Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't buy it untested. Maybe you can hook up a gasoline engine to it?

Mariner block.

If it was rebuilt that recently, seller ought to have receipts. Not that they would necessarily prove anything, but better than nothing if you have to buy it without running it.

If that is a 1991 block, the final safety and the filter housing top look newer than a 91 model, I am quite sure. The PMV valve on the right lower side of the filter housing is also not as old as 1991. I guess owner changed the entire filter housing for safety sake.

Good luck on your purchase....

IYA

Everything checked out, the oil was super clean.. no leaks, I could spin the flywheel and feel compression every few spins.. checked down the Oil dip-stick tube during spinning it and zero bubbles..

So I purchased the compressor for a Final price of $1,750 :)

THANK YOU to everyone on this thread for all the suggestions..

Now for single phase converstion.. The current motor is actually a 3 phase 16 Amp 5 HP motor running at 3515 RPM.. I saw a new Leeson Single Phase 22 Amp 5 HP motor running at 3510 on Ebay.. for $250

Granted the amps will be more on Single phase, but from the looks of this motor configuration, I might not even have to change the pulley system at all! I could just drop in the 5 hp Leeson that pretty much has the same RPM's

Does anyone know what the compressor's RPM requirements are and how to calculate that based on Pulley sizes??

Thanks!

Driven speed (1300) divided by the driver speed (3510) x the compressor pulley size (for Bauer Mariner and Capitano, 17.75") = driver pulley size. However, that is based on using a 7.5 hp motor for the Mariner, if you go to 5 hp, you will need to drop the compressor speed to 1100, otherwise the motor will draw more than it's FLA, including any "service factor amperage". Don't forget the other items that will need to change.

Craig

hmm..the math on this current motor and compressor doesnt make complete sense..

The Motor Speed = 3515
Motor Pulley = 7"
Compressor Pulley = 17.75"

Compressor Speed = Motor Speed x (Motor Pulley / Compressor Pulley)
= 3515 x ( 7 / 17.75) = 1386 RPM ???

thats close to 1400 RPM on the compressor? i guess its ok?

Last edited:
Getting an exact match may not be possible. I tend to err on the side of slower vs faster, unless it falls within the SF amp draw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom