If I should die while diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You appear to live in this strange fantasy world where there are authorities responsible for digging down to the bottom of every scuba diving fatality,

or the bottom of anything else. yea, fantasy world, I don't understand it.
Don't let the establishment ever have your mind or your right to speak your thoughts, or HAVE thoughts. Once people think they are not entitled to speculate...we are in some major trouble when it comes to trying to stay alive.

lamont:
You appear to live in this strange fantasy world where there are authorities responsible for digging down to the bottom of every scuba diving fatality, interviewing all the participants, going over the equipment and writing up a dispassionate and accurate analysis....

Wow Lamont I think your a little too close to this thread my friend.

My desire for better analysis is just that, wouldn't it be great if that were possible. I certainly understand that the scuba investigation unit doesn't exist for the most part. There are a few diving accidents that are actually investigated -yes I know most are not - but that wasn't the point.

I would like to assume that you have read some off the cuff posts and wondered how those posts could have been made. Maybe that has happened maybe not - I can't read your mind..I know I have wondered that more than a few times.

I could elaborate on a few examples but it isn't worth it.

Cheers

Steve

catherine96821:
or the bottom of anything else. yea, fantasy world, I don't understand it.
Don't let the establishment ever have your mind or your right to speak your thoughts, or HAVE thoughts. Once people think they are not entitled to speculate...we are in some major trouble when it comes to trying to stay alive.

Catherine and Lamont

Did you not read this part of my post

"I thank Uncle Pug again for the thread and if I go while diving then I would have gone doing something I really enjoyed. But rest assured that if it happens to me while diving, I did not go quietly..you may not hear me scream at 200 feet but you heard me struggling to survive. And if I failed to survive, I will say it right now that it would mean that I did something wrong. Thats my belief and anyone here can feel free to discuss it anyway they want. Even the Monday morning QB's"

Especially the last couple of sentences where I said everyone could discuss my demise should it happen when diving....???

or maybe you missed this sentence as well

But even with speculation there is education

DandyDon:
Sleepdiver, I appreciate you feelings, even tho I'm more in line with Catherine's thinking - if you have any further comments, would you start a thread on Support?
Seemed like a good idea at the time...?

And if I failed to survive, I will say it right now that it would mean that I did something wrong

Does it?

hey, I totally respect your opinion..

explain this though

catherine96821:
It IS the right of a free citizen to speculate and formulate theories, and frankly anyone who does not have this degree of intellectual curiosity, probably should find a different hobby.
You are so right. It is a free country and anyone can think or say what they want (short of inciting a riot). The point I am making is that uninformed speculation is just that - uninformed. It is not something to learn from. But as you say it is inherent in people to speculate and they have a right to do it. On this board, too often, speculation turns into uninformed judgment by well-intended people wanting to produce "lessons". I simply think the excercise useless and with potential for harm. But, like gossip, if people want to do it, it is ok. Just call it what it is - speculation and don't try and learn a lesson from speculation (or, I should say, I won't).

The other problem with speculation is that it ripples out beyond the dive community into the public and family. When the family members see this gossipy speculation (and it is all over this board - often by divers with no experience - but this is rightfully a "democratic" board), it just fosters doubt with family and friends, perhaps about the divers involved - even though it is totally groundless. These people do get referred to this board and read it whether we think about it or not.

So, anyway, say what we want - this is America. But ethically, think about what you are saying in terms of its merit and in a context beyond the dive community and how family or friends will take it if they read it. If it is just speculation, call it that.

As an aside, and not to be insulting by any means, I find this notion of "If I should die..." just incredibly naive. But as I said, it is a free country and that is my opinion.

That said, I'll leave this thread. I can appreciate that it has gone in a direction not intended.

Best wishes.

The point I am making is that uninformed speculation is just that - uninformed. It is not something to learn from.

I am not rying to beat a dead horse, but I think I learn from speculation almost everyday.

lets say somebody comes up with a theory about a long flight and a possible/likely/doesn't even matter, idea that the victim could have thrown a PE...well if that makes me think about walking a bit more on the flight, drinking a lot of water, avoiding alcohol if I plan to dive when we land...then that is a good thing, right? Even if it was something else and we will never know.

Anything that makes people think and be motivated to put their heads together can be useful.

But....many many many people agree with you. I wonder though if it because it feels disrespectful to the victims, to be "throwing the circumstances around"

catherine96821:
Does it?

hey, I totally respect your opinion..

explain this though

Partially a concept of being ones own worst critic

I dive as redundant a kit as anyone. I service my own equipment as I am just not that trusting of a person when it comes to things my life depends on. I blend my own gas - only when diving remote locations do I rent tanks or allow someone else to blend the gas - and of course I analyze that gas with MY 02 sensor.

So yes; my belief is that should I end up not surviving a dive; that it would be something that I did wrong. I do not envision some foreseeable problem that I did not have some decision in.

Cheers

Steve

sleepdiver:
The other problem with speculation is that it ripples out beyond the dive community into the public and family. When the family members see this gossipy speculation (and it is all over this board - often by divers with no experience - but this is rightfully a "democratic" board), it just fosters doubt with family and friends, perhaps about the divers involved - even though it is totally groundless. These people do get referred to this board and read it whether we think about it or not.

Maybe you should visit the same forum over on the decostop and then come back here for another read.

Do you have a will? Do you have any documents that you have left for your loved ones in case something ever happens to you? Posting something here in advance is no different from that. It's an expression of one's wishes.

-s

Gilless:
Maybe you should visit the same forum over on the decostop and then come back here for another read.

Do you have a will? Do you have any documents that you have left for your loved ones in case something ever happens to you? Posting something here in advance is no different from that. It's an expression of one's wishes.

-s
Went to the Decostop once, didn't care for their initiations.

My will wouldn't be executed for a while after my death, but my written instructions on my preferences in case of my diving death are both a matter of record here and at my daughter's home: Talk it up as suggested in the OP.

Hehe, I can imagine some of the posts that some would make here about my demise. "The way Don dived, it was overdue."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom