If the Bay Islands were gone... Where would you go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robertcrockett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For those readers who love the Bay Islands and surrounding areas. Outside of Central America, where is your favorite place to dive that has a similar vibe and feel. I'm trying to get some ideas for an extended trip. I love Utila but I've decided to venture elsewhere this trip and broaden my horizons. I hate being a one trick pony. So, where have you dived in this great, wide world that is cheap, beautiful and surrounded by a like minded community and good beers. I'm open for anyplace my passport will take me.
PS
I'm planning on staying a month or two (where ever I decide) and interning during my DMT. So maybe that should enter into consideration as well as my Utila type budget.
Help a fellow out, there are so many places to dive that I could spend a year just Googling. The best places also seem to have a far greater "word of mouth" prescence, then an Internet based one anyway.

Sabang (Puerto Galera) Philippines. It's exactly what you are looking for. I did exactly that (5 weeks) and it was marvelous, similar budget, and incredible diving. I still have flashbacks of my time there, then I break out in tears...:D

For those readers who love the Bay Islands and surrounding areas. Outside of Central America, where is your favorite place to dive that has a similar vibe and feel. I'm trying to get some ideas for an extended trip. I love Utila but I've decided to venture elsewhere this trip and broaden my horizons. I hate being a one trick pony. So, where have you dived in this great, wide world that is cheap, beautiful and surrounded by a like minded community and good beers. I'm open for anyplace my passport will take me.
PS
I'm planning on staying a month or two (where ever I decide) and interning during my DMT. So maybe that should enter into consideration as well as my Utila type budget.
Help a fellow out, there are so many places to dive that I could spend a year just Googling. The best places also seem to have a far greater "word of mouth" prescence, then an Internet based one anyway.

What a thread for this forum.

Sabang (Puerto Galera) Philippines. It's exactly what you are looking for.

Sabang Beach, I agree 100% (but Puerto Galera is a rat-hole main city that is happily fifteen miles away)

In the Caribbean? Los Roques (Gran Roque) or Tobago (Speyside/Charlottesville)

In the Caribbean, maybe Bonaire is the closest in some respects - lots of divers and relaxed atmosphere. Airfare to get there is expensive, but once you get there it is pretty cheap and diving is excellent. Shore diving 24/7 is awesome!

IMHO, the best would be Playa del Carmen area, but ocean diving isn't as good as over in Cozumel. However, you have the cenotes there, which are world class diving. There are tons of Mayan ruins in area to visit, too. Lots of funky little restaurants and bars and you really feel like you are in Mexico, much more than Cozumel. You can always spend a week in Playa, then a week over in Cozumel (highly recommend Scuba Club, see my website for photos, videos, trip reports). I also have a video of cenote diving and one of Chichen Itza.
buy the Maps with all the info you need here: cancunmap.com-Your information source
We have the Playa map and the Mayan Adventure map, which combined can give you months worth of places to explore and things to do. In fact, we had such a good time back in 2009 & 2010 that we plan to go back but stay over in PDC next time.

robin:D

In the Caribean I seriously doubt you'll find any place to approach the quality/ cost of Roatan/ Utila... That,s the only reason I suggested Asia. The Philippines, as well as Thailand (from what I've read) and maybe some areas of Indonesia, have a similar cost (low cost per dive plus low cost of living), plus incredible diving (which unfortunately blows the caribean away...:depressed:). After Roatan, SE-Asia is the best bang for the buck I know of...:coffee:

In the Caribean I seriously doubt you'll find any place to approach the quality/ cost of Roatan/ Utila... That,s the only reason I suggested Asia. The Philippines, as well as Thailand (from what I've read) and maybe some areas of Indonesia, have a similar cost (low cost per dive plus low cost of living), plus incredible diving (which unfortunately blows the caribean away...:depressed:). After Roatan, SE-Asia is the best bang for the buck I know of...:coffee:

Codman's got it right. SE-Asia has some of the best bang for the buck. The Philippines especially. I haven't done Puerto Galera but it has all the partying you would want. Dumaguete has great diving but no party scene, Alona Beach great diving and a bit of a party scene.

Thailand has some decent diving but stay away from Koh Tao if you want any decent diving. It's great if you want to do a DM course and party but the diving stinks. The Andaman side's diving is much better, and Phuket is one big party.All the diving I did there was on a liveaboard.

Some areas of Indonesia are a great value also, don't know about the scene, I'll be finding out soon though. ( I'm Lembeh/ Bunaken bound in November)

I haven't been to Utila for quite a few years I probably would be shocked to see some of the new development but I loved it when I got certified. I loved Utila's feel and vibe. For a Caribbean spot that might come close to the vibe of Utila look into Little Corn Island. The diving isn't as varied as Utila but nice in it's own right, it's cheap, and the island has quite a laid back groove with lot's of young people. I spent a month there this Jan and Loved it.

Sabang (Puerto Galera) Philippines. It's exactly what you are looking for.

Funny, I dove 5 sites in the PI - Sabang was my least favorite. Plenty of party girls, dirty little bars, young PI women with guys 40 years older - the diving was not so great IMO.

Codman's got it right. SE-Asia has some of the best bang for the buck. The Philippines especially. I haven't done Puerto Galera but it has all the partying you would want. Dumaguete has great diving but no party scene, Alona Beach great diving and a bit of a party scene.

I liked the diving in Alona Beach better and the scene was not as shady. A little older than Utilia but plenty to do.

( I'm Lembeh/ Bunaken bound in November)

Wonderful place but sleepy. If you like small, out of the way and beautiful you might check in with Living Colors on Bunaken & stay next door at Lorenzo II for budget accommodations with a fun backpacker scene. It's Utilia like - but on a small scale. Paradise, if you enjoy remote and can find entertainment outside of mainstream bars.

You also might try posting in the Indo/PI regional forums for more ideas. Some people love the Gillis in Indonesia, Bali is nice - try Padangbai for Utilia-ish.

Kathydee,

- Sabang was my least favorite. Plenty of party girls, dirty little bars, young PI women with guys 40 years older - the diving was not so great IMO.

I guess I might have chosen my words a bit more carefully. I wasn't referring to the "party girl"/bar girl scene. Just the cost per tank, relatively cheap rooms,choices and the overall quality of diving.

Thanks for the Bunaken/Lembeh tips I"m 9/10's the way to going with twofish.
I'm not looking for the mainstream bar scene, I enjoy remote,and I do enjoy my beverages and young backpackers can be quite entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom