If you were only allowed one reg what would it be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hog d1

I'm see a lot of different regs mentioned but I'm not seeing the "why's" and "where's".
That's part of the question.

I didn't answer what I have(those 2 plus 3 more)---I answered what I'd use from here on-------cuz either one I mentioned have been great for/to me......

Apeks for me, like my hog classic but at depth i think apeks takes takes the crown

OK so here's my story.

Started with a MK20/G200B back in 1998.
Since then aquired
MK2/R190
Conshelf XI
Conshelf 21
Cousteau
several MK5/109 and 156 combos
Hog D1
Sherwood Brut

The type of diving I do most is cold water 45 to 55 degrees, salt, beach, sometimes sandy silt, very rarely warm tropical, isolation could be considered moderate where I go if I find myself way up in the northern part of the state in no man's land where field repairs are a possibility.
As much as I love all my regs, if I was allowed only one it would probably be the Conshelf 21 with the 109/156 seconds.
Reason being is the Conshelf has a very long track record of reliability and durability, it's dirt simple to service, parts are available easily on the internet, it's sealed for dirty grimy conditions like beach entry/exits. The SP second stages also have great design characteristics, parts are available through the right sources, they are also a breeze to service, and being all metal they won't crush or crack like plastic.

But I'm glad this is only hypothetical because I would cry if I had to give up all the other regs I love so dearly.

As far as second stages go my favorite is the Apeks TX series. It performs well, is cold-water compatible, and is easy to repair. Kits are available or you can match the o-rings and seat. It doesn't have stupid spline nuts, cover pins, or multi-piece friction rings like Scubapro seconds.

Apeks XTX-50 is what I am on right now and love it. Except ... I have been told that Mares Abyss Navy may offer better resistance to free-flow in ice diving conditions. Can anyone comment in that?

So I started out with a Oceanic Delta in 1999 (and still have it and it works well)

Picked up a Sherwood Brut for a stage reg and the LDS was getting rid of them very cheap. What an indestructible and I believe that it can be fixed underwater. Not the best "ease of breathing" reg...but a solid one.

Then came the Poseidon Odins. The best reg. I have ever used (I have used several other regs from friends) period. You can breath from them left, right, right side up, upside down it does not matter. In an OOA event you do not have to worry if you are giving the reg. in the right side up position. I can also add that these are the only regs I have ever used to does not breathe wet when upside down. Works perfect for back mount as well as side mount. Absolute workhorse. These regs seem to breathe better with depth. I have never had one freeze up even during the coldest of temps while I watched others freeze up. This reg. has stood the test of time and are still going strong. Great for video / photo because the bubbles go out the side and do not interfer with what you are shooting. So the down side to them: Hard to find someone to work on them and parts are hard to find...but those areas are getting better. Cannot use "regular" hoses without an adapter. Because of the surge of gas, post valve shut down and when you turn the valve back on it can be real fun. They will blow your cheeks out.

FWIW, I feel that HOG regs should not be even looked at with this thread. For one they have not been out that long to tell how they will perform in later years. Secondly, there have been way too many threads posted about creeps and HP seats The Deco Stop

Just my two yen worth.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 10:00 PM ----------

I'll keep my Apeks FSR/XTX50. I like the FSR hose routing and the replaceable HP crown. The second stage save cosmetics is basically unchanged. It's proven to be very reliable. Very easy to self service, simple design, I can get parts easily. Not sure about the abuse part as I take pretty good care of my gear. I've used it in a very wide variety of conditions, cold, hot, dirty water, fresh, salt, deep and shallow and bar one incident a few years ago it's proven very reliable.

So I started out with a Oceanic Delta in 1999 (and still have it and it works well)

Picked up a Sherwood Brut for a stage reg and the LDS was getting rid of them very cheap. What an indestructible and I believe that it can be fixed underwater. Not the best "ease of breathing" reg...but a solid one.

Then came the Poseidon Odins. The best reg. I have ever used (I have used several other regs from friends) period. You can breath from them left, right, right side up, upside down it does not matter. In an OOA event you do not have to worry if you are giving the reg. in the right side up position. I can also add that these are the only regs I have ever used to does not breathe wet when upside down. Works perfect for back mount as well as side mount. Absolute workhorse. These regs seem to breathe better with depth. I have never had one freeze up even during the coldest of temps while I watched others freeze up. This reg. has stood the test of time and are still going strong. Great for video / photo because the bubbles go out the side and do not interfer with what you are shooting. So the down side to them: Hard to find someone to work on them and parts are hard to find...but those areas are getting better. Cannot use "regular" hoses without an adapter. Because of the surge of gas, post valve shut down and when you turn the valve back on it can be real fun. They will blow your cheeks out.

FWIW, I feel that HOG regs should not be even looked at with this thread. For one they have not been out that long to tell how they will perform in later years. Secondly, there have been way too many threads posted about creeps and HP seats The Deco Stop

Just my two yen worth.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 10:00 PM ----------

Very interesting post.
I've always wondered about Poseidon since I am half Scandinavian and have the "anal" Scandinavian gene. We tend to be perfectionists and also have a very very long relationship with the ocean which I do believe has become imbedded through evolution.
My other half is eastern European which tends to be very no nonsense and crude but effective evolution.
I don't have any experience with Poseidon but at one point was offered a set very cheap as clearance at a dive shop. I needed another reg set like a hole in the head so I declined, and now thinking about it I may just have made a huge mistake.
I have heard that Poseidons are top notch but parts are an issue.
I still have family in Sweden, so maybe I should go there to visit and see what I can do about getting parts.
I would like to try one of those regs one day, and if they are what I think I wouldn't even blink an eye to switch and use them forever.
Just out of curiousity, what style of reg is the first stage, piston or diaphragm?

I'm really surprised that the Germans don't make regs. The way they design and build cars and are generally very technically oriented I'll bet they could make a killer reg.

Funny you mentioned Sherwood Brut. I had one of those that I got cheap at a dive shop. Probably the worst breathing reg I ever used. I ended up flea baying it along with all the Dacors and other old crap I had including a AL DA Aquamaster that I had when I got into vintage, nothing but a maintenance pig. I felt like a re-enacter using that thing.
It was cool for a while but not the real world.
This thread is going to help me decide which remaining regs need to go on flea bay.
Regs sitting around on a shelf do me no good. I may as well turn them into cash to pay for diving.

As far as Hog I don't know what to think yet. Mine is still so new that I haven't torn it down for a rebuild yet.
The company is only 6 years (or so) old so not much of a track record yet, but we'll see.
How long does it take to get a track record? 10 years, 20 years?

Back
Top Bottom