• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

If you dive alone, you die alone ...

Discussion in 'Solo Divers' started by BCSGratefulDiver, Sep 11, 2016.

1. markmud

markmud Self Reliant Diver--On All Dives. ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Hi Rich,

Hmm...I think buddy diving is important. I believe buddy diving should be taught from the start and taught better than it is. However, buddy diving is not the end-all and be-all. Am I understanding your post?

I don't know how people would react to it if introduced later. I think a person who is committed to Tech diving would grasp it well.

Thanks for the thought-food,

markm

Caveat Emptor: The opinions of this diver are his and his alone based on his subjective view of diving. I dive for me. I don't dive for PADI, SDI, SSI or any other agency. I don't dive to fulfill the requirements of the greater good; therefore, I do not dive for the collective. It is OK if you don't like my opinions.

2. markmud

Closed-minded much?

Caveat Emptor: The opinions of this diver are his and his alone based on his subjective view of diving. I dive for me. I don't dive for PADI, SDI, SSI or any other agency. I don't dive to fulfill the requirements of the greater good; therefore, I do not dive for the collective. It is OK if you don't like my opinions.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  3. redacted

redacted Guest

Interesting. For one thing, we would not have as maqny divers. There are divers, perhaps quite a few, who would be unwilling or unable to dive outside the buddy system.

4. markmud

Hi JamesBon92007,

I think we must differentiate your goals for diving, your strategy for diving, and your tactics for diving from mine.

With your experience, you probably have at least 5 times the knowledge that I do. But, much of that knowledge may be wasted on me because I don't dive the way and the places you do.

Our diving experiences are different. We are different. Your opinions about diving are different. Nothing wrong with that. To each his own.

markm

5. dumpsterDiver

dumpsterDiver Banned

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I agree, the buddy system often presents a false level of security, but the feeling of security when diving with another person can be very real, especially for a new diver or when going in a new environment.

markmud likes this.
  6. markmud

Hi awap,

Do you mean that dependent divers would avoid a system like that? Or, the riggers would be too much for otherwise mentally capable people (people who are mentally prepared to take on the challenge)?

markm

7. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Yeah, it's called OW. The RSTC already covers it in the OW certification, how hard the instructor works to implement an understanding and use of the system seems to be the problem. As long as the focus is in fast easy classes, I don't see a change coming.

Bob

8. redacted

redacted Guest

I am not calling them 'dependent' divers but divers who would probably not dive without a buddy. I'm sure my wife/buddy is in that group.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2017
  9. markmud

Hi Bob,

Do you think there is enough repetition and skill practice to create muscle memory with subconscious action in an OW diver class? Even if the instructor does a good job covering the basics?

markm

10. JamesBon92007

JamesBon92007 Great White

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Well, from what I have read here (and other threads) I am not qualified to do the kind if diving I've been doing for nearly 48 years. Suddenly I need a new C-Card to do what I've been doing for decades. For me diving (free or scuba) is no more unusual than mowing the lawn, going to the grocery store, or swimming laps in my pool. I consider riding my bicycle in my neighborhood the most dangerous thing that I do and driving my car is probably second.

Kharon, Bob DBF and markmud like this.