If Not Here, Then Where? Basic vs Advanced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Jax: Yeah, I found that bug a few days ago. Apparently, the subscript hyperlink coding is wrong. The current code uses <sv> </sv> tags.
The correct subscript code is to use <sub> </sub> tags. If you insert the tags manually, it should work.

@Jax: Yeah, I found that bug a few days ago. Apparently, the subscript hyperlink coding is wrong. The current code uses <sv> </sv> tags.
The correct subscript code is to use <sub> </sub> tags. If you insert the tags manually, it should work.

:eek:fftopic:
Oh, yeah, I discovered it, too, but keep hitting the stupid button. :shakehead: But seriously, what IS the SV tag for? :headscratch:
:focus:

On the other hand, a well-thought-out idea, whether presented by a 10-dive newb or a 10k-old-fart is worthy of consideration . . .

True, VERY true, You're not a :idk: as you behaved earlier in your SB career.:D

I do take GOOD questions by my OW students VERY seriously and even try to use them in my training.

But the point Uncle Ricky made in the "Sticky" is, let this thread be for the "Advanced"divers, or the "advanced" questions.NOT the AOW questions, they belong in basic.
IMO the advanced diver forum, is the same as the DIR forum, but then with a "NO FLAME" sticker on it.

Reactions: Jax
True, VERY true, You're not a :idk: as you behaved earlier in your SB career.:D

:blush: Awww, he thinks I grew up! Thanks! :flowers:

:giggle: Boy, did I fool him!!!

You feel Advanced should be based on Rick's definition.

Uncle Ricky rules! :scorned:

Disclaimer: I am an Uncle Ricky fan.

Oh, yeah, I discovered it, too, but keep hitting the stupid button. :shakehead: But seriously, what IS the SV tag for? :headscratch:

SV is a type of video. There have been several threads on the topic, along with the fix.

www.scubaboard.com/forums/site-support/388410-bad-strikethrough-code.html

Lazy as the "old"days :shakehead:

But here ya go :headscratch:

Reactions: Jax
Some things are obvious... some less so. When a poster puts a specific thread in a specific forum, they do that for a reason. It might be ignorance, it might be they like the no flame rules of a particular forum. To each their own.

Pete, I think that Jax's initial point was that ignorance was the issue... in which case might Mods tighten up on the forums? As you've explained, there are reasons why we (mods) don't act unilaterally or immediately to shift posts; because we don't know if an OP has a particular strategy or reason for placing the post where it first appears.

Personally, I think that laziness is an issue also. It takes a few seconds to scroll through the forums list and identify the most suitable forum. It doesn't take a few seconds to slap a thread into the Basic or Advanced forums...

Where thread placement is deliberate/considered, the perspective of a diver often guides their choice.

The relative experience and qualification of a diver can determine that perspective. To an OW diver, nitrox and rescue seem 'advanced'. To a divemaster, the same topics might seem quite basic.

So might agency affilation. Some agencies have a definition/level for Advanced Diving, such as the BSAC 'Advanced Diver' qualification - which encompasses expeditionary dive planning, non-accelerated deco, wreck diving etc. Other agencies have a definition/level for 'Advanced Entry-Level', such as the PADI 'Advanced Open Water' qualification - which goes beyond the basic entry-level curriculum, but does not provide any proficiency in typically acknowledged 'higher-risk diving activities'.

Personally, I think a lot of posts that go into the Advanced forum might be better placed elsewhere. For instance, we could debate all day about whether AIRII, BP&W, Splits vs Paddles should be Basic or Advanced... or we could just guide members to put those discussions into the relevant Equipment Forum.

The use of 'green zones' to tailor the tone of debates is also an issue. Some members enjoy the cut-and-thrust of a lively (sometimes critical) debate. Others just want some good advice without getting embroiled in a multi-page arguement. It's absolutely fair that forums exist with more strict posting rules, to cater for those members who do not seek constructive criticism or wish to see their thread devolve into a POV clash. Again, personally, I don't see why the green zones have been necessarily aligned with New and Basic divers. I think that new members of the board might seek that protection, regardless of their level... as it were, 'a place to find your feet' as a forum member. Thus, some divers (of varied experience levels) do post more advanced topics into the Basic Scuba forum.

I think it would be relatively easy (at the expense of more Mod man-hours!) to institute a more precise forum posting policy. But that would lead to a much more heavily moderated forum. From what I see and read here, I don't envisage that many SB members would actually want a more heavily moderated forum though.... especially...and ironically.... not the OP who raised this issue in the first place. :wink:

Last edited:
Pete, I think that Jax's initial point was that ignorance was the issue... in which case might Mods tighten up on the forums? As you've explained, there are reasons why we (mods) don't act unilaterally or immediately to shift posts; because we don't know if an OP has a particular strategy or reason for placing the post where it first appears.
I agree with you on this. In at least two of the posts Jax referenced, the OP made reference to wanting more advanced opinions. Even if it is a topic that many of us consider basic, is it wrong for us to tell them they can't seek more advanced input?

From what I see and read here, I don't envisage that many SB members would actually want a more heavily moderated forum though.... especially...and ironically.... not the OP who raised this issue in the first place. :wink:
I agree.

Back
Top Bottom