If Not Here, Then Where? Basic vs Advanced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If not the Advanced Forum, where shall the advanced-curious divers go to make inquiries and get serious answers from those that have been-there, done-that?
There are already procedures in place that you can follow if you find a post that you feel belongs in a different forum- just report it. Mod's move threads all the time. We might also leave it where it is. Some are obvious, and some, as you have discovered, are not so easy to categorize. As you can imagine, if we start moving threads only based on what an individual member's interpretation of where the post should be, we'll spend all our time moving and splitting threads.

To use one of your examples- http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/389348-issue-emptying-your-bc.html the OP mentioned that he had seen the issue brought up in the basic forum often enough that he wanted to get opinions from more experienced divers. New and basic divers will probably not have the experience or the knowledge to discuss gear development (which was the point of the post). Whether it was an equipment solution to a (some consider basic) training problem is irrelevant, since that is not what the OP asked. Moving it to Basic would have just brought forth the same responses that previous posts on the subject had received.

You feel Advanced should be based on Rick's definition. Others feel it is anything above Open Water. This definition has been discussed at length and it is extremely hard to come to a consensus on but at the end of the day, most people follow threads based on the title and subject matter, not where it is placed.

Last edited:
No it's not.

Hence my reply, go diving and come back after a 1000. Advanced has NOTHING to do with a c-card.
It's all about the dives, different kinds,locations, conditions and the likes.
Everybody can pick up a book and do some training and collect a card.
Dir/tech and all others are not the holy grail, a lot of dives comes closer. As long as they are diverse.

I think one of you treats advanced as "experienced" and the other as being steps on the way to technical

No it's not.

Hence my reply, go diving and come back after a 1000. Advanced has NOTHING to do with a c-card.
Dir/tech and all others are not the holy grail, a lot of dives comes closer. As long as they are diverse.
So, how do you weight the qualification, 1000 dive or diversity of dives? Some folk don't have the travel budget but live close enough to diveable water they have well over 1000 dives. Is their experience insufficient for commentary?

So, how do you weight the qualification, 1000 dive or diversity of dives? Some folk don't have the travel budget but live close enough to diveable water they have well over 1000 dives. Is their experience insufficient for commentary?
No definatly not
As for the travelbudget, I'm not to big on that, but I did dive the Red Sea, Curacao.Bonaire,Bali and over 3500 back home.

But I tend to take the 1000+ diver more serious then the 100-199( or less) when they vent an opinion on diving/gear. (1000+ with diversity(gear and or conditions) I would even hold higher.) Questions/remarks/problems I WILL take serious and will try to answer as good as I can.

But just don't call your self Advanced with an AOW card and a few(hundred) dives.

(Just to make a point)
We had a (Clearwater) instructor with many 1000s of dives overhere a few years back.
He went in to one of our "better"sites and came out screaming, he önly"had 6 meters of viz :)

Last edited:
Some things are obvious... some less so. When a poster puts a specific thread in a specific forum, they do that for a reason. It might be ignorance, it might be they like the no flame rules of a particular forum. To each their own. If you feel a post is in the wrong forum, hit the button found a the bottom near the left of every post and tell us WHY you think it should be moved. A mod (or mods) will inspect the thread and determine if it should be moved. Quite often, they contact the OP to determine their reasoning and try to make them happy at the same time. No, they don't have the final say, but we try not to overly moderate things. However, unless someone ASKS for it to be moved, we will gladly leave it where it is.

Honestly, I just enjoy reading them. The last thing I concern myself with is which forum it is in. I don't have time for that. The mods volunteer their time to that and other things, and thankfully so.

Threads can go from advanced to basic or vice versa real quick depending on who replies and how.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

No it's not.

So wouldn't those peeps with a 1000 dives be the best people to answer questions in a Basic Forum? Who better than the guy that dived all those rec dives?

I admit I am probably in an insey, tiny minority that actually reads the sticky threads, but the definitions are good ones.

Am I WRONG in believing Uncle Ricky's definition is the right one?

Disclaimer: I am an Uncle Ricky fan. :)

No it's not.

On the other hand, a well-thought-out idea, whether presented by a 10-dive newb or a 10k-old-fart is worthy of consideration . . .

That said, I will give the 100-caves cave diver, or the 100-wreck wreck diver . . . etc.'s opinion on considerations in choosing a dive light a WHOLE lot more credence than the newb's input. Now, if the newb posted data about penetration of HID over LED and had the electronics background to back it up . . . . the fulcrum has shifted. :)

I think one of you treats advanced as "experienced" and the other as being steps on the way to technical

I treat advanced according to the sticky definition . . . :)

Honestly, I just enjoy reading them. The last thing I concern myself with is which forum it is in. I don't have time for that. The mods volunteer their time to that and other things, and thankfully so.

Threads can go from advanced to basic or vice versa real quick depending on who replies and how.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Agree, and I thoroughly enjoy reading them.

Posting, on the other hand, can get you in trouble. I will not forget the time that another newb posted something about a necklace bungee in the Tech forum, and I posted a question . . . Whooooo, boy, did I ever hear about that!!! :coolingoff:

The fact is, there is a tier system on forums, and the tech guys do not want to be bothered by recreational questions, but they are happy to mentor the tech-curious. I believe that was the purpose of the advanced forum - where a tech-curious person could go and hear about answers from not-only-cave, nor not-only-wreck, or not-only-deep . . .

And then there's those ice [-]idiots[/-] divers . . . . :shakehead: :cold:

Okay, can anyone explain how "ice [-]idiots[/-] divers" became the above?????

:confused: Wait, what just happened? There was some kind of video in there . . . :confused:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom