If Not Here, Then Where? Basic vs Advanced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does that mean people who only go tech diving secretly, when away from home on business trips, so their spouses don't know? :rofl3:

:spit:

:rofl3:

I guess I have a problem with the view that seems to be being expressed where diving is a one dimensional continuum with the entry level course at one end and some form of tech diving training at the other. I think that view is an easy one to fall into if you are down the tech path and look back, 'cause like in a cave you may not see the other branches when you look back. I see special skills needed for overhead environments, but I find the whole tech thing to be some what over-rated in terms of what it takes. Face it, all diving is basically the same: breathe in, breathe out, control your depth and time, etc.

Personally, I see the Advanced Forum as a "bonus" for ScubaBoard. By going to the Advanced forum, you get feedback from many kinds of tech divers - not just the cave divers, not just the tech wreck divers, but a a fair, broad-based 'taste' of the . . . hmmm, 'advanced past nitrox, etc' crew.

If one goes into one of the technical diving forums, you tend to get a filtered version which directs you to one particular style. One could reach the same audience by posting the same question in each of the tech forums, but that tends to be met with bitterness and "why waste our time if you posted over there?"

After all, isn't that why T2T was formed? So those who were 'really' tech weren't bothered with basic questions?

:wavey:

After all, isn't that why T2T was formed? So those who were 'really' tech weren't bothered with basic questions?

No. That was a consideration, but not the driving factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom