if you find a camera, do you give it back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some cultures believe in giving someone a good kicking for dishonesty and theft...

Ding...ding.... We have a winner!

I think it speaks of the character of the dude who wanted to not give it back.

If you can find the owner it's a no brainer. If the owner can't be located it is a different story.

Hope on a dive and you had an emergency that dude would not want to "keep" his air!

Sarge

I always operate on the philosophy, how would I feel if I lost it and someone found it and;

a) didn't give it back

b) asked for money to return it

c) gave it back willingly

I try and do unto others as I would have them do to me. A good philosophy I think, and I don't act according to how others act or treat you as that's like laying in the gutter with them, the justification being their bad attitudes or actions.

I would give, I don't have to accept their bad actions or be happy about their bad attitudes, but that's not an authorisation for me to act badly as well.

My opinion anyway :blinking:

I go by one simple rule, divers don't screw other divers. Very bad juju and you never know when the scuba gods will take notice of you.

Karma. It may not be an obligation... the 'rule' might be 'finders keepers' -- but the 'right thing' to do is to make at least a modest effort to find the owner and return it. Legal and moral are not necessarily the same thing.

Sadly you are right

Legally right, morally wrong, as other posters have said.........it shows the character of the person.

I'm reminded of two things...

1. The time I 'lost' (stolen) a camera - I couldn't have cared less about the camera, but I really missed the great pix I had on the memory card :(

2. The awesome 'turtle stole my camera' thread here on SB, where somebody found a lost camera that seemed to have become attached to a sea turtle (active, taking pix of said turtle) and used the photos that the owner had taken earlier on the memory card, and the collective genius of sb members, to track down the owner and return the camera (I might be mixing two different stories there, maybe someone can link the thread/s, it was epic)

Anyway, give the damn camera back you douchebag (to the person in question, not the OP)

i'd do what i could to track down the owner of the camera. if i found the owner, i'd give them back their camera. i would hope someone would do the same for me.

Considering I've lost my camera twice now at the bottom of the ocean and had 2 different people return it to me I'd say if I find anything I'll do my best to find and return it to the rightful owner. Some kind of reward is always welcome but not necessary. Usually rewards in the form of drinks are quite well received.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom