If you could choose a backup computer which would you pick, Suunto Vyper or Cobra?

Which computer do recommend for a backup?

• The Suunto Vyper

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • The Suunto Cobra

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I think there are better computer backup out there, I will post a reply to you

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonscubas

Contributor
Reaction score
I currently dive with the Suunto Vytec and Transmitter, and just in case a separate brass SPG on the extra HP port of my 1st stage. I am looking for a good backup computer. Mind you this is ony for recreational type diving.

I figured a few things, since I already have a transmitter and wrist mount computer I can just get the Cobra and it too would act like an separate spg, with the advantage of being a computer, depth gauge, air time counter, lights up in the dark, and the same RGBM as my Vytec.

With the Vyper I would not have the air integration, and the air time count feature of the Cobra. But the advantage would be that it is on my wrist and easy to read. But I would still have to leave the attached brass spg as a backup.

What advice can you guys give?

I have a Cobra, Vyper as a backup. My thinking was 1 on the wrist, 1 on the reg.

If I were you I'd safe money and go Vyper on my BC.

I would agree with the previous reply, there is no need for something as complex as a cobra. If you want it for redundancy, think about it. You are about to abort the dive any ways, so maybe something as simple as a bottom timer or even a vyper will do. It gives you your bottom time as well as ascent rate.

On the other hand if you are using it for technical redundancy, the cobra and vyper can't handle the multi-gasing so you are going to be using them in gauge mode anyway, so whats the point of something so complex. While you're looking at suunto, consider the D3 watch/bottomtimer or the OMS bottom timer. Cheap, efficient.

Back
Top Bottom