If I should die while diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I posted this, along with my own personal additions, here: http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/ccv/vpost?id=1607919

This is on the message board of my favorite placed to dive.

This post by Uncle Pug is a well thought out, and very well said post. Being so p.c. that others cannot learn from things like this is way too common these days. I think that is a shame. There are times when things cannot be said because of legal problems. I addressed that also.

Later, Hawk.

with apologies to John Prine

Woke up this morning, put on my flippers
Stepped off the dive boat and died
And oh, what a feelin’ when I hit that deco ceilin’
And my entrance into heaven was denied

When I got there they did say, Bob it happened this old way
You task-loaded and didn’t use your head
And all the angels said when you grabbed your deco reg
You should’a grabbed the other one instead

So please don’t bury me down in that cold, cold ground
I’d rather be dropped overboard and let the current take me down
Just send me on that final dive, and leave me down below
Talk about my death on the internet if folks really wanna know

Well give my tanks to the hoovers, cuz they really need the air
Give my wings to the angels, they can use another pair
Give my drysuit to a passing seal, it’ll fit ‘em anyway
Hang my regs on wooden pegs and throw my mask away

But please don’t bury me down in that cold, cold ground
I'd rather be dropped overboard and let the current take me down
Just send me on that final dive, and leave me down below
Talk about my death on the internet if folks really wanna know

:eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If I die diving...it's probably because my husband was too busy doing something else and forgot he has a BUDDY.....sorry, still venting.

If I die, I hope the officials find that none of my equipment was the contributing factor to my death and that I was in good health which will give them a mystery as to why a diver who had everything perfect just died.

This is my first post here, I had to post on this one, thank you UP.
Its 3 in the morning and I am writing my little death note on the conditions :) I have written letters but never even thought about writing off "in case this was to happen" I am 21 and a bit fool hardy, anyways thanks for having me here in the board I plan on learning as much as I can from everyone here and hopefully bringing something to the table as well.
Thank you everyone for the many ideas to the addendums as well as personal experiences.
have a good one

I shall add my feelings here, should the inevitable come to pass and those who know me bother to check...

If I should die while diving, know that I died doing something I loved.

Should it come to pass in such a way, better in a sea than in an office,
Better that I should die from failure or mistake than sleep or fatigue.

Leave my dive buddy alone, for they suffered worse than I.

For my body, let it rest at sea where it was at peace in life.

As for my soul, never in life did it know happiness more so than at sea,
let that comfort those who care and give forgiveness to those who were there.

To my wife, I hope only that you survive me and find another diver of better skill and looks, for you should not be lonely and diving with a buddy is best.

To my friends, may you learn from my mistakes and make less of your own.

To my family, know that I lived as I would have it, and died as I wished. Find peace and comfort in the knowledge that my wishes have been fulfilled.

My final wishes, as they may be, are that no one turns my passing into a spectacle. The activity and environment I loved did not take me, I chose my own fate. If you ever doubt this notion, find a photo of me while diving and see the joy in my face - it is undeniable and incomparable.

Should anything happen to me while diving, this my message to those that care to read it. It may not be as eloquent as some, but it will have to do.

I have read your message several times over the years but never felt like replying but I do now. Your message is well intended but it is a little naive (please take no offense - I just do not know another word) in describing a terrible episode both in the life and death of the diver and and the surviving family and friends of the diver. My very best friend died last September while diving. I was on the boat when his buddy returned to say he was dead on the wreck. Another diver had to go and get him and we had to take him into port. I got a bitter lesson there. Notifying the family is not like it is done on TV. The police offered me a ride to go and tell his wife he was dead - they don't want to do it and it is more compassionate if a friend does. Hearing the wail and seeing his wife wither and crumble in front of my eyes is something burned into my memory even now. We buried him that week. There is not a day that I have not thought about the pain that woman suffered. For me, her interest is first and foremost. My friend is dead and I do not think rummaging around into the accident will benefit anyone enough to justify the hurt it will cause to so many. This is not something to save for the funeral. No one should say that unless they have been to one. I may not know what the diver thinks or wants at death (none of us really do) but from being this close to a diver's death, I do not think any of us should be giving instructions on how others should behave. You are dead and it is for the survivors to find their way without you. I have come to say that only the diver and God really know what happened and neither is talking to us.

Good points, sleepdiver - and I am sorry for the loss of your friend. I'm sure the scene you endured was as bad as you described, and my condolences to you too for additionally going thru that even after the shock of the accident.

My message to my daughter was a personal one, for her to share with my other family members in case of accident. In the end, tho - it would be but a suggestion. We're a stoic lot, and my brother would be fine with it - don't know about the rest...?

Uncle Pug:
I received this email from my daughter recently:

I love you. I read your post online. I didn't check when you wrote it but it was interesting. Almost poetic….

I had posted *If I should die while diving* on another board several years ago and my daughter found it while Googling my name. My wife though I should post it here on Scuba Board as well.

"If you find me feeding dasies please turn me face up to the sky
and leave me be watchin the moon role by
whatever I was you know it was all because
Ive been on the town washin the bull sh-----t down." "Gordon Lightfoot"

Back
Top Bottom