If I should die while diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but in the scuba community I want the incident discussed.

Just not by the "experts" on SB. If the incident is posted here, I want the posting to be the facts as determined by local qualified authorities and acknowledged by DAN. If that’s not possible, than there’s no value on letting this forums' “experts” speculate!!! From what I’ve read on here, particularly as it relates to accidents, it's either irrelevant of misinformed. In either case, of no value!!

UP - a very well put together post. Humbling.

I work in diving and as time has moved on I have become aware that I could indeed die whilst doing my job, probably trying to help someone and not getting the balance right between when to intervene and when to let go. I also do a lot of personal diving and you just never know. My mistakes are mine alone.

I'd rather die in bed. Having sex preferably. Death via Scuba would quite frankly SUCK.

I'd rather die in bed. Having sex preferably. Death via Scuba would quite frankly SUCK.
Hope you get your choice...

If I should die underwater, you can blame the sea,it was manslaughter

If I should die while on a dive,I won't care I'm not alive

No. The objective is to keep others from unnecessarily dying the same old way. Over and over again. And when once in a while something new comes along, that's a bonus.

Quote:
I've read a lot of incident reports/discussions and will continue to do so. I don't expect to learn anything more than I already have. What I take away is a reminder of what will happen if I break the rules. I'm reminded that it can happen on any dive, under any condition, with or without a buddy, with a chamber near or far, on a reef or off a bar.....
Not expecting to learn something new is alright, as long as you remain receptive to learning something new. I suppose that's part of the reason you continue reading these discussions. Reminders will always prove more useful for some than for others, given the reality of ever present risk of accident in life.

To do something the exact same way every time and expect different results is the definition of insanity.

The reasoning behind analysing incidents is to find what went wrong. To learn why things happened the way they did, and to teach other to not make the same mistake. It is not to lay blame on who did what. The idea is to prevent others from falling onto the same set of circumstances and making the same fatal mistakes.

As one who writes the reports (Not diving related) this is very close to me. Yes there are rules and they are there for a reason. But a lot of times rules get bent or broken. It's at these times when things can go wrong. If not the first time then later on. If one gets away with it, then during subsequent actions that person gets braver. Until things go sideways. Then the response usually is; "I've done it this way a thousand times, and it's never happened before"

As an example an incident happened at one of the plants here. A worker was seriously injured, and during the investigation it was found that the worker had done this task approx. 31,000 times before the injury. This highlights what I just pointed out about how, it may not be the first time or the second but things will go wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom