If you were only allowed one reg what would it be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apeks DST first stages, I like the Hog D3 design better but long term track record from Apeks makes it a better buy if I had to choose one. It is a sealed diaphragm which is a superior design, maintenance and tuning are easy and cheap. Swivel turret and fifth port makes it a bit more versatile than the DS4.

Poseidon Jetstream second stages, tried and true design, very simple to service and tune if you know what you're doing, bulletproof design.

Omniswivel ball swivel adapters on them to keep opv's off the first stage and allow use of normal hoses.

Late model SP Mk5 with 156 second.

Conshelf 14 or 21 firsts. They hardly ever need service and when they do its a piece of cake with a few tools. Parts are everywhere and cost very little.
I can live with a lot of different seconds like 109, BA, g250's, conshelf metal or plastic but since I can only have one I choose the BA. It's metal so it can take the abuse. To me they hold their tune better than the non-balanced version, they service easy, and once you have them current parts are a piece of cake to find. They beat the conshelf 14 only because I can turn the knob if I need to.

I am biased as anyone who knows me can tell you. I dive mostly freshwater. Temps can range from mid 30's in the great lakes and quarries to upper 80's and even 90 in the one lake. Most of the sites are prone to silting. Some have heavy vegetation. One you even have to do a version of a kelp crawl to get to some areas. Don't dive that one much any more. I started diving with a Sherwood Brut and moved into an Oceanic Delta 3 with CDX 5 sealed first stage. I liked that reg and still have a CDX5 1st stage as well as a DX4. They are back up back back up regs. The DX4 is on my bench tank to provide a blow gun. I don't use them in the water because of the bull crap I have to go through to get parts. So they provide bench air supply and tire fills. I was trained as an Oceanic tech but I don't work for a dealer so no parts. Screw that. Plus I hate the design of the second stage internals. Pain in the ass compared to my HOGs.

I do want a sealed diaphragm reg. I want ease of service and access to parts. Even if I was not a dealer HOG offers me that. It's why I have a dozen of them. D1's for primaries and D2's for stages. There's a D3 sitting on my shelf in stock but I like the D1 enough to not see the need to switch to it. I do have Zeniths on my sidemount set up and one stage bottle. Classics on the doubles, single tank sets, and O2 bottle.

If I could only pick one it would be a D1 with a couple classic seconds.

Cheapest used Sh!t (prefer Dacor) I can find, then service it myself using homemade O-rings and lard, just to tell everyone on ScubaBoard how stupid they are for buying a reg from their LDS! :wink:

Now for those who actually care, any workhorse Diaphragm reg, although I prefer Zeagle 50D's, Scubapro MK18's or Apeks XTX50. Real pleased with the Hog D3, but I haven't been overly excited with it at trimix depths, yet.

Poseidon metal bodied Cyklons. High performance in all temps, dry breathing even upside down, super-low work of breathing, and, to top it all off, an undeniable cool factor.

Poseidon metal bodied Cyklons. High performance in all temps, dry breathing even upside down, super-low work of breathing, and, to top it all off, an undeniable cool factor.

Go with the 300's and you can be into the old boy cool!

Go with the 300's and you can be into the old boy cool!

Those are the ones. Early 80s vintage. Love 'em dearly!

Cheapest used Sh!t (prefer Dacor) I can find, then service it myself using homemade O-rings and lard, just to tell everyone on ScubaBoard how stupid they are for buying a reg from their LDS! :wink:

Or you could get real and go with a Mk10/G250, serviced yourself with kit readily available on ebay, and honestly to tell everyone on ScubaBoard how stupid they are for buying a reg from their LDS!
03.gif

But not if you are in the scuba gear retail business.

DIY is not for everyone. It is unfortunate that the scuba industry, with a few exceptions, does everything they can to actively oppose it, including the BS they say at every opportunity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom