If you were only allowed one reg what would it be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm loosely doing a personal survey on regulators to try and narrow down what the best overall reg is now, or in history, (if it is still a relevant model). This is all hypothetical so please respect it as such.

I'll start with the question:
If you were only allowed to have one regulator set for the rest of your life what would it be?

I'm looking for any and all variables that anybody can throw at this, such as different water temps, salt, fresh, DIY servicability, dealer servicability and availability, proven track record, abuse tolerance, ease of maintenance, piston or diaphragm and why. I understand different styles and models for different applications, so choose something that best suits the type of diving that you see yourself doing the most.
Also for those that jetset to far away to remote locations around the world, what can you work on the easiest as far as field repairs if needed.
I'm just trying to boil down what would be the overall average best reg of all time with as many different factors considered. One thing I'm not going to throw in is cost, that will possibly remove too many options.
Sets can be intermixed by brand and model too, such as a first stage by company A, and second stages by company B, if it is a winning combo somehow.
All regs need to be servicable and parts still available, and not by sourcing and scavenging new old stock, legitimate parts kits still made.
Tech divers are also welcome to discuss, and since they typically use multiple sets they need to be narrowed down as simple as possible...back gas and stage etc.
I'd like to hear from people who have had many different types/brands and have a firm non biased opinion based on experience.
Reg techs with open opinions and no brand bias would be great.
If you're new and only have experience with one brand and model then you probably won't be able to contribute much.
Let's get it started.

I am still using the same Apeks DS4 + TX50 + T20 since 1997/98 for rec or tec dive.
I serviced that regs myself for several yrs and either bought the spare parts locally or through mail order from Europe. All my other regs(back gas or deco) are Apeks.

Last edited:
1st: Conshelf XIV
2nd: 109/156

Reasons: Proven, simple, rugged, and more than adequate performance.

(still evaluating DH options)

Last edited:
1st: Conshelf XIV
2nd: 109/156

(still evaluating DH options)

I bought my 109 in 1972, well before the BA was available in 1985. I've always wanted to compare the two, maybe someday I'll get the chance :D

Atomic ST1 DIN first stage with monel piston and other components, paired with a cave-ringed M1 second stage with a magnum lever installed. If we're getting fancy, an Omniswivel inline isolator at the second stage.

Either my current SP M2/195(which I use about 90% of the time now)---or my SP M10/G200 that I've had since ~'89(& still going strong)....

My favorite rig is a Scubapro Mk5 with an original Pilot primary and a 109 alternate. But it would probably be very difficult to find a tech who could service it. And performance is only slightly better, at best, than my Mk5/156/109.

Back
Top Bottom